Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe hijacking the thread a bit, but who is the group that ranks freedom, and what gives them authority so to do.
Googling "World Governance Indicators" turns up the World Bank Group.

World Bank Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More info here: http://info.worldbank.org/governance/wgi/sc_country.asp

QuoteQuote:
Then again, our press is only free if you toe the party line. Act like Fox News does (pretty liberal itself) and you are vilified.
Vilified by some, but with a huge market share thanks to others.

05-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
As far as the Greek photographer is concerned, he was over the line on the girl, however, he did apologize and erase them.
I have to agree with you there...

Taking photos of a minor without parental conscent is over the line in my book. He's lucky her father was a nice guy. Had it been me there is a good chance I would have fed him his camera. How would you react if some weirdo started taking pictures of your kid at the park or in a mall...

Besides, isn't photography illegal in the tube? I seem to remember the "no photo" signs all over the tube stations and trains last time I was in London.

Pat
05-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
Damn Brit

Common sense seems to be missing from this situation. If a child is involved, the parents have to be approached first. The photographer was dumb and the cops over reacted.
05-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote

Taking photos of a minor without parental conscent is over the line in my book. He's lucky her father was a nice guy. Had it been me there is a good chance I would have fed him his camera. How would you react if some weirdo started taking pictures of your kid at the park or in a mall...
There was a case not that long ago here where a man was jailed for covertly taking photographs of (teenage) girls on their way to school. There wasn't anything offensive about photos themselves, nor had he actually used them for any illegal purpose. The reasoning of the court was basically "he was doing something creepy, which the average person would find offensive".

Personally, I agree with this. I don't really see my camera as a license to be rude and possibly offensive. I've found you can get a surprising amount of leeway out of people by approaching them as a person and asking their permission nicely.

Besides, isn't photography illegal in the tube? I seem to remember the "no photo" signs all over the tube stations and trains last time I was in London.
Unless things have changed since early 2008, no. At the time, I asked a London Underground Staff member, and was told that flashes and tripods were banned for safety reasons, but aside from that I was welcome to, just to please try to stay out of people's way.

I thought this was pretty reasonable, really, and had a pretty fun time down there for a good while. Thank god for SR though - otherwise I would have been a bit stuffed without a tripod.

05-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I know nothing about this particular ranking, but how do you know it doesn't? It simply says the US dropped from its 2005 ranking due to the restrictions put on the press, which is logical.
Because of how high Canada and the UK are ranked I am guessing the ranking is very one dimensional.
05-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Sort of surprising, since the UK scores relatively solid at 92.8% on the "freedom scale". Perhaps London is no longer a part of the U.K.?
my country is too small to be seen from a glob map.
but the neighborhood is RED...
yet I lived in the UK, Canada and the US.. and felt the most free in my home country.
NYC is way up on my list of freedom. London was too scary for me I did not feel safe nor free.

well to be honest I found my true love in NYC and she is american so that kinda change the scale.

about this story-- it sounds wierd... I wonder if we have all the detalis
05-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #22

Because of how high Canada and the UK are ranked I am guessing the ranking is very one dimensional.
My thoughts exactly. that map/chart appears to be very self serving... and very far from the truth. as far as personal freedom is concerned, the UK is probably one of the worst 1st world countries to live in.

re; the father who called the cops. what an insecure passive aggressive *******. his wife has probably emasculated him and now he (weakly) has to prove he's still a man by ****ing some other guy's life, because his dumb daughter's ugly face passed through his lens and hit the camera's sensor.

some guy with an expensive camera is taking pictures of your dumb kid, and what? he'll use them in a portfolio to get a photo contract? hand them on his wall? masturbate to them?

in any of the above cases, what possible impact could there be in the girl's life?

05-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #23

Pat
and then your charge of "he was taking pictures of my kid" will disappear when you're charged with assault.... or when the other guy pulls a pistol and blows your brains out in self defense.

as to how i would react? i would't give a shit. i'd ask to get a copy of the pics for the photo album.
05-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
An interesting interview on BBC Radio
2point8 Street Photography on BBC Radio
05-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Had it been me there is a good chance I would have fed him his camera. How would you react if some weirdo started taking pictures of your kid at the park or in a mall...
Pat
Why always must be a weirdo who's taking photographs?
Was H.C Bresson a weirdo when he took this photo?
http://www.afterimagegallery.com/bressonmadrid.jpg

Last edited by Gio645; 05-13-2009 at 11:30 PM.
05-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #26

Is this condsidered to be ok too?

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/UK_police_order_amateur_photograph...ws_180714.html

the degree of hypocrisy in british law should not be understated.

the same dumb girl in question probably appears in countless gigabytes of footage captured by big brother's eyes all over the country

Last edited by 65535; 05-13-2009 at 10:47 PM.
05-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 65535 Quote
Is this condsidered to be ok too?

UK police order amateur photographer to ‘delete’ pictures at tourist hotspot news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

the degree of hypocrisy in british law should not be understated.

the same dumb girl in question probably appears in countless gigabytes of footage captured by big brother's eyes all over the country
I'm afraid the link doesn't work.
05-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #28

fixed the link

and for the record

4.5. For safety reasons, on our buses, in our bus stations and on Underground stations and trains you must not:
•smoke
•use cycles, roller skates, roller blades, scooters, skateboards or similar equipment
•take flash photographs and/or use a tripod or other camera support equipment
•use emergency exits except in an emergency or when instructed to do so by our staff
•consume alcohol or have in your possession any open container of alcohol
You may be prosecuted for disobeying these requirements.
05-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is it better now?

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/UK_police_order_amateur_photograph...ws_180714.html

Edit: You were faster than me :-)
05-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Not sure what this means.