Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
graphicgr8s

Chavez

Heard on the radio last night Hugo Chavez said with the Obama on the throne that he and Castro would turn out to be the conservatives.

06-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

and when did anyone begin to take him seriously?

Jason
06-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
and when did anyone begin to take him seriously?

Jason
When he took over a country . . .
06-06-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

He didn't take over anything, he was elected..and re-elected.

That is beside the point. May reply was based on...it's ironic how when Chavez constantly criticized Bush how everyone thought he was a mad man, now he says something about Obama and someone takes his quotes are legitimate.

Jason

06-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter

He didn't take over anything, he was elected..and re-elected.

That is beside the point. May reply was based on...it's ironic how when Chavez constantly criticized Bush how everyone thought he was a mad man, now he says something about Obama and someone takes his quotes are legitimate.

Jason
Actually, when someone can't be un-elected, I call that being taken over. Secondly, I know people that have left and lost there jobs for not being on board with Chavez. Finally, no one said he wasn't nuts. What I said was, anyone capable of taking over a country is serious.

Before you think Chavez is "legitimate" I recommend you study the situation thoroughly. Fidel Castro has been "elected" as well. However, Chavez got elected and then got laws passed to make him "temporary" dictator.
06-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I dont feel any love for Chavez either, nor do I think defending him reflects my point of view, I was simply stating that he was elected, not a coup, and he has been re-elected since. Whether or not he cant be "un-re-elected" seems to be a matter of opinion since he is not considered a dictator, unless you feel like that is your best definition for him, but not that of the US government. (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ve.html#Govt)
Secondly, and again I will point out...his statements have always been kooky, and again I say, why take his statements with any credence now, just because they are about Obama?
Lastly, I never said he was "legitimate", rather making fun of those who think his quotes have any relevance...unless it fits your view about Obama, then it seem quite convenient.

Jason
06-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I dont feel any love for Chavez either, nor do I think defending him reflects my point of view, I was simply stating that he was elected, not a coup, and he has been re-elected since. Whether or not he cant be "un-re-elected" seems to be a matter of opinion since he is not considered a dictator, unless you feel like that is your best definition for him, but not that of the US government. (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ve.html#Govt)
Secondly, and again I will point out...his statements have always been kooky, and again I say, why take his statements with any credence now, just because they are about Obama?
Lastly, I never said he was "legitimate", rather making fun of those who think his quotes have any relevance...unless it fits your view about Obama, then it seem quite convenient.

Jason
I haven't mentioned Chavez in the context of Obama. I merely said people took him seriously in 1992 and 1998. I have maintained that he is dangerous from the get go. Obama showed naivety by interacting with him etc. But I will reiterate the fact that Chavez is in fact a dictator. He got elected after a failed military coup attempt in 1992. He got elected in 1998 and the Constitution was redrafted in 1999 which extended the term of president to 6 years instead of 5 with a 2 term limit. Chavez has attempted to remove term limits all together and has said he would like to be prez for 25 years. I have friends that had to leave Venezuela because if you don't agree with his policies, you can't work there and could possibly end up in jail or worse.

06-07-2009, 01:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Venezuela has held half-a-dozen major elections for national offices and issues since 1998, the year of Chavez’s first presidential victory. That election saw Chavez beating his nearest rival by 16 percentage points, 56 percent to 40 percent. In 2000, in a re-election required by the new Venezuelan constitution, Chávez increased his winning margin, 60 percent to 38 percent. In each case the elections were monitored and certified by a variety of observers including the Organization of American States, the European Union and the Carter Center. Monitored and certified.

His proposal for for term limits expansion from 6 years to longer was defeated by a national vote a couple of years ago...therefore proving he is not termed as a dictator. A Dictator would not have held a vote, nor followed the will of the vote of the people. This is just one example.

Facts is facts.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 06-07-2009 at 02:00 AM.
06-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Pass the Kool-Aid. I'm not going to argue the point anymore with someone who has never been to Venezuela not knows people there or from there.

Edit: BTW, Fidel Castro is not a dictator either because he has been elected.
06-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
graphicgr8s

Venezuela has held half-a-dozen major elections for national offices and issues since 1998, the year of Chavez’s first presidential victory. That election saw Chavez beating his nearest rival by 16 percentage points, 56 percent to 40 percent. In 2000, in a re-election required by the new Venezuelan constitution, Chávez increased his winning margin, 60 percent to 38 percent. In each case the elections were monitored and certified by a variety of observers including the Organization of American States, the European Union and the Carter Center. Monitored and certified.

His proposal for for term limits expansion from 6 years to longer was defeated by a national vote a couple of years ago...therefore proving he is not termed as a dictator. A Dictator would not have held a vote, nor followed the will of the vote of the people. This is just one example.

Facts is facts.

Jason
These "elections" were a joke and everyone knew it at the time.
06-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

How do you know who I know or don't know or where I have traveled? Don't assume you know anything about me just because I don't name drop in my sources. No need to brag, but my passport probably has more ink in it anyone you know. I'd bet on that. (And yes, I have been to Venezuela, twice)

Perhaps you both should inform the CIA as they don't classify him as a dictator...perhaps they need to be corrected? I don't care.

Jason
06-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
graphicgr8s

Bet everyone thinks the Iran elections were legit.
06-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter

How do you know who I know or don't know or where I have traveled? Don't assume you know anything about me just because I don't name drop in my sources. No need to brag, but my passport probably has more ink in it anyone you know. I'd bet on that. (And yes, I have been to Venezuela, twice)

Perhaps you both should inform the CIA as they don't classify him as a dictator...perhaps they need to be corrected? I don't care.

Jason
You would loose. My boss probably has more currently than anyone I know.
06-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
Damn Brit

Chavez is considered dangerous because he stood up to the IMF, World Bank and the Corporatocracy by refusing to let them rape his country and put a damper on the Empire Building ambitions of the U.S.
06-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Chavez is considered dangerous because he stood up to the IMF, World Bank and the Corporatocracy by refusing to let them rape his country and put a damper on the Empire Building ambitions of the U.S.
He is considered dangerous because people that don't support him have to leave or end up with major problems.