Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Do you get shunned at using Pentax?

Hi everyone,

I was invited to an event for Armed Forces Day yesterday to take photos of the event. I really enjoyed myself but while I was there I ran into another photographer who was wearing a "Media" pass (of sorts) and I noticed she was shooting with Canon. I decided to strike up a conversation with her and began by talking about her camera. The conversation went something like this...

"Hi, that's a really nice camera you have."

"Thanks"

"I see you are shooting with Canon"

"Is there anything thing else?"

I then held up my K20d. She looked at it and kind of shook her head and said "Well".

We had a decent conversation but the entire time I felt as though she was shunning me for using Pentax.

I was also DJing a wedding where I started up a conversation with the photographer. He told me if I was interested in getting serious about photography I needed to switch over to Canon or Nikon.

Another gentleman told me about his cousin who photographs weddings and he had to switch to Canon because if clients found out he wasn't shooting with Nikon or Canon they wouldn't book him.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has found this to be true. Do you get shunned for using Pentax instead of Canon or Nikon? Do you lose business because of the brand name camera you utilize? If you had the choice would you switch to Nikon or Canon?

05-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Only by Nikonians and Canonians who think their camera is God's gift to mankind
05-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Don't worry, my brother is the same. He thinks Pentax was out of the camera market just like he thought Apple was a dying computer brand...
05-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Most people I've spoken to while shooting were either total newbies who were just eager for information and had no idea what the difference is between a Canon/Nikon/Pentax, people who mistook me for a pro (ha!), or other Pentax users (who generally seem more likely to strike up a conversation re: camera gear). A lot of my friends use Canon and we somehow manage to remain generally civil.

05-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Most of my friends shoot Nikon and a couple others shoot Canon. They chose what they wanted to spend on a camera and are happy with their choice as am I. Whatever it is my friends are using to shoot we typically discuss PP and shooting technique rather than the specmanship of any of the brands.
05-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #6

I belonged (notice the past tense) to an art association where a 'pro' was a demigod. Another photographer and I were looking at my new Pentax *istDS and talking when the 'pro' interrupted and said, 'I don't know a single PRO who uses a Pentax.'

No way for an Association officer to act; he could have said, 'I hope you enjoy it and produce some great works for us.'
05-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photographers who actually know something about photography have a lot of respect for the Pentax brand, though they may be shooting something else anyway.
The noobies tend to only know about what they see the most of, which is Canon or Nikon.
I also couldn't really give a rats ass about what other people use, or what they think about my equipment. When I show people my portfolio, I let it stand on it's merits, not the merits of the camera brand that was used.
I will admit that one of my (many) reasons for buying the Pentax 6x7 was because it looked impressive on a tripod.
People are impressed by big cameras, so having one with you gives you credibility, even if it isn't what you are using.

05-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd encounter more confusion than snobbery when shooting Pentax. Some people would think it was some very expensive gear, others were surprised to see the brand still being around. I'm guessing most of the shunning is done by fairly ignorant new camera owners (not necessarily photographers); most pros I've talked to aren't emotionally attached to any particular brand and just pick the gear that works best for them. Often it is Canon or Nikon for ease of lens rentals, availability of gear, ease of finding service quickly etc.
05-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Dom

This always gets my goat.
I could go on a 4 hour rant.

But I wont.
05-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My reply to the CaNikon snobs...
"Why do you care what I shoot with? I simply don't need a $6000 camera to take photos with. Maybe after you have been shooting for 35 years you won't either."
Most seasoned pros that you'll run into couldn't care less what you are shooting with, its generally the RUPs (Rich Urban Photographers) who are so brand conscious.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 05-18-2009 at 10:42 AM.
05-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Damn Brit

I second Mike - Who cares?
05-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There are a lot of "pro" photographers who actually suck quite a bit. Just yesterday I saw a "pro" photographer taking portraits of someone. He was using on-camera flash with no modifiers of any sort. I highly doubt his pictures came out that well.

My point is that the snobby Canon person is probably a "pro" of the same caliber. A true pro, on the other hand, would not only respect the brand, but care more about your pictures than your equipment.

However, I can definitely understand the one observation where clients may not shoot with you unless you are using Canon or Nikon. However, that is more on the client's ignorance side than anything else. They should care more about the final result.
05-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

here in NY a lot of the most famous fashion photographers are still using Penatx medium format .
form what I understand form the people I met .. in the fashion world pentax is known for medium format most of them don't even know that penatx are making digital cameras.

BTW for some of us it is really does not mater what camera we use.. but some clients do care about that.

penatx gear could be the cheap option.

but if you by the K20D with LTD glass for example it could be the pro option .

I dont think pentax is all about the price at all , I do think pentax have better glass then the rest
05-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I guess I don't give a crap what they think. There are 3 basic groups of people. Those that don't know, those that know, and those that just like photography. Those groups can overlap and often do. Some people just need brought up to speed.

Strother Martin: "Some men you just can't reach."
05-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I guess I don't give a crap what they think. There are 3 basic groups of people. Those that don't know, those that know, and those that just like photography. Those groups can overlap and often do. Some people just need brought up to speed.

Strother Martin: "Some men you just can't reach."
"So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men."
Man my brother and I were once crazy for that movie.

I have never witnessed any discrimination or jealousy towards camera brands. I don't talk to a lot of people who call themselves photographers but I have played hockey for a long time and never came across anyone who teased me because of the stick I was using either. All of them will stop the puck provided you know how to hold it and use it to your advantage. Use the one you like best and it does not matter what the other guy is holding.
I know that is a bit off topic and simplified. I am sure there are people out there and even a few around here that can be guilty of such behaviors.