Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
More and more often, innocent people with cameras are being investigated and arrested, with charges later dropped.
This is no longer a sometime thing, and a pattern of harassment of people with cameras is definitely becomeing SOP for police forces.
What is shocking is that someone on a photography forum isn't concerned about the potential loss of freedom because of this sort of activity on the part of the police.
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Why?
Well, because it's a photography forum. With photographers on it. It seems to me that as photographers we should be concerned about how our freedoms are being eroded, especially when it is being done illegally by police forces that have gone rogue.

05-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #122
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Why?

It's not like all the bitching, whining and arm flapping on some online bulletin board will change a single thing. Same with the media... if you think cops give a rats ass about a day or two of bad press... they know people forget fast.

The ONLY way to change things is for the people who think they have been harassed and falsely arrested or detained is to take legal action against the police force and whoever caused the incident.

Once the government gets tired of paying out 5 and 6 figure settlements, then things may change. Nothing less will make a dent.

Just my 2 cents...

Pat
No, but photography forums are good places to discus these issues with other photographers whether they are pro, amateur or technical people. As a result, it can bring about a resolution. I will be pro-active in my area as will other people in their area/region.
05-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
No, but photography forums are good places to discus these issues with other photographers whether they are pro, amateur or technical people. As a result, it can bring about a resolution. I will be pro-active in my area as will other people in their area/region.
while this is true, and discussion can bring about change, we need to also remember that while there are a lot of people who have bitched about the lack of "rights" very few have posted rules or exemptions into the discussion thread or the sticky thread I started below

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-events-photo-trips/60281-photo...trictions.html

Lets see the rules first so we are aware of them, but remember, no matter what you do, you will always risk offending someone with a photograph simply because you can;t please all of the people all of the time. How we handle ourselves when confronted probably goes a long way to the end result of the confrontation.
05-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #124
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
. . . How we handle ourselves when confronted probably goes a long way to the end result of the confrontation.
This is in part what I was thinking about when I said pro-active.

05-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #125

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What is shocking is that someone on a photography forum isn't concerned about the potential loss of freedom because of this sort of activity on the part of the police.
Is that aimed at me? I would defend personal liberty and freedom with every fibre of my being, I carry in all my camera bags details of the law pertaining to photography in a public place for that occasion when I get 'victimised', but so far (touch wood) it hasn't happened.
All I'm suggesting is a little perspective; how many thousands of people do you think our various police forces arrest/detain/interview every day? How many of those do you think are photographers? I'm guessing it looks like we as a group are being systematically targeted because there aren't that many of us compared to say football fans or some other demographic. Being enthusiasts we tend to spend time looking at forums, reading magazines about our interest and so we perceive these things to be happening a lot, this Greek guy for example and also the chap in Scotland being told to delete his pictures - ok, that is two examples in a short space of time but think about it - TWO - not two hundred, not two thousand, compared to all the people who would have had a run in with the police in that period of time.
As it happens I will be spending a couple of hours taking shots in central London this evening, if you don't hear from me I'll try to smuggle out a report on how it went from my cell! (ok, probably tempting fate a little too much there!)

Safe snapping, everyone.

V.
05-20-2009, 04:20 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
I carry in all my camera bags details of the law pertaining to photography in a public place for that occasion when I get 'victimised', but so far (touch wood) it hasn't happened..
care to share these in the following forum?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-events-photo-trips/60281-photo...trictions.html
05-21-2009, 03:25 AM   #127

I shall try to find the link it came from originally and gladly do so.