Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What do you do when you're an internet drama queen?

I'm asking for honest help. I let things on the internet affect me way too much, and I've created a dislike of myself for nearly everyone that I encounter (not here yet, but it's starting to form). So please, save me from myself and give me some help.

05-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Igilligan

We need to find a support group... I feel the same way and yet I loathe myself even more for answering you...

I am sick! I am in the bay area too, so maybe we could start a group locally.
05-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
emr

Spend less time online. No offense.
05-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spend more time *off* the computer... Go take pictures. Or study since you're in school. Or go out and have a social life that doesn't involve a keyboard. Chase women Join a tai-chi (sp?) class and work on your mental focusing ability. Take up meditation. Go sit West of Hwy 101 and listen to the surf as you watch the sunset...

Lots of ways to go about it, but the most important thing is to find some way that works *for you* to get your mind reaccustomed to the fact that 99% of the internet is irrelevant and is bad for your serenity & karma.

Yeah, I'm being a bit smartassish, but I'm serious as well. There's a helluva lot more important things than the net, and you have to go find some of it that'll help you regain calm.

Jim

05-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No camera.

Or else believe me I would never be online now.
05-21-2009, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

if things on the internet affect you too much and it gets under your skin, get off the internet.

or learn to just deal with it

Gooshins guide to pissing people off while not giving a flying ****:

1. avoid direct insults with no explanation, particularly with people you have never dealt with. I call people idiots all the time, but i usually try to add an explanation as to why i think they are an idiot, unless we have been "forum comrades" for awhile, in which case no explanation is necessary.

2. proof read what you write, always, you will be amazed how many posts that you write will never see the light of day just by scanning over your own ideas once or twice, and realizing that it may be TOO MUCH.

3. before you make a post, ask yourself "is it worth it?"

4. if you're going to fight for what is right, you better have a bag full of ammo, and be ready to admit defeat when things go south.

5. assume everyone is an idiot and work UP, the good guys will shine through

6. remember the golden rule of the internet, no one really gives a f\/ck

7. some people just like to boom and wave their flags on the internet, you got to be able to recognize it and just let it slide

8. if someone talks shit to you, check their post count and join date. Forum seniority is serious business.

9. Even if you think you are right, half the forum will think you are wrong, even if they nod in agreement. Some people are just idiots, and no amount of arguing will change their stance.

10. if you provoke out of boredom, be prepared for a rebuttal

11. take breaks, really, no one cares if you are on the forum or not, unless you are gone for TOO long, then some people start to think you are dead, those are the guys you can call friends.

12. ALWAYS REMEMBER that how a person is like on the forums is totally different than how they are in real life, you can ask any of toronto-group guys that have met me in real life... (if they say anything negative its all a big lie!)

13. HAVE FUN WITH IT! The internet is both a place of learning and a playground, really, its just one big social experiment, and you can either be the mouse or the scientist.
05-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
No camera.

Or else believe me I would never be online now.
buy a cheap camera and take some pictures, might be a downgrade but is it photography that you enjoy or having nice equipment? you seem to be able to take nice photos.

and stop telling everyone you don't have a camera, we all know.

edit: gooshin's post above is classic

05-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pretty good list there, Gooshin

.... for an idiot.

Pretty much all of what everyone has said above is good advice - and not limited to the interwebs either. The real world is surprisingly similar.

Life is short. The universe is a pretty big place. We're each pretty tiny and insignificant by comparison. So don't take yourself too seriously, but be serious about enjoying life.
05-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I might adopt Gooshin's post as my new charter.

That was simply amazing.
05-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Igilligan

Yeah.... we need another Gooshin
05-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
8. if someone talks shit to you, check their post count and join date. Forum seniority is serious business.
The Internet is serious business - Encyclopedia Dramatica
05-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Make a point of meeting the people you correspond with if possible. You'll probably find you are less of a jerk to people you know firsthand.
At least it tends to work that way with me.
Unfortunately, I don't think I've met anyone from here yet.....
I've had several people tell me they were surprised when they met me.
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Yeah.... we need another Gooshin
No we don't.
05-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I think I might adopt Gooshin's post as my new charter.

That was simply amazing.

You're feeling better already aren't you?
05-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Make a point of meeting the people you correspond with if possible. You'll probably find you are less of a jerk to people you know firsthand.
At least it tends to work that way with me.
Unfortunately, I don't think I've met anyone from here yet.....
I've had several people tell me they were surprised when they met me.
When they met you and you DIDN'T rip their heads off or wrap their testicles in rusty barbed wire?

I can imagine!
Closed Thread