Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
You'd be surprised exactly how "free" these countries really are. And your brief statements completely brush off the fact that these countries are "free" now, but definitely were not even 20 years ago. Let's take Taiwan for example. Chiang Kai-shek ruled with an iron fist for many years, and his KMT party ruled the country until they were finally beaten in 2000. While on the outside things look pretty democratic, it's not as democratic as it may appear.

Singapore is another great example, perhaps the best out of the four I've mentioned (South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore).

I didn't brush anything off. My point was that the economy first is not what provides freedom. Chiang Kai-shek may have ruled with an iron fist but Mao squashed people with tanks more than once.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
censorship, china, control, couple, internet, months, people, program, site, video