Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Are you an Online Junkie ?
I am online every day 9594.06%
I am online several times a week 32.97%
I am online serveral times a month 10.99%
Who is Al Gore and what is the Internet ? 21.98%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you Addicted ?

I am self employed and I work from the "home" office for the last several years. On Tuesday evening my ADSL modem died. I phoned my ISP and they said they would send someone out. Well I had to call several times on Wednesday to finally get a technician to show up and sure enough replaced the modem and I was good to go. I was offline more or less (I mamaged to sang onto an unsecured wireless signal in my area - connection was spotty but I did get online) all Wednesday and felt sooooooooo isolated haha. I was even thinking of buying an aircard for my laptop I was almost shaking haha (I may do this anyway as a days pay would cover a years subscription .... I always like to have a backup plan)

Aside from the obvious I could not work - I realized how addicted I am to being online. I also have a smart phone and while I was offline I did check emails and made several responses. The only time I have become acustomed to not being online is when we go to Mexico - in two weeks there I might get online twice.

For me the intenet has become a staple of life. I am in the business so to speak and have been online more or less since Al Gore invented it Just thought I would post a fun poll to see if there are other addicts such as myslef.

Last edited by daacon; 05-14-2009 at 07:49 AM.
05-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hello, my name is Michael and I'm an Internetholic....

Regards
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Just thought I would post a fun poll to see if there are other addicts such as myslef.
05-14-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

If I didn't have to earn a living, I'd never leave my computer desk.
05-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

my work computer is online
my home computer is online
i now have an iphone which is online most of the time unless i'm underground or out in the boonies

however i have no problem going offline for weeks at a time, so long as there is something worth doing

05-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is why I have modems (yes two of them) as backups. I NEED the Web!

Steve
05-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Online so much I may need an intervention. @work, @home on the road iPhone I start to twitch if not checking here, facebook, twitter, and a dozen or so other sites. Thank god summer is here and I will be outside more. Not offline just outside.
05-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am also online a lot... home computers (and web server) are online, I also manage the "personnal" computers at work and we are online there too.

And since the cable company has been upgrading the network in my area there have been some short outages here and there, so I sort of "borrow" a few neighbours wireless signal for those short outings.

I also have a crackberry and an ipod touch so my emails follow me anywhere there is a cell or open wifi signal.

Addicted? Nah, more like the net is now a reality of life now.

Pat

05-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I'm pretty much stuck to it like an umbilical cord. I was delighted when our marina started offering "free" wireless - that way, when I'm getting away from it all, I won't miss all the bad news .

Jer
05-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sailor ... You're not truly 110% addicted until you install a high gain wifi antennea at the top of your mast to get the signal from the marina a bit farther away

Pat
05-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Sailor ... You're not truly 110% addicted until you install a high gain wifi antennea at the top of your mast to get the signal from the marina a bit farther away

Pat
Pat, why did you mention this possibility? No . . . . No . . . . . I won't even consider such a thing . . . . I won't . . . . . I won't.

Jer
05-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You're not a junkie until you acknowledge you have a problem. That's what my "sponsor" tells me anyway....

I'm actually endeavoring to unplug more often. The camera helps though the K20D does force me back to the computer to dump. But I'm at least *trying* to make a point of "closing the office" even if I can only get only a couple hours a day.
05-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am not sure why I offered any other choices - indeed it is a part of most of daily lives now much as Radio and TV are/were ..... The good news is the pie chart representation of the survey will be easy to draw

I should have polled how many internet devices do you have ? Maybe next one ...
05-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hello, I'm netuser and I'm an Internetholic....
05-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Addicted...??..!! :ugh: Who? Me? nooo.

Not me, I am not addicted in any way shape or form. I can live without the internet any day I choose to. Nup. Not me mate, no addiction over here. none what so ever.............

Why is it I get the feeling that the only person I'm fooling here is myself.?
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Online 16 hours a day

I once discovered my son and daughter sitting at their desks in their rooms (literally facing each other, separated only by the wall) involved in a deep and meaningful rapid-texting conversation.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-14-2009 at 07:16 PM.