Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to put lots of tag on lots of pictures in flickr?

I've always been confused by people that put tons of tags on their flickr pictures.... How do they do it? I often post pictures that are not related to each other at one upload session, so batch tagging doesnt work for me.

I know I can pre-tag my jpegs so that it's tagged in flickr, but I don't need that many tags to find my images (nor do I have time to make those kind of tags). I just wan tto improve my searchability in flickr.

Any suggestions appreciated

06-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can make a list of all the tags that you want for a given photo in a text editor. You can then copy all of the words at one time. When you past them into the add tag each word will be a new tag unless the words have quotes around (if you put quotes around more then one word you can have multiple word tags) them. . This way you can add as many tags as you like at one time. A few saved lists for your more conmen photos with a few added words when you need them may be all you need. In addition when you click on add tags you will also get a new button “choose from your tags” will give you a list of all the tags you have used before.

DAZ
06-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

It Takes Time

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
How do they do it? (nor do I have time to make those kind of tags).
That's how they do it. Tagging is a laborious, time consuming amount of work and the trickiest, hardest part of getting your pictures noticed. There are lots of different software packages available to help you tag photos. But, they all take alot of time to use.
06-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the Flickr Uploadr, you can tag pictures individually before uploading.

If you use Lightroom, when you export the files to jpeg, all the tags are added automatically unless you tell it not to export tags. Bridge works similarly.

06-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For generalities, you can use a batch editor or the Flickr Organizer. Or you can do it in Lightroom if you use that. For example, as soon as I import my photos into LR they already have "Japan, Pentax, K20D, screwmount, M42, Takumar, manual focus" as tags.

LR doesn't play so well with Japanese tags, so I use Flickr Organizer to enter the broad, general tags.

When it comes to things specific to particular individual images, though.....it takes time and the only way I know to shorten it is to improve your typing speed.

These days my Flickr account usually runs between 800 ~ 1300 views per day. The key is tagging and placing the photos in appropriate groups.
06-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use Notepad++ to keep a running txt file of my flickr uploads. At the top of the file I have a list of tags I use for the various lenses and other boiler plate. It helps me keep my tags in order as I use them.

Unless I'm away from my main computer or under a rush, I don't miss the opportunity to tag properly.

The rest of the tags I apply tend to be subjective like Family, Friends, and group tags.
06-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #7

I use a LR2 flickr upload plugin, that allows me to include the tags I've already added and/or add extra tags for that upload... but, yeah, tagging is hard work. But it's all worth it the day you need to find that photo with Alice, Bob and Charlie...
06-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
For generalities, you can use a batch editor or the Flickr Organizer. Or you can do it in Lightroom if you use that. For example, as soon as I import my photos into LR they already have "Japan, Pentax, K20D, screwmount, M42, Takumar, manual focus" as tags.

LR doesn't play so well with Japanese tags, so I use Flickr Organizer to enter the broad, general tags.

When it comes to things specific to particular individual images, though.....it takes time and the only way I know to shorten it is to improve your typing speed.

These days my Flickr account usually runs between 800 ~ 1300 views per day. The key is tagging and placing the photos in appropriate groups.
I see you're an explore whore.

06-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I see you're an explore whore.
I see you're uninformed.

From what I hear tagging and grouping actually decrease the chances of a photo getting picked up for Explore.

I'll admit to being a hit whore, but I couldn't much less give a damn about Explore. Until last month I was chugging along at about 300~500 hits per day, but starting at the beginning of June I've had about 18 of 24 days at over 1,000 hits per day, with a high of 2,652. How? Primarily tags. Grouping helps some, and so does placing things in sets organized in some way that is both obvious and useful to visitors.
06-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll try out some of the suggestions here. I don't think I'll be putting in 20 tags per picture anytime soon though....
06-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I don't think I'll be putting in 20 tags per picture anytime soon though....
No one ever does. It's a progression.