Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heading to New York with family Need advice?

So the wife and I are taking our kids to NY this summer. 1 maybe 2 nights. We are going to do the tourist stuff, museum, zoo (maybe) Statue of Liberty etc...

We know Boston very well and know where to stay, we are clueless when it comes to NY. We are looking for tips on anything. Starting with hotels, looking for good area and not looking for cheap but some where below the Ritz.

Are there any tourist things you recommend? Our kids are 8 & 6 Boy & Girl

We are not sure of when but may be like a Sunday - Tuesday - will that make site seeing easy or harder?

Where to not go? Scary areas not cool for kids or adults for that matter.

I promise not to wear my Sox gear to much as this may cause unwanted trouble

Again, looking for any helpful insight to folks that went or live there.

Thanks in advance.

Of course I will have the camera and may sneak over to B&H to check it out.

06-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember B&H is closed Fri sundown to Sat sundown and if you walk in there you may never leave so bring a cot. If gears turn you on, your heart may explode.
06-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

imtheguy you beat me to it! haha theres also adorama. I don't know any hotels as I have family in NY and thus have never stayed in hotels in NY. You could check out times square and rockefeller center. I know there is a Nintendo store near Rockefeller center that the kids might enjoy.
06-12-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Take one of the Circle Line cruises around Manhattan. Very exciting for kids, lets you see the city in a completely different way (vs. walking around) and picture opportunities are good. Go to the Hayden Planetarium - spectacular!

06-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Save your money, and take the Staten Island ferry at sunset, then come back as the city lights come on. Cheapest date available.

As for the kids, it depends on what they like, but I recommend the American Museum of Natural History, mine loved it. (If time is short, you may want to just check out the dino exhibits on the upper floors.) The Empire State Bldg is OK. Times Square is family-friendly now, so you can go there after dusk to check out the scene. Also, see if there are free concerts or happenings in Central Park or at the Lincoln Center.
06-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #6

All of the above &

Guggenheim Museum - celebrating a major birthday with Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit
NYC Transit Museum - See all the old trains & history of the transit system
06-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
VAV

Your kids will love the huge Toys R Us shop in Times Square and I am sure you will love B&H /Adorama - they are all open on Sundays.

Museums - American Metropolitan Museum, Museum of Modern Art

Hotels - sorry, no idea. I am a resident and have never used the hotels here. I would imagine hotels in Jersey City (just across from NY city) would be lower cost but easily accessible.

There are lots of tourist locations in NYC - most efficient way maybe to take one of the city tour buses. you will be able to pick up a lot of tourist brochures at the airport or at Grand Central Terminal that will give you lots to think about.

Hope you have a great trip!
Arvind
06-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll start by saying that New York City is MUCH safer now than it was in the 80s and 90s--it's still a huge city, and stuff happens, but I think if you keep your kids close by, you won't have much to worry about. I doubt you'll be heading into any bad neighborhoods, and since you have the kids, you probably won't be wandering around late at night, so don't worry!

You'll probably see more people wearing Red Sox caps than you might think--it's certainly not going to get you in too much trouble, especially if you plan to spend most of your time in Manhattan. Most people you'll meet probably won't even be from New York. You probably want to avoid wearing the Sox stuff if you take the Staten Island Ferry, though.

I also recommend taking the Staten Island Ferry--it's free , and you go right past the Statue of Liberty.

Take a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge!

The kids might like the South Street Seaport, and Times Square.

Take the subway. You'll get around like a "real" New Yorker, and you'll be amazed at how much diversity can be crammed in such a small place. There are lots of subway performers (mostly in the busier stops), too, which can make the trip fun.

And if the city is a little much for you, you can always take one of the commuter railroads to the suburbs. The Metro North Hudson Line takes you right up the river, which is a really nice ride. Kids ride for a greatly reduced fare.

I don't have any experience looking up the hotels, but maybe this'll help:
Recommended Cheap Hotels in New York City - Guide to Cheap New York City Hotels

You probably won't find an amazing deal on a hotel in NYC, but as expensive as New York is, you can always find fun and cheap (or sometimes free!) things to do.

Have fun!

-Jason

06-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$9.99 is a television program on NYC-TV featuring interesting ways to spend a day in New York City for under ten dollars per person.

Click on "more information" for links to places and activities featured in past shows: $9.99 on NYC-TV

Chris