Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #16
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Oh, I wasn't meaning to pick on you, specifically. It's just one of those words that I commonly see, as you put it, excellent spellers frequently messing up on. I'd love to do (or at least read) a study as to why certain words get misspelled more than others.
There was a piece in Pravda West (St. Pete Times) about it being the most misspelled word. Can't remember what #2 was.

Gas here is $2.63/gal regular

06-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Oh, I wasn't meaning to pick on you, specifically. It's just one of those words that I commonly see, as you put it, excellent spellers frequently messing up on. I'd love to do (or at least read) a study as to why certain words get misspelled more than others.
I think with that particular word, it has become so common these days to see it spelled with an "a" that it's starting to look like the correct spelling. It's one of those words you look at and say to yourself "Is that right? That's not right, is it? D@mn, I better go to dictionary.com and make sure."
06-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
$2.65 in Santa Fe, NM.

(Why can no one spell "definitely" anymore?)

Why be so specific?

Shouldn't the question be "Why can no one spell anymore?"
06-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
$3.17 a gallon when I stopped yesterday in North San Diego County

06-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #20
graphicgr8s

When the heck is Kaliforneea going to finish falling off the earth? I want to sell my waterfront Nevada property already
06-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
When the heck is Kaliforneea going to finish falling off the earth? I want to sell my waterfront Nevada property already
Probably pretty soon with the added weight of all the illegals...
06-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Why be so specific?

Shouldn't the question be "Why can no one spell anymore?"

Because good spelling comes from recognition & most of the reading people do nowadays is off forums just like this where there are plenty of mistakes instead of books that have been proofread.

06-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #23
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rustyoldbug Quote
Probably pretty soon with the added weight of all the illegals...
Then Florida should have fallen off years ago.
06-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I filled up last night on my way home from work for $2.75 a gallon in Saratoga, NY. That was the cheap station.
06-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Then Florida should have fallen off years ago.
You guys are just on a big sandbar - a few more giant hurricanes and Florida will just wash away...
06-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I'm an excellent speller, a pretty decent typist, and not bad at all with grammar and punctuation.

But I sure screwed up that one, didn't I?

Didn't notice it when I typed it, then reading through the posts I saw it, thought to myself "That's not right, I better fix that." Now I guess there's no need to fix it--let it live in infamy, a testament to the imperfect nature of, well, me.
I was once mocked on another forum for spelling "definitely" correctly - the heckler informed me the word was "definately".

Gas is up to $2.47 here.
06-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are those in Gov and their wingnut groupies that want it at $8/gallon. There have been those that have floated the idea of a "floating" gas tax to get it to $4/gallon with an adustable tax. For example if you are currently paying $2.60/gallon, the floating tax would be $1.40/gallon. Therefore, I don't think the current prices are a concern.
06-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #28

Around the $2.70/gal range here in central Oregon (+-0.15 shopping around)
06-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #29
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I was once mocked on another forum for spelling "definitely" correctly - the heckler informed me the word was "definately".

Gas is up to $2.47 here.
What about "its" and "it's" More often than not it's definitely spelled wrong.

One thing about gas prices you forget about. All areas have different taxes levied upon the gallon so that is also a big factor.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 06-22-2009 at 05:25 PM.
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #30
Damn Brit

What would be so wrong about a fixed price? That would make more incentive for the government to stop the oil companies gouging the consumer. $4 might be a little high but then again, it's approaching that in California already (premium anyway).
Another benefit of a fixed price would be the ability to factor in the cost when budgeting.
Yet another benefit would be to put pressure on the car manufacturers to make their cars do more MPG.