Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Turns out you can use the SD slot for more than just downloading pictures. You can now dual boot Windows using Boot Camp off an SD card. This is very cool. Now, I can just load Windows onto an SD card for the rare occasion that I need to do something in Windows instead of taking up a bunch of disk space. Let's see a PC boot the Mac OS off an SD card

06-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
PDL
Pentaxian

My 2005 Toshiba, and my current one, allowed for booting off a SD card no problem. With SDHC cards and a reader that simulates a USB thumb drive - most PC's can use SD cards to boot alternate, or not so alternate OS's. No big deal – been able to do this for years – just like booting Linux/BartPE from a CD.

Could I boot OS-X off a SD card on non-Mac hardware? Probably, but if Apple Inc. found out about it - they would search me out and sue me until the heat death of the known universe. Such are the actions of proprietary/monopolists.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
06-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
Let's see a PC boot the Mac OS off an SD card
Why oh why would I ever want to do that?
06-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Could I boot OS-X off a SD card on non-Mac hardware? Probably, but if Apple Inc. found out about it - they would search me out and sue me until the heat death of the known universe. Such are the actions of proprietary/monopolists.
Ah, but you see, they've already done that. Computers can also boot Windows and pretty much everything off an SD card.

Nobody's getting sued. Just upload the installation instructions and the SD image on The Pirate Bay. Or a private BBS, if anyone's still using those.

06-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #20
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Ah, but you see, they've already done that. Computers can also boot Windows and pretty much everything off an SD card.

Nobody's getting sued. Just upload the installation instructions and the SD image on The Pirate Bay. Or a private BBS, if anyone's still using those.
Off Pirate Bay – where the site where the owners have been found guilty of copyright and intellectual rights infringement. So – go to the site hosting illegal software to illegally boot OS-X on a non-Mac PC? Now there is good advice. Not the iClone way.

The Elitist – formerly known as PDL
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I give up.
06-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Off Pirate Bay – where the site where the owners have been found guilty of copyright and intellectual rights infringement. So – go to the site hosting illegal software to illegally boot OS-X on a non-Mac PC? Now there is good advice. Not the iClone way.

The Elitist – formerly known as PDL
Correction - they have been found guilty of aiding in copyright infringement. Torrent files are not illegal. The content you can download through torrent files is illegal. TPB hosts torrent files, not their contents. Hence, it is not illegal.

I have nothing against Mac OS. I have something against Mac OS users. They, like America (Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls?), have an annoying way of trumpeting every little thing that happens in their extremely limited environment (severely crippled BSD-based operating system); things they have no merit over - case in point being the subject of this thread. Every other computer but Macintosh has been able to do all of that for years. Suddenly, Apple does it and it's a big deal.

This incredibly cheap integration of what is basically a bog-standard card reader is available as standard on a $350 Acer.

06-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SDXC ready?
06-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
SDXC ready?
Hey now that would be something to trumpet about. Doesn't say anything about XC in the specs.
06-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #25
Inactive Account

That's actually pretty cool. Dual booting off a 32GB SD for Windows means I wouldn't have to actually give up any space on my hard drive. Then again, VMware is just as convenient...

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
Turns out you can use the SD slot for more than just downloading pictures. You can now dual boot Windows using Boot Camp off an SD card. This is very cool. Now, I can just load Windows onto an SD card for the rare occasion that I need to do something in Windows instead of taking up a bunch of disk space. Let's see a PC boot the Mac OS off an SD card
06-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #26

Apple actually removed the expresscard slot from all but the 17 inch model to fit this sd card reader, which is a bit of a weak move, since you can buy an expresscard that reads sd cards, can't do it the other way around. Most laptops manage to fit both those things and more, so Apple has kind of sidestepped here.

They added a firewire port back in though, which might be useful for some.

I just wish I could buy one without OSX at all, I've got no use for it. They are beautifully designed and well built machines.
06-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Out of curiosity, why do you follow this thread then? AFAIK, Robert was posting in:

PentaxForums.com > Off-Topic Forums > General Talk

with a neutral subject line. You've chosen to come in here and bash the Mac users who, like Pentax users, are excited by new developments on their hardware platform.

Not sure why the knives come out so quickly, especially against our own?

I have nothing against Mac OS. I have something against Mac OS users. They, like America (Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls?), have an annoying way of trumpeting every little thing that happens in their extremely limited environment (severely crippled BSD-based operating system); things they have no merit over - case in point being the subject of this thread. Every other computer but Macintosh has been able to do all of that for years. Suddenly, Apple does it and it's a big deal.

This incredibly cheap integration of what is basically a bog-standard card reader is available as standard on a $350 Acer.
06-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Out of curiosity, why do you follow this thread then? AFAIK, Robert was posting in:

PentaxForums.com > Off-Topic Forums > General Talk

with a neutral subject line. You've chosen to come in here and bash the Mac users who, like Pentax users, are excited by new developments on their hardware platform.

Not sure why the knives come out so quickly, especially against our own?
Thanks, Jeff.
06-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey now that would be something to trumpet about. Doesn't say anything about XC in the specs.
Re that. Is an SCXC reader hardware any different? IS a firmware upgrade all that is required to change a HC reader into ann XC? Doesn't matter too much to replace a cheap external card reader, but the built-in ones will eventually become obsolete?
06-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #30
Veteran Member

in the grand scheme of things, as a MBP owner, i have the following opinions:

1-at first glance, i liked the updates. better specs plus lower prices is a good thing

2-at second glance, this is the update that they should have provided in November. To do what is a fairly significant-across-the-platform refresh just 6 or 7 months after their last major shakeup, is actually very un-Apple

many apple folks DISLIKE the move, and here's a few reasons why:

1-you lose the expresscard flexibility--ec34 card readers are hardly expensive, and give you the ability to read multiple formats, should you happen to own or need more than one card type-as I do, and I am sure others do as well.
2-great, they added back FW in the macbooks (now also pros...)...but they never should have removed it in the first place.
3-they still did not adjust the USB port alignments. try plugging in an iPhone and a USB thumbdrive at the same time. or a USB mouse and thumbdrive. except for the tiniest USB drives, you can't. thats a pain in the butt. and im not even complaining about how they only give you 2 USB and 1 FW, down from 3 and 2 in earlier revisions. less is really less, not more.

in most mac circles i follow, many expect to see the November MBP revisions to retain a high resale value, as a lot of people are preferring the flexibility of the card slot.

its nice that they are doing 4gb standard. not so nice they removed the 2nd graphics card in the base model "true" MBP (15 incher). Would like to see how the new screen really looks, but they still stay away from the Matte option on those models.

can't please everyone all the time....me personally, i may sell my 6 month old model and buy the similar replacement and actually save some money, because i could use the cash, and im not one who has used the ec slot...but i may as well benefit from those who'd use it