Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Ah, but that's what online backup is for.
Okay, you trust your online backup. I'll keep my Kodachromes in my closet.
Let's compare notes in twenty years...

Chris

06-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
How do you retrieve files from your old 5-1/4" floppies nowadays (if they're still readable)?

Chris
Digital photographs stored on 5 1/4 floppies aren't very likely to be worth retrieving. Likewise, this isn't an argument anyone can win. Jacob (the subject of my original post) wanted a digital camera for his trip. I actually explained the virtues of a manual film camera but he was uncomfortable with taking the chance that his inexperience shooting film might lead to him not capturing the shots he wanted (and not finding out until much too late). Maybe once he becomes more experienced he will consider film for his next adventure.
06-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Robert, how does he like the k200d on the trail so far? I assume he's walking around with the 18-55 kit lens?

I know weight can be a major issue when long distance hiking (I've done sections of the Lakeville-Placid trail in the Adirondacks and parts of the Long trail in Vermont).

Pat
06-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Robert, how does he like the k200d on the trail so far? I assume he's walking around with the 18-55 kit lens?

I know weight can be a major issue when long distance hiking (I've done sections of the Lakeville-Placid trail in the Adirondacks and parts of the Long trail in Vermont).

Pat
I haven't heard anything other than "thanks for the advice" so I have to assume it's OK. We talked about it and he was OK with the weight of a DSLR in trade for better pictures. He said he'd just pack less non-essentials like underwear to make up for the difference

06-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Pretty awesome pics! Thanks for sharing! Does he have a blog too or is he keeping a journal of his trip?
06-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
Pretty awesome pics! Thanks for sharing! Does he have a blog too or is he keeping a journal of his trip?
He's keeping a journal but I don't think he has a blog.
06-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
I haven't heard anything other than "thanks for the advice" so I have to assume it's OK. We talked about it and he was OK with the weight of a DSLR in trade for better pictures. He said he'd just pack less non-essentials like underwear to make up for the difference
I don't know what kind of underwear he's packing, but as someone who usually brings lightweight nylon boxers out trekking, the weight of a digital SLR is equivalent to about 3 weeks worth of fresh underwear.

Nonetheless, sounds like he's a young guy, unless he's trying to push 30 mile days, I'm sure he can handle it.

06-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a shot of his gear:

I don't see any underwear here
06-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know, there are things INSIDE those compression sacks. :-P