Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Leica, why 4000 euros?

This isn't pentax related, but I didn't know where else to put it.

I was surfing today, and I found out those trendy leica dSLRs go for no less than 4000 euros! What's the reason they're THAT expensive?

05-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
probably because somebody somewhere thought that Leicas were better than most of the other cameras around...
I don't think I agree with those people, probably fine optical tools but I don't think you're getting anything so special for this kind of money.. maybe just a big red dot..
..I'd take Pentax over Leica anytime anyday..
05-23-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

"Leica, why 4000 euros?"

Mystique+Very high European production costs compared to Asia.
05-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

"Leica, why 4000 euros?"

Snob appeal is expensive.

05-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Leica is the ultimate photographic end to the law of diminishing returns.
05-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
emr

Because they can.
05-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My Leica was $5

05-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Because they can.
hahahahah!!!
05-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They figure each letter is worth about as much as most other cameras are individually
L = €800 + E = €800 + I = €800 + C = €800 + A = €800 = €4000.

Thank Goodness it's not Panasonic.
05-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
This isn't pentax related, but I didn't know where else to put it.

I was surfing today, and I found out those trendy leica dSLRs go for no less than 4000 euros! What's the reason they're THAT expensive?
are you looking at the digilux 3? really no reason to buy that when there's a similar panasonic model
05-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Leica is not a camera brand.

Leica is a luxury brand.

Leica is to, say, Pentax or Oly or Nikon or Canon as a mechanical Rolex is to a Seiko quartz watch. The Seiko is cheaper, and in fact does a much, much better job at keeping time than a Rolex, but a Rolex has got the cachet, the myth, the aura, the romance - ie, the BS - that surrounds it and inflates the price.

It's kinda funny how the world of watches sorta parelleled the camera - just as cheaper, more versatile Japanese RFs (and later, SLRs) diminished the demand for a rangefinder that was handcrafted by mystical elves deep in the black forest (or whatever Leica says it does to make cameras), so did the quartz watch nearly wipe out the Swiss watch industry.

Another nail in the coffin was, of course, the AF revolution of the late eighties and nineties. Nearly wiped 'em off the face of the Earth. Only as a luxury camera (check out Leica's a la carte page - most of the people buying 'em are lawyers or concert violinists or what have you) did it keep going.

"Dentist cameras", as they're ironically known. Ironic, because you can't actually use 'em for dental photography (you need macro for that!)
05-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Leica is not a camera brand.

Leica is a luxury brand.

Leica is to, say, Pentax or Oly or Nikon or Canon as a mechanical Rolex is to a Seiko quartz watch. The Seiko is cheaper, and in fact does a much, much better job at keeping time than a Rolex, but a Rolex has got the cachet, the myth, the aura, the romance - ie, the BS - that surrounds it and inflates the price.

It's kinda funny how the world of watches sorta parelleled the camera - just as cheaper, more versatile Japanese RFs (and later, SLRs) diminished the demand for a rangefinder that was handcrafted by mystical elves deep in the black forest (or whatever Leica says it does to make cameras), so did the quartz watch nearly wipe out the Swiss watch industry.
as easy and fun as it is to bash leica, they truly have some very top notch stuff that is better than the competition. it's the same as an fa35 vs fa31 kind of argument.

and it is the japanese now who give leica the most support

Another nail in the coffin was, of course, the AF revolution of the late eighties and nineties. Nearly wiped 'em off the face of the Earth. Only as a luxury camera (check out Leica's a la carte page - most of the people buying 'em are lawyers or concert violinists or what have you) did it keep going.
did you know Leica had patents for AF ans sold to Minolta?
Minolta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
05-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Because it's made in Tschermany, and a Leica body will outlast its owner. No such thing from any DSLR manufacturer nowadays.
05-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
as easy and fun as it is to bash leica, they truly have some very top notch stuff that is better than the competition. it's the same as an fa35 vs fa31 kind of argument.
Would you pay for Leica gear at RRP? Three grand for a fast fifty - man, I can only hope it does my laundry as well.

As for AF, well, you said it. Leica made a conscious decision not to bother with it.
05-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Would you pay for Leica gear at RRP? Three grand for a fast fifty - man, I can only hope it does my laundry as well.
i wouldn't, but a lot of people don't buy leica gear at MSRP.
and many would claim that it is the best 50/1.4 ever made