Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2007, 08:54 AM   #1

How to get RAW image into Mac

Hello, out there. I'm new to digital cameras, computers, and forums, so please bear with me. I have a problem. Just bought a Pentax K10, shot my first picture in DNG RAW and tried to get it into my Mac OSX, equipped with iPhoto and Photoshop Elements, iPhoto said I had no images in camera, so I figure it doesn't support Pentax SLR. Closed iPhoto and opened Elements. But when I attached camera to computer, iPhoto opened agsin with the same message. So how do I bypass iPhioto and get me RAW picture into Elements?

04-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

iPhoto handles my raw from my K110D just fine... What version of iPhoto do you have and make sure you run software update just to make sure it's up to date.

iPhoto is setup as your default to handle pictures, which can be changed in Image Capture.
04-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
If you are not using Iphoto 6 and are still having problems with the Raw files, wait till Iphoto opens and tells you it can't find any files. Quit Iphoto at this point and you should see a disk on the Desktop that will probably be named "Untitled" or something other than your system disk. Open this disk and you should see a folder or two in that disk. If you look in those folders you should see files ending with .dmg or .pef if you shot Raw and you may have duplicates in .jpg format if you choose Raw +. Just drag the files into your Pictures or what every folder you wish on the Mac hard disk. Then you should be able to open them with Photoshop Elements or any other program that supports RAW files.

Best is to see if you can get Iphoto updated as it should import them directly as Buschmaster commented. The Image Capture program that controls the import destination is is Applications on Mac OS X 10.x and up.
04-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #4

I know that iPhoto can import RAW files, but I'm under the impression that it actually handles them as JPEGs. If I were you, I'd import my images to a folder, browse them with Adobe Bridge (included with Elements), and open them with Elements's Camera RAW plugin.