Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
WOW. this is one heck of a story Seaain! if you ever publish a book I will buy a copy for sure. I really appreciate you sharing that. its the kind of thing my father never told me about. in a strange way im kind of envious. my grandfather fought in WWII and Korea as well, also Vietnam, but he was an MP. I really wish I had a pile of photos to look through like that. even the most mundane of photos can tell a story of the time and place. a great treasure trove of history you have!
I am not kidding when I say that we might want to start a thread or even a discussion area called "Photos of our Fathers."

Séamuis, the first version may well be a web site. I'll let you know as that progresses.

woof!

06-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #47
Forum Member

guy at the top

I'm convinced that that's true. Many of Hitler's weaknesses are well known.

Just one detail out of many was that while the D-day night-time assault had started they did not want to wake him up out of fear... and this bought some precious time for the Allies on the beach.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Hitler surrounded himself with a bunch of meglamaniac bastards. Nothing good was going to come out of a group made up of Himmler, Goebells, Goring, Hinckel, Buch, Bruchner, Buttman, Eckart, Frank, Hossenfelder, Kube, Kerrl, Rust, Ribbentrop, Schemm, Streicher, Mengele, Eichmann and numerous others. Some even think it could have been worse had it not been for the Corporal Dipshit being in charge.
06-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lc_toronto Quote

Just one detail out of many was that while the D-day night-time assault had started they did not want to wake him up out of fear... and this bought some precious time for the Allies on the beach.
Very true. But besides the fear, most of the Nazi general staff didn't believe that the Norman coast would be the focus of the second front invasion. They were convinced it would come in Calais. They thought they had air-tight intelligence to back up their belief. So when word of the Normandy attacks began to filter up the chain early on 06-June, they thought it was a feint, and I'm sure they didn't want to wake Corporal Dipsh*t to warn him of a false alarm.

Interestingly enough, even 3 months after D-Day, the Nazi's were still expecting the "real" attack at Calais.
06-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lc_toronto Quote
The main one being that ideology's good for starting wars, but not for winning them.

It's why the SOE canned the assassination attempt on Hitler, which was completely ready-to-go - two highly-trained Polish fighters parachuted behind enemy lines to take Hitler out when he was walking alone at his country mansion - because Adolf was doing such a brilliant job of losing the war.

And despite what Tom Cruise tells you, the fact that the Operation Valkyrie attempt failed was probably a good thing. It certainly cost the Nazis Field Marshall Rommel.