Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

A good camera repair shop in Maryland

I just wanted to pass on that I visited BP-ES photo repair in Reisterstown Maryland and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a small independent shop where they do all the repairs on site. I brought in my K1000 due to the bumper being gummed up. I had expected him to clean it and repair the seals etc but he showed me that it wouldn't be worth the cost. He showed me scratches I hadn't noticed and also showed me that my shutter was off time and sticking. I wound up buying a K1000 off of his shelf (he has a lot of used cameras) that was in almost perfect condition. He even installed an adapter to take screw lenses (Spotmatic) that I can take out myself. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Info page

05-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Hmmm, how much did you pay for the K1000 from him?

Most people send their cameras here; Home $68 I think for CLA.
05-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How did he know the shutter was off time and sticking? Also, what were the scratches?
05-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I paid $130 for the body, a 50mm lens and a removable screw mount adapter.

He demonstrated the shutters by clicking mine and the one I bought using the same shutter speeds. He also showed me on the shutter how it was wearing.

The scratches were on the focus screen. I hadn't noticed them before, I thought they were debris in the mechanism. He showed me that they were scratches and that they wouldn't come out with a cleaning.

05-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the heads up. Maryland isn't exactly the center of getting anything done regarding Pentax.
05-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unshriven Quote

He demonstrated the shutters by clicking mine and the one I bought using the same shutter speeds. He also showed me on the shutter how it was wearing.

The scratches were on the focus screen. I hadn't noticed them before, I thought they were debris in the mechanism. He showed me that they were scratches and that they wouldn't come out with a cleaning.
Uhmmm, just to let the Forum know - I'm sure you are happy wtih your purchase, but . . .

I just paid
$90 for a very clean K2DMD
$68 to Eric for the CLA =
$158 for a factory spec. K2DMD

And this is how Eric tests the shutter speed.

Here is a link to the Forum Camera and Repair Service external links
05-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Damn Brit

If you still have the scratched one,send it to Eric, it'll only cost you postage for a quote.
If Eric agrees with your local guy you can trust him and recommend him in the future. If not,you'll know better in future.
BTW Eric was head technician for Honeywell Pentax back in the day.

09-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just found this BTW, I also have used BEPS before and they do great, fast work for reasonable price. THey repaired my DA* 16-50 after a fall once, and some other stuff too
09-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Unshriven Quote

If it's on the focus screen it wouldn't affect your pictures anyway.