Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: what type of cumputer system do you use?
PC-Windows 6542.48%
MAC-OS X tiger, leopard 4026.14%
Linux, Unix PC Or MAC 117.19%
Several of the options 3321.57%
Don't use a computer 42.61%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Do you have any good tips about some good and stable linux? I have heard a lot about abuntu. Could that be a good choice?
Yes, Ubuntu AFAIK currently is the best choice for an easy install of a workstation OS. On my workstation at work (a very cool silent PC from hush systems, Germany, btw.), installing Ubuntu was less work and hassle than even installing OS X, and as an experiment in its newbie user friendliness, I hooked up my K10D the first day and immediately got a preview of my RAW files . While most users I've heard of have had this positive experience of zero-hassle installs, some say that getting good video drivers to work can involve some work, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
I feeling most confortable working in OS leopard
Me too - for most tasks.

06-11-2009, 02:11 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
The age of the OS is almost over. Soon, we'll just be booting from the BIOS into a browser.
Hey, I already told you not to drink that Kool-Aid over at that unfriendly measurebating site
06-11-2009, 02:36 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
I can't hold it in any more.

[rant]
Stop calling windows machines PC's you are completely wrong and are showing just how ignorant you are. A PC is a personal computer not a machine that has windows on it. And more to the point IBM invented the PC. SO STOP CALLING THEM PC'S.

If microsoft says something there is a very high chance it wrong.
[/rant]

I fell better for that and normal service will be resumed shortly.
What should we call them, then? We all use personal computers, Windows, Linux or Unix-based. Unless you have a mainframe at home, I think you use a PC as well.

Or drop the P. Let's all use a C.
06-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PCLinuxOS and Mandriva Spring mainly due to the fact I use predominantly Open Source software for which a Linux OS is needed. GIMP, DigiKam, UFRaw & DCRaw, Cinepaint, KRita, exiv2, jhead and a shipload of bash scripts that tie up my workflow neatly.

Running Linux also tends to keep me safe, internet-wise

06-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #50
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
What should we call them, then? We all use personal computers, Windows, Linux or Unix-based. Unless you have a mainframe at home, I think you use a PC as well.

Or drop the P. Let's all use a C.
Linux box, windows box, mac box.
No I haven't got a server at home, I was offered one but I couldn't justify it really.
Yes I have a personal computer with Linux on it.
06-11-2009, 03:37 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Thought I would never use a Mac, but Windows (XP and Vista) took up 75% of my time on the computer fixig problems. Lightroom2 was fiercly slow, and I thought about cutting my losses and dumping the program.

Not much later, I got a iMac with almost identical spec as my XP machine. Lightroom flew. It was actually usable (no speed demon, but useable)!! In fact, almost everything I did was so much faster.

I now spend 5% of my time fixing computer or OS problems and I get so much more actual work done.

I've actually started doing a few photo jobs because I can actually make commitments now and know I can get the processing work done as promissed.

Just an amazing feeling to have the computer do work for you and not be tied down to babysitting its faults all day long.

Although I still use Vista on the laptop, Mac OS X on the desktop, and Linux Red Hat for the file and web server.

Last edited by amoringello; 06-11-2009 at 03:50 AM.
06-11-2009, 04:32 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Thought I would never use a Mac, but Windows (XP and Vista) took up 75% of my time on the computer fixig problems.
Oh yes, I waste so much time on Windows I can hardly even breathe! I am sure that by buying an over-priced feature-limited copy of the same hardware I will get so much more work done. It'll be so great to get those little smiling bombs instead of real error messages. I'll feel so much happier!

I was wondering how long it would take before this thread decayed. The process always starts with an over-zealous Mac apologist. Logging out now before things get predictable and tiresome. Cults are so boring.

06-11-2009, 04:41 AM   #53

Mac Pro at home with 8 cores, 10GB RAM, 4x 1TB drives

17" Unibody MacBook Pro, for work and mobile use.

Both have Aperture & CS3 Extended suite installed as both came with a license for both a desktop machine and a laptop.

Main reasons:- Amoringello has just highlighted above, I really just want the computer to work, do as it's told and be stable. Just had 2 freshly installed XP machines do a blue screen of death on me in the shop whilst serving a customer in the space of 5 minutes. This resulted in me losing money as the customer couldn't wait. I hate having to use PC's but in my line of work I have to. They are just plain awful.
06-11-2009, 04:50 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
Linux box, windows box, mac box.
No I haven't got a server at home, I was offered one but I couldn't justify it really.
Yes I have a personal computer with Linux on it.
My computer is all over the floor. I shall call it my Winux carpet.
06-11-2009, 04:50 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Hello, I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC.
06-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and one is a old morron with glasses and the other one is one nice guy that try to be funny!

hahahahaha
06-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #57
Banned

those are the dumbest, most annoying commercials ever.
06-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #58
graphicgr8s

Please don't squeeze the Charmin!
06-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
those are the dumbest, most annoying commercials ever.
Pretty much.
06-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #60
Inactive Account

Smiling bombs? Haven't seen those in years. Might be worth looking at what the other side uses once in a while... as far as event logging goes, Windows pales for troubleshooting compared to a good *Nix logging system.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Oh yes, I waste so much time on Windows I can hardly even breathe! I am sure that by buying an over-priced feature-limited copy of the same hardware I will get so much more work done. It'll be so great to get those little smiling bombs instead of real error messages. I'll feel so much happier!

I was wondering how long it would take before this thread decayed. The process always starts with an over-zealous Mac apologist. Logging out now before things get predictable and tiresome. Cults are so boring.