Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Art Wolfe's Travels to the Edge

I've been a fan of this PBS show since I saw the first episode from season 2. Yes, he uses and is sponsored by Canon...oh well...

If you've never seen it, he basically goes on a photo tour of a country/island/region and takes amazing photos. The videographer is also great, showing alternate angles and scenes on video.

The flow of the show is: Art travels somewhere, usually with his camera and tripod over his shoulder...he sets up for pics and the videographer also shows lots of details. Once they're done photographing that animal, landscape, waterfall, etc, they show 5 or 6 selected snaps Art took.

Here is the site of the show, and his homepage. My favorite episode hands-down is on Iceland. I want to make it there someday after having watched this show, especially since I've only seen it from 30-some-thousand feet in the air. Now that's inspiration.

His abstracts are absolutely breathtaking.

Any other fans? It's kind of hard to catch since PBS changes their schedules a lot. I've had luck finding it on PBS "Create"...your PBS channel with a -3 after it (mine is 21-3, for example).

05-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can count me in as a fan.

One of the things that is blatantly obvious, however, is how the production is slanted to play up the features of the Canon products. I remember one segment from Patagonia where Art is photographing seals from a boat in the surf zone. Salt spray is everywhere and the boat is pitching wildly, yet Art is not concerned about his camera or lenses as he leans out over the edge of the bows. Amazingly, he also produces some incredibly sharp and beautiful pictures under those conditions. Chalk one up for Canon in regards to moisture resistance, AF, and SR. Later he makes a remark about how a FF sensor is essential for his type of work. (Feel the flames about to fall from the anti-FF crowd.) What a great way to feature a product.

All-in-all a great program about a man who has a great job!

Steve
05-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree with that...on the one hand he is sponsored by Canon (one episode, I estimated he had about $15,000 just hanging off his tripod like it was nothing ) while on the other, I know he could produce a great image with any type of sensor (or film).

No matter what products he's using...no doubt years of experience play a huge part. Even getting half-way to his level would a lifetime accomplishment cause I suck

For me, a lot of "great" famous photographers are "good" but Art's stuff is just...right up my alley...
05-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

...while on the other, I know he could produce a great image with any type of sensor (or film)...
So true. My first exposure to his work dates to the mid-1980's. He was shooting wildlife and landscape primarily in the Northwest U.S. and in western Canada and was based out of western Washington state. IIRC I think he was shooting Nikon 35mm (non-sponsored) at that time and doing a wonderful job with it! He put out a couple of books that were featured prominently in the REI Co-op catalog and the rest is history. I think you could buy large print reproductions of his photos through REI as well.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-09-2009 at 08:59 PM.
05-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've got the DVR set to record it whenever it comes on. I haven't seen the Iceland episode. I'll be sure to look for it. I liked the one where he went to South Georgia Island. I'd love to go there someday (I'm a big fan of Shackleton).

Very interesting show. There aren't many photography shows on TV. There used to be a show "Aperture" from the magazine/agency/whatever. It was sometimes good, and sometimes too artsy/fartsy for me. I like Art's show better.
05-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There's an REI store across town...gotta check it out one of these days...

Iceland is just crazy! Glaciers and icebergs, geysers and hot springs, puffins and desolation, cliffs and streams...the landscape is so varied. The colors of the grass and the sun refracting through the icebergs is just so vibrant. The country almost has every eco-system represented.

On free TV...I can't think of any other photo shows. Even on satellite...none immediately come to mind...

Edit: I spent like 5 minutes deciding what sub-forum to place this in and it gets moved The place I originally put it is the only one without "Pentax" while still being "photography related" in the name since I knew brand would come to discussion. Not like I'm mad or anything...just kind of
05-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The show is one of my favorites. Sometimes I get lulled into thinking I too could take such great shots! He is super. Plus, I like his delivery/voice/attitude. Nice show all in all.

05-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Definitely...he'd probably be pretty cool to hang out with, have a couple brews, and talk technique
05-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like watching the shows... Sometimes it seems he's a little awkward about explaining some of what he's doing...little equipment plugs stuck in here and there, perhaps. , ....gets lovely shots, though and it's always interesting places he goes.
05-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seems like sometimes he restrains himself from going "technical" on the viewers...probably 1 of 10 people would know what he's talking about
05-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Moved for a second time? To a forum "unrelated to photography"? Even though it's a photography show?
05-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Seems like sometimes he restrains himself from going "technical" on the viewers...probably 1 of 10 people would know what he's talking about
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I like watching the shows... Sometimes it seems he's a little awkward about explaining some of what he's doing...little equipment plugs stuck in here and there, perhaps. , ....gets lovely shots, though and it's always interesting places he goes.
QuoteOriginally posted by Redwood10D Quote
The show is one of my favorites. Sometimes I get lulled into thinking I too could take such great shots! He is super. Plus, I like his delivery/voice/attitude. Nice show all in all.
I share these same opinions.
And I am not sure if I would like the show if there were other approaches taken in so far as telling us more of what he hopes to capture in the photos and the technical aspects of his settings and such.
I have only watched the show a few times and do get somewhat inspired by what he shows us in our world. But there are just no photographers that I idolize. I respect and admire the photographs but for some reason I just do not put photographers on pedestrals like I may do with few others.
And I think it has been about a month since I was able to scan the tv and come across the show.