Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Paypal fraud

I am currently involved in an ugly situation with my Paypal account. Fraudulent withdrawls have been made on my account: money is being taken directly from my checking account by an internet phone company (sister company to Ebay).

What is troubling is I never gave anyone authorization to draw from my checking account. The only reason Paypal has the account on record is so I can transfer any Paypal balances to my checking---otherwise the money is stuck in Paypal, inducing LBA for sure!

But more seriously, this is a horrible situation. It is under investigation, but it is scary how little Paypal seems able to help me. I do not think I will do business with them or Ebay again. I had no idea how vulnerable I was to internet fraud.

Heads up! Paypal says my password was stolen--change your passwords at the very least.

06-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Changing my password as I type this.

What other alternatives are there to paying by PayPal? Moneybookers? Google Checkout?

Unfortunately, other alternatives aren't nearly as popular.
06-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Or "safe" ...
06-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Try setting up a security key for your PayPal and eBay accounts. Effectively your password changes every 30 sec.

06-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

First, this is just my take on dealing with Paypal.

I never let them have a checking account number. I setup a savings account that is not in any way connected to my other business. If I draw money from Paypal it goes to savings and then is immediately removed.
My bank has it setup that if anyone tries to overdraw the savings account, it is a failed transaction. No using of checking to bolster savings.
I also never leave a CC on my Paypal account. If I use it, I add it and then remove it as soon as the deal is finished.

I've been taught the hard way to look out for myself. Paypal won't do it.
06-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with paypal, Ernest, and hope you'll be able to get out of it quickly. I checked the strength of my passwords here and here -- it turns out they are quite weak. I need to invent a new system of passwords...
06-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
Banned

I've only ever had one problem involving PayPal. Someone used one of my credit cards numbers to pay for an item through paypal. As soon as I saw the PayPal Transaction on my card, I called PayPal and it was taken care of immediately.

Unfortunately for me, it meant my CC was compromised so I had to get my CC co. to issue me a new account number.

06-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Phishing e-mail

I have had phishing e-mail sent constantly to my email account 'coz of the sites I visit.
Somehow, they get to put a trojan in your system to check the sites you visit.
They knew that I had a paypal account and kept sending phishing emails.
Look out for these, I foiled and reported them to paypal most of the time but there was this one that almost got me.
Phishing e-mails act as if they were sent by paypal, but look closely at the email address, it did not actually come from paypal themselves as it is either PayPaI (so that the "I" would look like a lower case "L") and once you read the e-mail, it would ask you to confirm your account.
***Don't ever-ever type in your password. Type in a false password first then see if it loads. If it loads, then it is a phishing e-mail.
Another one is it only takes your right account name and password and nothing else but they are more after your CC or other forms of payment and would ask you to fill out those.
***Don't ever-ever fill out these also, 'coz if it is really from paypal, then it should list all your info including your forms of payment.
In any case, always go to the site direct and never open any linked urls that are posted in your e-mail.
When in doubt or whenever you receive e-mails like these, change your password immediately as it is already an alarm telling you that someone is trying to access your account.
06-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

The phishing emails are the worse, Ive know a lot of ppl who have fallen for them.
Every single suspicious looking email Ive gotten and sent to spoof@paypal.com has been fraudulent.
But, I must have Paypal for now for my online store. People from all over the world buy from me and so far its the most convenient way.
06-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I know what you mean. That is why it is best to be vigilant and be less careless if you can't totally be not careless.
Always keep your wits about you as these internet robbers won't just let up.
By the way, thanks tybeck as I just ordered the security key.
For only $5 bucks, that is somewhat handy to have.
06-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about this.
I have been sceptical and hypervigilant with the use of PayPal and having my CC and savings bank details stored on the account is a cause of concern for me too. The CC more so than my bank account. There is no way one can siphon funds from my bank account without my authorisation, but using my CC is just a couple of mouse clicks away from a big purchase.

So your experience has prompted me to rethink whether I need the account, and if so, perhaps just leave the bank account on file...

I have had a security breach once, and that was with a fraudulent bidder hacking into my eBay account and making bids on random items on my behalf. Password was changed immediately after that...
06-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
Try setting up a security key for your PayPal and eBay accounts. Effectively your password changes every 30 sec.
Just a general note: one should never ever go to Paypal using a premade link, especially one in an email. There are ways to actually make the link go to a fraudulent site while at first look it seems like the real legit one. Always goto there either by typing the site or using your own bookmark.

And I'm absolutely not suggesting there would be _anything_ odd about the link provided by tybeck, just the idea of providing direct links to Paypal made me comment.
06-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
And I'm absolutely not suggesting there would be _anything_ odd about the link provided by tybeck...
LOL!
06-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If there was, I'd be done for!
I just thanked him for providing me that input..
(joke)
06-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sorry to hear of your troubles. One way to limit your exposure is to have a bank account and credit card that you use only for PayPal. I have a credit card with a limit of Cdn $1,000 and it is linked only to a checking account with virtually no funds in it.

I run a secure password system.

I never enter data that could be used to access financial information to a web site that is not secured by Verisign. The little lock in the corner is a touch stone for me. I close my browser frequently after surfing, and limit the history to known sites.

I never reply to an email from PayPal or eBay (or any other company). As mentioned by Niki, I simply forward them directly to eBay or PayPal as appropriate. I have never had them say "Oh, that was us!" The word "phishing" is prominently displayed in their respose each and every time.