Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How to sign my photos

Recently, I produced some photos that have gotten a bit of attention, and people are asking for prints, often poster-sized. How should I sign them? Front? Back? With a Sharpie? Dated? If dated, the date of the photo or the date of printing?

Oh, and if anyone's interested, the photos in question appeared in an online arts magazine here: carte blanche.

05-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #2

I typically want my signature to be as unobtrusive as possible so I sign mine in pencil on the inside mat of a double matted photo. For non-mounted photos, I have seen others sign right on the photo with a Sharpie, but with an image as dark as yours in the corners you would need to use a silver Sharpie.
05-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Royal Quote
Recently, I produced some photos that have gotten a bit of attention, and people are asking for prints, often poster-sized. How should I sign them? Front? Back? With a Sharpie? Dated? If dated, the date of the photo or the date of printing?

Oh, and if anyone's interested, the photos in question appeared in an online arts magazine here: carte blanche.
Jim, I like your images, well done!

And thanks for the thread, i will be interested in the replies.

I've been framing my photos and selling them in a local store. I've been signing them on the single mat with the signature in the lower right edge below the photo and hte title on the lower left. Use a gold or silver fine edged pen call a "pentel" i think, or something like that. Says its ok for photos, Its finer than most felt pens.

It seems like most painters sign right on their work, the advantage being that when they do prints, its on the prints as well. So signing right on an image seems like it has precedent with the painting community.

Some online printers, like Costco, can put a black or white thin edge around the image. I've seen some photographers put their signature on a white edge.
05-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think i like the idea of signing on the white border of the poster. I will ask the print shop to print them just like that.

And thanks for the compliment on the photos themselves, Phil. It always pays to carry your camera.

05-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
And to the moderator who moved this thread into the "Pentax Cameras" area... What does signing photos have to do with Pentax hardware? This was a general photography question.
05-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no idea who moved it, I'll put in in Gen Photog.

Anyway to the question, I go to an art supply store and get 'paint pens' in various colours. Silver, white and black. I sign the actual print as small as possible and date it for the month/year when the shot was taken. If you are going to make it a limited print. Pick a number like 999 and number the back with 27/99 or whatever. I would always have a sticker with info about yourself, web site and a bit about your work on tha back of every print.