Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #31

mmmmmmmm.....walnut crunch.

05-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
retail stores and franchises invest a lot of money in their store layout and in-store product placement. A competitor may be very interested why TH sells more mint donuts than he does. Perhaps even a different franchise owner spying why he isn't making the same sales, head office treating him different, conspiracies abound. A picture, perhaps several pictures from different stores, will give up a lot of information.

Also, in the other unfortunate example, you could be mistaken for a resource surveyor / speculator: oil, minerals, gold, etc., a rogue hunter. With the not so favourable natural resource rights laws for land inhabitants, perhaps with recent bad experience, many locals would be curious as to strangers setting up photographic equipment.

Of course, speculation. But as always, put yourself in the residents' or store managers position. Stranger sets up a tripod and camera and starts shooting your house; okay with you?

Probably what you should have done is shot the million calorie donut after buying it and the coffee and sitting at a table: it's now your donut, not their's.
First...like "terrorists"...why would spies be using a big conspicuous camera? I'd be more scared of a phone or P&S...but we can't do anything about that unless there's a cop assigned to every citizen and visitor in the country. That is...after an appropriate law has been passed allowing the ban on cameras and the resulting enforcement.

Second...it's a free world, people can enter a store for business if it's allowed. "Spies" for other companies are probably discouraged from entering (maybe some stores even have rules about it?) but it's still legal. My mom works at a department store...she shops at different stores.

Lastly...someone starts shooting the outside of your house (NOT into it) from a public area is perfectly legal. Call the cops all you want. Unless you're in NYC or London, they can't and won't do anything.
05-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I'd have unleashed an obscenity laced tirade and then hung up. Right? No. Fun? Yes.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I personally would have been bloody minded and either asked to see their regulations on photography or simply hung up on the person.
05-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should have said "Wow, you mean you really have a roach problem," at the top of your lungs and hung up and went "eww, gross!" and headed our the door.

On the other hand, I'm surprised cops didn't show up withing 10 nanoseconds demanding, "Put down the doughnut and back away!"

At any rate, your story is a lot different than the situation in this story.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/60550-rights-wrongs.html

I don't think the employees were in any real fear of the store being held up and relieved of its doughnuts like armored car guys are. A jewelry store on the other hand.

05-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some really great responses here - all things I could have or should have done.

Screaming and yelling are not my style at least not for such an inane situation. However I do love the several suggestions of screaming "is that a rat ???" (except Alberta has no rats) maybe "is that a cockroach!" and Mikes calm talk outside the store and then snap a picture of the Manager now that would be priceless.
05-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shame on you! As I looked at your picture my mouth began to salivate and I began to drool. Pretty soon I could stand it no longer and ran out to the car and drove the 32 mi. to the local donut shop where I purchased two dozen of their finest. On the way home I ate them all and got sick. Curse you!
05-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Heh, I remember going to the the school's student association for the architecture society financial audit, bringing my k100D and the tammy 28-75. The receptionist called the guy and said "there's a guy that wants to see you, and he's got a camera" i think in general DSLRs are just intimidating to the general public, it makes us stand out like a sore thumb (more reason to stick with a non-intimidating film camera). Managers should know better though imo. Then again I wouldn't take this much too far... it might be the first time for him to encounter this kind of situation.

All the more reason to try out the DA limiteds.... ohhh, so many lenses, so little time/money!

I'm hoping that the K-7 would look non-intimidating with a limited attached.

05-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #38
Inactive Account

How crazy - no pictures of the donuts. I suppose it is their store and they can be like that if they want, but still...

When I had my business I looked at pictures like free PR, I did have people get upset because I didn't want them putting up flyers or posters in my shop, but could have cared less if they took pictures.

The funny thing about this is the other day I was driving around down here and stumbled across some big giant fences with a building complex behind it with huge signs - "Space and Naval Warfare Systems Division" I thought it looked neat - very Sci-Fi like, and stopped to take a few pictures - the security guys even smiled and stood up straight for me behind the fence at one point then gave me a peace sign when I was getting back in my car. No one ever bothered me with a single question.
05-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Dave, I don't visit here very often but today being the Monday of a long weekend and it is barely 1 degree above freezing with sleeting rain, well you get the picture.

Now, I have read most but not all of the above comments and they have all missed the point. Look at that picture closely, Blueberry Bran bin is empty and so is the Canadian Maple. There is one lonely donut in the honey Cruller bin and this is only what is visible in the picture...... The manager was just freaked of being found out......

Take care,
05-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently, they think there is something - hole-y - about their donuts.

Seriously, I suppose I could imagine something more ridiculous, but I'd really have to work at it.

Forget the donuts, and buy some beer!

Jer
05-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
today I was in Costco with the fisheye about 2 inches from a pineapple and two store employee's greeted me when I raised my head They did not seem to care but gave me that wtf non photographer look
I was at Whole Food supermart once, I fancied the pattern on a large tray full of garlic. Brought out the k10D and some pictures, and was told they don't allow it.

I really don't mind businesses setting up a no picture taking policy. What really tick me off is the attitude they dish out, except for once, my encounters almost always involve employee speaking in a rude, bordering on scolding manner.
05-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seems to have hit a spot with a few of us ... can't comment on all replies ... but a few ..

Ummm Canadian Maple Donuts are well just the best !

Beer is better than donuts there is no doubt - haven't taken a shot in a liquor store yet ummmmmmm....

And I agree some people have attitudes .... One day they pressure the wrong person who will snap back - of course this power hungry holier than thou person will be totally in the right - while being served jello threw a straw in a neck brace
05-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave

I seem to recall, and I can't tell you where exactly now, but about a year ago, this issue was big in many photo magazines.

I shoudl have kept the copy of the mag that I had with the article, and hopefully someone will read this and post a link in the thread I started,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-events-photo-trips/60281-photo...trictions.html

but as I recall, the law is as follows.

You are permitted to photograph anything that is in view from public land, therefore storefronts are OK, and if it is easy to see inside from outside, you can do that too, BUT once inside, it is totally up to the store etc, as to what you are allowed to do. You are no longer on public property, even though it is accessible to the public.
05-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #44
wll
Veteran Member

Been There, Done That ... SO NOW

I just ask, yep, I go up to the mgr and say, that (whatever it is) looks pretty neat can I take a photo of it, I tell them neither their company name, or any of there employees will be in the shot and I ask them if they want to see it afterwords. I did this in a Los Angeles police station, I said your art work on the outside of your building looked very cool, could I take a photo, they said yes.

wll
05-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I said your art work on the outside of your building looked very cool, could I take a photo, they said yes.

wll
If it is outside the building, they can't keep you from taking a picture. If it can be seen from a public place, it can be photographed.