Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Are you an Online Junkie ?
I am online every day 9594.06%
I am online several times a week 32.97%
I am online serveral times a month 10.99%
Who is Al Gore and what is the Internet ? 21.98%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Not addicted as so, if the internet dies (it never does that now tho) and I know the reason why. I entertain myself with other things. Movies/books/guitar etc.

But if I loose my ip for unknown reasons, I phone in to my IP provider and they tell me there is no problem at there end. Then I can sit at the computer for 10h stright trying to figure out what is the problem.
Tho, its almost never a problem at my end.

But I guess its good to reinstall windows from time to time

If the internets would die on a wednesday, grrr, that would be bad, thats the day when I chat with my old buddies on a teamspeak sever, drinking a few bears and laughing at old memories.

02-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ummm, no not me. OK, yes...

The days I work in the office, I log in from my 3 office computers in Nebraska to our development servers in Virginia (within shouting distance of our own Mike Riley). The days I telecommute I do the same thing from my home computer and the work laptop. "limited personal use" of internet while at work.

After work and weekends/holidays I surf the net for several forums including this one, or for other stuff, or pull up my old USENET account for some of those old-fashioned newsgroups.

That's why I never plan to get a Crackberry or any other smartphone

Jim
02-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #33
Veteran Member

You know, if it'd been asked last week, I'd have to say, unequivocally. But after the past few days, it's not as bad as I thought, actually. I've been relatively unplugged, between the ol' knees feeling good, the holiday, and trying to learn this new software and all, now that the machine's here. (As I often lament, it's getting hard for me to adapt to newer stuff. There's been so much to do that's been waiting for the new computer to come along, I don't even think I've put a dent in it. Haven't even made a wallpaper yet. )

I think I've either clogged my brain or I have some kind of 'Internet hangover' catching up with me, though.
02-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #34
Pentaxian

We don't realize how much we rely on the internet until it's gone. Watching the Olympics this week and seeing this thread reminds me of the last Winter Olympics, the one nobody got to watch around here. A cold front came through that Friday morning on the beginning of the Presidents Day weekend. Hundred MPH winds knocked along with freezing rain followed by a 50 degree temperature drop knocked out power across this area for several days. Not just local power lines but the large transmission lines coming from the large hydroelectric dams went down. We were out of power for 4 days and it was a couple of weeks before we got phones and cable back. I pay a lot of my bills online and I don't get a paper bill in the mail. I couldn't pay, couldn't call, and got nailed with late charges.

02-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to be going on a cruise from 3/4-3/12. While the ship has internet access, it's pricey and after all the money that the husband and I have spent so far on this cruise, we really don't want to spend that kind of money.

I guess I'm going to have to go cold turkey. How am I going to manage?

Heather
02-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I once discovered my son and daughter sitting at their desks in their rooms (literally facing each other, separated only by the wall) involved in a deep and meaningful rapid-texting conversation.
LOL, what and no photos for later in life lectures for them?
02-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'm going to be going on a cruise from 3/4-3/12. While the ship has internet access, it's pricey and after all the money that the husband and I have spent so far on this cruise, we really don't want to spend that kind of money.

I guess I'm going to have to go cold turkey. How am I going to manage?

Heather
You have a camera, that's more than enough to keep you occupied.