Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Help identifying a submarine

I was in Alaska last week on a cruise, and my wife and I were taking in the sunshine and the scenery on our deck chairs when we noticed this thing come sailing by in the opposite direction, closely followed by a US Coast Guard cutter...

Can anyone help me identifying what class of submarine this is? Or even which country it belongs to?

Last edited by kcmadr; 08-06-2009 at 06:20 PM.
05-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
Damn Brit

If I tell you, I'll have to kill you.
05-30-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More space behind the sail than in front of it suggests a missile boat. The tail fin is designed for underwater and the square top suggests at least 1970s (guessing - naval architecture tends to be way behind the bleeding edge). It hasn't got a fence ... do American boats have fences on their tail fins these days? Did they ever have fences? I/we used them on A Class catamarans in the late 1970s and early 1980s, about 10 years before Boeing put them on their aircraft wings, and that gets me confused about when technical advances happened.

Sorry. Lots of speculation but no facts
05-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Can anyone help me identifying what class of submarine this is? Or even which country it belongs to?

Looks to me like a Los Angeles class boat. Don't know which one.

05-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
Looks to me like a Los Angeles class boat. Don't know which one.
I second that guess, and it'll be one of the earlier ones since the diving fins are on the sail instead of on the hull. The fins on the sail also rules out the Virginia and Seawolf boats, while the hull profile doesn't fit the Ohio class ones.
05-31-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You were in Alaska, right. It must be USS ALASKA, SSBN 732..

Cheers. Mike.
05-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

If it is a U.S. sub, I'm guessing it is in the Los Angeles class and it is quite possibly the USS San Francisco or one of her sisters. The only two U.S. subs that I'm aware of that had the fin rise above the deck line was the LA class and the Ethan Allen Class such as the old U.S.S. Thomas Edison. I thought all of the Ethan Allen class had been dismantled in 1997 or later.

The length of a sub behind the sail can be deceptive in U.S. subs due to some being fitted with a section for SEAL delivery.

05-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The length of a sub behind the sail can be deceptive in U.S. subs due to some being fitted with a section for SEAL delivery.
In those northern waters I get an image of them popping out the hatch and immediately being clubbed for their pelts.
05-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to all the above for the input.

Although no expert or enthusiast, after some digging I am inclined to agree with the opinion of it being a Los Angeles Class US Submarine.

Interesting scenario that last one: ordinary seal hunter armed with club vs. US NAVY SEAL armed with who-knows-what.

06-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
More space behind the sail than in front of it suggests a missile boat. The tail fin is designed for underwater and the square top suggests at least 1970s (guessing - naval architecture tends to be way behind the bleeding edge). It hasn't got a fence ... do American boats have fences on their tail fins these days? Did they ever have fences? I/we used them on A Class catamarans in the late 1970s and early 1980s, about 10 years before Boeing put them on their aircraft wings, and that gets me confused about when technical advances happened.
It's floating. So it's not a Collins class.
06-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
It's floating. So it's not a Collins class.
I don't know that any non-aussie would get that but damn
06-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
I don't know that any non-aussie would get that but damn
Come on now, what are a few little problems on a new boat such as the combat systems, noise and engine break downs.
06-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Everyone knows you can't identify a sub with a photo. Do you have any underwater audio recordings you can post?
06-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Everyone knows you can't identify a sub with a photo. Do you have any underwater audio recordings you can post?

ping ping ping ping
06-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
ping ping ping ping
That was a grey whale, now you're just trying to confuse people.