Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*sigh*

Sometimes I forget that jokes don't exist on the internet.

06-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
*sigh*

Sometimes I forget that jokes don't exist on the internet.
What can you do.

Film still works, though.
06-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Er... it's DRAMA queen!

Milton Berle and Dame Edna are DRAG queens

Pat
Shhh. Don't point out a conservative's Freudian slips. It only makes them worse.
06-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i still don't get it. is the current (and "original rebel", as they are identical in your view) quality sufficient? if yes, what's the question? you are unhappy about paying now that rebel price and getting a k20d (with a useless 14MP sensor, and pointless higher iso capability, and worthless better dinamic range, but at least with decent build quality, weather sealing and better ergonomy), where's the problem? or is it not enough, and you have been waiting for so long for an improvement in [...] but it never seems to come? in that case, would you name that dream improvement?

nanok, scratching head in disbelief

06-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I picked up a Rebel a few days back. It was a piece of plastic crap with terrible screen and controls that might snap at any moment, providing no tactile feedback. Even if it could produce the same image as my K20D (not!) the experience of using it would be so pathetic as to compare with the experience of reading the "banter" in this thread.

But hey, if it's good enough for you go and use it. You'll never know the joys you're missing.
06-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I picked up a Rebel a few days back. It was a piece of plastic crap with terrible screen and controls that might snap at any moment, providing no tactile feedback. Even if it could produce the same image as my K20D (not!) the experience of using it would be so pathetic as to compare with the experience of reading the "banter" in this thread.

But hey, if it's good enough for you go and use it. You'll never know the joys you're missing.
Canon bashing is so low...

I've used both Pentax and Canon cameras, the image quality I get from them is the same in my eyes. Of course there are differences, but that comes from them being newer. I'm just saying that the image quality has really never jumped so far into amazingness that I dropped everything and bought the camera. If you'll remember my original post was about the K-7 test images looking no different than the ones from other cameras that I've seen. There's no need to flame me for my opinion though.
06-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #37
Veteran Member

not for your opinion, but for your (vague) question . again: what are you getting at? is something missing, or are you uncertain why anybody bothers to develop new dslrs (and why anybody bothers to upgrade to them spending hard earned cash)?

maybe it is better to look at it this way: you used to have film and cameras. let's keep them separated: the camera, and the sensor. you never expected film to evolve in giant leaps from year to year, did you? if you compare evolution of film in the past 5 years _before_ digital slrs, and evolution of digital sensors in the past 5years till now, i think you must admit the digital sensors win on speed of evolution hands down (which might just mean they are still on their way to maturity, still in infancy/puberty you might say, but nevermind that). on the other hand, cameras, as photographic tools, have improved too (trying to factor out the sensor), having the "film" built in to them has changed their evolution path quite radically, it's true, but i would call that fascinating rather than disapointing. so what is your point?

06-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon bashing is so low...
I was writing of the build quality and feel of the Rebels in particular, not the entire Canon line. Perhaps it is low to point out the obvious?
06-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Are we talking about the original (300D) Rebel? It was a big hunk of cheap feeling plastic indeed, but I still see a lot around 7(?) years after they were released. Seems like they do last quite well, which does surprise me. Terrible screen indeed (1.8", same as on my 10D). The sensor though was actually really nice up to 400 and ok at 800 (forget 1600 unless you were really careful about pushing the exposure to the limit or were doing b/w conversions). Most of the internals were shared with the 10D, and mine still cranks out good images -- in fact, at low ISOs it still holds its own as long as you don't get too outrageous with the print sizes.

Last edited by pingflood; 06-03-2009 at 11:38 PM.
06-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah that's what I was comparing to. I was looking at my own images of the Golden Gate Bridge from my 300D and the ones from my 400D and I really didn't notice anything different in the images themselves, just my skill level.
06-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #41
Banned

Yeah that's what I was comparing to. I was looking at my own images of the Golden Gate Bridge from my 300D and the ones from my 400D and I really didn't notice anything different in the images themselves, just my skill level.
those two use the same CMOS sensor do they not?
06-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #42
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Shhh. Don't point out a conservative's Freudian slips. It only makes them worse.
Are you totally sure it was a slip?
06-04-2009, 06:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
those two use the same CMOS sensor do they not?
Nope. They are both CMOS but one is 10MP and the other 6MP..
06-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #44
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Nope. They are both CMOS but one is 10MP and the other 6MP..
same sensor with more MP's? or two different CMOS'?
06-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #45
Veteran Member

If you have more MP it isn't really the same sensor anymore...

But to add a couple of more details, they changed the microlens setup and monkeyd around with the circuitry to lower noise compared to earlier sensors as well.