Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I'm happy with Flickr. Admittedly I don't use my account for professional activity, but I did join it as I believed it gave good value for money for the configurability and privacy options.

I use my account for private storage and viewing and some public display.

I will not join facebook due to the aforementioned signing off of transfer rights. Plain nasty.

All of the methods of reducing piracy of your images listed above are valid;
- Post reduced file sizes with downsampled (NMT 96dpi) resolution, NMT 900pixels longest side.
- Do not allow other sites to be able to search for your images. Flickr also offers a detailed breakdown of sites which have grabbed your images. Following them can often lead to some surprising results.
- Manually watermark images. I agree that Flickr needs to provide a tool to do this/do this automatically.
- There are good options for privacy. MANY people do not use them. Common sense dictates that you don't publicly show any images of your kids or self that you would be comfortable with being examined or used.

Regarding prosecution of stolen images. Depending on the country, could small claims courts could be used for prosecution should the value of the sales using the affected photo be known?

07-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Most importantly, from a legal standpoint, Zenfolio (and most other dedicated professional or advanced amateur photo web hosts) has clear notices on every page that all content is copyrighted by the photographer. Flickr does not have anything even close and social networking sites down even know there is such a thing as copyright.
That is patently false. Every Flickr photopage have copyright information and status. It's not like it's hidden anywhere.
07-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
That is patently false. Every Flickr photopage have copyright information and status. It's not like it's hidden anywhere.
Every page? Not hardly. Go to the root of the photo site and randomly select any image. I had to search thru about 50 before I was one that had a copyright mark. I'll admit that there is a copyright link on every page but it is in, shall we say, small print. You have to tell Flikr to mark the image as copyrighted when you post it for the notice to display. My problem with Flickr is that EVERY image should be marked as copyrighted unless the user chooses to omit the mark, not the other way around.

I realize further, as well as anyone else on here that any image placed online can be pirated, however some sites make it much easier than others and some encourage theft thru their lax or obscure policies and protective measures. IMHO Flikr is one of these. My intent in this thread was simply to point this issue out. I've done that and whether or not you agree, there is a certain degree of risk. I simply believe that the risk is less on sites which declare up front and prominently that the images hosted are not free for the taking.

Of course it is totally up to each individual whether to use Flickr or Facebook or whatever. If you go the extra mile and lock your images down and limit their visibility, then good for you. If on the other hand, you accept all of the defaults then when a photo is stolen and used commercially without you being paid then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Mike
07-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Every page? Not hardly. Go to the root of the photo site and randomly select any image. I had to search thru about 50 before I was one that had a copyright mark. I'll admit that there is a copyright link on every page but it is in, shall we say, small print. You have to tell Flikr to mark the image as copyrighted when you post it for the notice to display. My problem with Flickr is that EVERY image should be marked as copyrighted unless the user chooses to omit the mark, not the other way around.
In your Flickr profile, you set your default copyright policy. The Flickr default is I believe Creative Commons, but you can easily set it to All Rights Reserved if you like. Most people I know have done so. You can also set it per file when uploading, or modify it after the fact.

Flickr then displays, on the actual photo page, and on gallery pages like sets, the copyright status of each file. For legal purposes this is more than enough.

Look at it this way, if a person isn't prepared to look for a copyright notice, they probably don't give a damn what it says anyway. Branding a giant 2 inch "all rights reserved" on everything isn't exactly going to stop people from disrespecting your copyright. There are some things Flickr could definitely do with, like built in watermarking, or the ability to have it automatically add the EXIF copyright fields to differently sized files.

Flickr isn't really as bad as some people make it sound - the simple fact of the matter is that if you don't want someone to be able to misappropriate your photos, you have to make sure they can never see them.... in other words don't put them on a photo gallery site.

07-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I don't know where you are looking, but every picture has this information:

All Rights Reserved is the default option, and shows up on every picture page, unless Creative Commons is selected.
07-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #36
Veteran Member

the default license is copyright. any cc license will replace the © symbol with the appropriate new one and allow access to the full size. for sharing, cc makes sense. if you're putting up work samples it's not the best license to work with.
07-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I refuse to watermark images since that destroys the enjoyment for those who wish to, quite legitimately, view it. If I do not want an image viewed I do not upload it for general consumption. Like others I upload images up to 800 pixels (in most cases) since they can be appreciated but are useless for printing. If someone steals an image I would resort to legal channels; that is what they are there for.

But I wouldn't all of a sudden start blaming Flickr when all the decisions for sharing my work have been made by one person... myself.

In fact, with over 1600 images uploaded, you might imagine I quite like Flickr. The interface can be confusing and there are some annoying limitations, but it's quite a powerful tool. And I get to see so much amazing work by everyday people like me.
07-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #38
Pentaxian

My problem with Flickr is that EVERY image should be marked as copyrighted unless the user chooses to omit the mark, not the other way around.Mike
I agree absolutely with these comments and the topic of the thread. Yes, Flickr should do more to promote safety and provide tools to do so. I've even written in asked them to do so (being a fairly happy paying customer). That way, it is a conscious decision to share and change settings (and has the side benefit of learning the system and all of the gadgets).

Robin; I do agree with your comments above wrt self resposibility btw, but in light of FLICKR being a bit clunky, and the user base (including me at the start!) not being all that clear to operate, thought i'd add my 0.02c.

Last edited by Clarkey; 07-07-2009 at 06:20 PM.