Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #31
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
graphicgr8s, I have to say this: I read the stuff you post sometimes, and I get this strong suspicion you are a Colbert-like parody genius pulling our collective legs, pretending to be this insanely reality-detached conservative knucklehead.

Seriously, am I right? That Bermuda thing - that's comedy gold man.
What's so funny about that? There are 4 detainees in Bermuda on the US taxpayer dole. I want to be there with all you folks paying for it.

06-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #32
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Danged ol' hydrogen leak issues. Better luck in July.
Eight missions planned before STS fleet retirement in late 2010 and I am getting anxious to plan to see one light up.
Got up at 5:30 turned on NASA tv and they had some garbage on. Went back to sleep. Figured they hadn't really fixed the leak. Oh Well.
06-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
No arguing on your fallout facts.
But I was only stating history pertaining to " enemy " attacks.
Not that the government couldn't be called an enemy.
There were actual Japanese troops on American soil as well. It took 15 months to eject them. During the land battle of Attu, Americans suffered 3829 casualties, roughly 25% of the invading force, second only in proportion to Iwo Jima. Of these, 549 were killed; 1148 injured; 1200 with severe cold injuries; 614 with disease; and a remaining 318 to miscellaneous causes. American burial parties count 2351 Japanes men and hundreds more were presumed already buried. Total prisoners taken: 28 (none of whom were officers). The Japanese fought to virtually the last man with ~4700 killed in action. When defeat was certain, the Japanese started killing there own wounded with morphine over doses and threw grenades into their own medical tents to make sure the job was complete.

This is why the Pacific Command wasn't sure if Midway was the target of the Task Force that ultimately resulted in naval Battle of Midway or if the target was the Aleutians. Adm. Ray Spruance hedged his bets and positioned himself to where he could defend Midway or cut of the force if it headed to the Aleutions.
06-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
What's so funny about that? There are 4 detainees in Bermuda on the US taxpayer dole. I want to be there with all you folks paying for it.
The funny part is what they suffered through before being declared innocent and released to Bermuda, I guess.

06-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by _who_ Quote
The left -vs- the right & the right -vs- the left.
Not to mention, no one's right and we're all left out...
06-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The funny part is what they suffered through before being declared innocent and released to Bermuda, I guess.
They also told a reporter that they wold rather be in Gitmo than China. The Irony is that there were 3 guys water boarded at Gitmo and these guys were not them. Apparently the Chinese authorities were harder on them during interrogation as well but that conveniently gets left out. Burmuda was the only place that would take them with exception of China.
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They also told a reporter that they wold rather be in Gitmo than China.
I wouldn't like to be in either one, personally.

And I suspect the reason they don't want to be in China has to do with the fact that they were getting arms training ostensibly to protect their families/communities from the Chinese oppressors. China won't be too happy about that.

QuoteQuote:
The Irony is that there were 3 guys water boarded at Gitmo and these guys were not them.
So you think being held at Gitmo and having years of your life taken from you is a walk in the park as long as you're not waterboarded?

QuoteQuote:
Apparently the Chinese authorities were harder on them during interrogation as well but that conveniently gets left out.
Holding one's country up as "better than China" on human rights is like saying you're better than Egypt at ice hockey.

QuoteQuote:
Burmuda was the only place that would take them with exception of China.
...and Spain, and Italy, and Palau, and whoever else steps up next because we in the US are too paranoid and xenophobic to take responsibility for it ourselves.

06-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #38
Site Supporter

. . .

So you think being held at Gitmo and having years of your life taken from you is a walk in the park as long as you're not waterboarded?
The point there was that all the b.s. about water boarding over looked that it was the 3 top guys. If you really think that there are other countries out there that wouldn't have done the same thing given the circumstances you are naive.

Holding one's country up as "better than China" on human rights is like saying you're better than Egypt at ice hockey.
Exactly. However, the Chinese wanted all 17 of the Uyghurs and we never sent them there.

