Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just Let Me Brag And Be Excited For A Minute

Well one of the tales we recently heard was from a fellow around here who had gone to his closing Ritz/Wolf store and got the Pentax grip for $43. That stunk just enough to make me go back to my store earlier this week to see what they had left but they have closed and the store is empty. For $43, I would have much rather used the Pentax jobber and maybe resell my third party grip.

But speaking of deal of the month. This one is good but much like some of the things I have read on the forum, some will have difficulty fully appreciating the beauty of this deal. But here goes.

They make these composite hockey sticks that are way expensive but cool. (until you break it of course) So you can imagine how much more likely they are to last and be durable compared to even wood covered with carbon fiber sticks, which is what most goaltender sticks are. Wooden sticks can start at $45 and some have lasted me between 1 and 2 years. Composite sticks can be $140 and I do not know how long they last.

A guy last night was telling me that our Cargo Largo, a salvaged and unclaimed merchandise freight store, had the Reebok composite goalie sticks for $40. I called him a liar. No way they are $40. Unless they are junior size and left handed. I could not rest this morning so I took the kids to Cargo Largo to investigate.

I did some browsing around, got some stuff for my wife and kids so perhaps the trip would not be a complete loss and then made my way to the sporting goods. Now also many times in the past when this guy tells me about cheap stuff at Cargo Largo, by the time I get there, it's gone. But I was hoping for some good deals on other stuff in case the sticks were gone. I get to the goalie sticks and they have two left. I take some measurements and hold it; look it over but it has a $69 price tag on it. That bastard made me drive here and now I have to justify to my wife why I spent 70 bucks on this stick when I have two at home that combined were 90. So I grabbed the one without a clear price tag and we go to check out.

The clerk has trouble scanning the price, so that part of my plan worked. She brings in another manager. Five minutes pass and she comes back without a price but calls someone else to help who then takes the stick away. A total of ten minutes have now probably passed and she comes back with the stick and says, "Did you want this stick?" "Well, yeah."

"$20."

"$20 total?"

"Yes."

"Well. Okay." ("holy cow" in my head) The guy in line behind me said, "Wow. That's a good price." "Shhh. Not so loud." I replied.

Some places list this stick for $250. This way I will cry a little less when someone is hacking on me and if the thing only lasts 3 years, I will still be triumphant.

While I was in the store shopping, the store's music system played "Ma Ma Ma Belle",ELO, "It's All Too Much", The Beatles, "Hi, Hi Hi", Wings and "Roller" from April Wine. What a fantastic soundtrack!
I am fairly excited as it turns out. RBK Premier II Composite Goalie Stick Sr, Luongo curve - $20.

Thanks for reading and have a nice weekend and great Victoria or Memorial Day.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 06-24-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Remove swearing
05-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow that is a fantastic deal sometimes it just pays to be in the right place at the right time. Congrats best $20.00 you'll spend in while - I have somewhat similiar experiences but never for a 90% discount wahoooooooo.
05-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Soon as it turned to hockey I had to read every word. Great deal and congrats. Now can you just take a K-7 without a price tag thru the checkout in a couple of months?
90% discount = $129.00
05-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey, good going. Hockey has to be my least-favorite sport to shoot ever, (though golf might be a close second: but that's cause the last time I did it, I didn't know it was the Sun making me sick.) but I know the gear is expensive. With hockey, the landscape never changes.

Oh, and I forgot, anyone got a link to the closing-Ritz stores listings? Sweetie and I were talking about a bit of a drive so maybe I could pick their bones for a flash unit.

05-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Oh, and I forgot, anyone got a link to the closing-Ritz stores listings? Sweetie and I were talking about a bit of a drive so maybe I could pick their bones for a flash unit.
When you find the list, call ahead. Most of the stores here have closed doors and moved the goods to surviving locations.
05-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Soon as it turned to hockey I had to read every word. Great deal and congrats. Now can you just take a K-7 without a price tag thru the checkout in a couple of months?
90% discount = $129.00
Wishful thinking. But Go Penguins Go.
05-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's a great deal for a composite goalie stick. I love a great hockey story!

If you want you can try to sell it on modsquadhockey.com.

05-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just registered at that site. It seems interesting enough.
Have not yet decided if I sell the stick or play with it. As it is now, I only play about four hours a week so my wood sticks can last a year I think and I always like to have two sticks. But I really need to think about replacing almost every other piece of my equipment and even if I could get $100 for this composite stick, that could be put down towards newer equipment.
I have cat's eye on my Itech but not KatzEye on my Pentax.
I have a friend my age who has not played in at least three years so I am sure his gear is just sitting, rotting in his basement. I have urged him several times this passed year to get back into or sell me his gear so one of us can put it to use. I sent him the little story about this stick in hopes of him carefully considering what he wants to do.
05-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh you found my grip!

You can return it at any time.