...and Spain, and Italy, and Palau, and whoever else steps up next because we in the US are too paranoid and xenophobic to take responsibility for it ourselves.
I'm all for moving them in next door to you or slomo as long as they stay there.

It came down to Palau and the people were outraged so they ended up in Bermuda. IF these arse holes didn't want to end up in Gitmo, they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. China considered them a part of a terrorist group which complicated matters.
06-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #39
Inactive Account

The point there was that all the b.s. about water boarding over looked that it was the 3 top guys. If you really think that there are other countries out there that wouldn't have done the same thing given the circumstances you are naive.
Spain and the UK were attacked by terrorists too... how come we are not hearing from them about torture?
06-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #40
Inactive Account

well, not really that funny

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
There's not a dime's worth of difference between liberal politicians and conservative politicians.

If you REALLY want change in our government, vote libertarian.
a REALLY cool thing would be more than 2 viable (ok maybe not) choices
06-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
Spain and the UK were attacked by terrorists too... how come we are not hearing from them about torture?
Do they have the top 3 guys in custody? Also, do they have the media up their ass?

Edit: I'm not saying that I think simulated drowning on the top 3 Alqueerda guys is good policy. I'm just pointing out the given the risk of attacks like the bank building in LA and Sears tower in Chicago by the guys that hit our Trade Center, I'm betting that most governments would press those same 3 men as hard as the U.S. did or even harder (Winston Churchill and Franco come to mind).
06-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #42
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by _who_ Quote
The left -vs- the right & the right -vs- the left.
And the Right are right but none of us will have anything left.
06-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #43
graphicgr8s

Do they have the top 3 guys in custody? Also, do they have the media up their ass?

Edit: I'm not saying that I think simulated drowning on the top 3 Alqueerda guys is good policy. I'm just pointing out the given the risk of attacks like the bank building in LA and Sears tower in Chicago by the guys that hit our Trade Center, I'm betting that most governments would press those same 3 men as hard as the U.S. did or even harder (Winston Churchill and Franco come to mind).
Actually they would press harder. They don't have a bunch of pansyass liberal do-gooders hounding them. Nor or they particularly worried about media and legal fallout.

But how do you go on national tv and say "we guessed wrong"? That's just typical Biden stupidity. He makes Dan Quayle look like a genius. Actually he makes a monkey look like a genius. (No insult intended for the monkey)
Again. They're just guessing? What about looking at data? Facts? Actual numbers not pie in the sky? Oh wait, they don't like the CBO numbers that SloMo keeps going to. SO SloMo guess your numbers are bogus too.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 06-17-2009 at 02:02 PM.
06-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Oh no! Not doing good!

I think you'll find there are humanitarians in pretty much every country, though their ability to voice their opinion may differ based on what regime is in charge.
06-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #45
graphicgr8s

The Ugly Truth About Canadian Health Care by David Gratzer, City Journal Summer 2007

Just one of many articles on the Canadian system. And didn't Britain stop paying for a drug that women use to fight breast cancer? So how does that benefit anyone? Better yet, how will all this be paid for? They've already spent our great grandchildrens money. How far do we allow them to go? Odds are they are guessing wrong again. Who's going to pay for their bigger than W screwup? (That's a rhetorical question. And for those who donn't know what rhetorical means:
rhetorical

rhe·tor·i·cal Listen to the pronunciation of rhetorical
Pronunciation:
\ri-ˈtȯr-i-kəl, -ˈtär-\
Variant(s):
also rhe·tor·ic Listen to the pronunciation of rhetoric \ri-ˈtȯr-ik, -ˈtär-\
Function:
adjective
Date:
15th century

1 a: of, relating to, or concerned with rhetoric b: employed for rhetorical effect ; especially : asked merely for effect with no answer expected <a rhetorical question>2 a: given to rhetoric : grandiloquent b: verbal
— rhe·tor·i·cal·ly Listen to the pronunciation of rhetorically \-i-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
Closed Thread