Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Torch is Passed

I've known for a while now that this day would come. However I didn't know when, where, or to whom.
Well today (actually yesterday, I just got in) was the day. I took on a student.
And not just any student, a 9 year old girl, who has a better eye than most professional photographers living in this area.

Here's a couple samples of what she shot tonight. Sorry they're all shot on my Sigma but more on that later.

My original plan was to loan her my K100D for a while, however I changed my mind.
Since I rarely use it, and her and her family have nothing I decided to pass the torch, as in most of my Pentax system to her.
This is of course, with the understanding that I can use it whenever I need it.

She's already done the best portrait of me that I've ever seen, along with a beautiful one of her mom.
Since I didn't have any portable media with me I couldn't bring them home to share, however that'll change when I see her on Saturday.

As a result I no longer own, or shoot with a Pentax body. Although I still own some manual focus, and screw mount lenses which I use on my Sigma.
Considering the circumstances I hope that I'm still allowed to post the odd photo here and there.

06-24-2009, 01:55 AM   #2
Damn Brit

No, sorry Stu, we don't want any of your odd photos here.

Of course we will accept slightly odd, extremely odd and common or garden photos.

You're a good man Stu.
06-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Good for you! Wow you are terrific doing this for a youngster. I must say I am disappointed int the lack of replies to your post. C'mon folks, a big pat on the back needs to be voiced here.

Hooray for you! Post whatever you want.
06-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congratulations - that is a good feeling indeed. (I'm shooting nearly 100% film in preparation: my daughter is about to inherit my K100D).

And that is one CUTE pomeranian puppy, she done good with the camera.

06-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey I missed that post!

Good job there Stu! Looks like she has wonderfull potential, I look forward to seeing more of her work (well, now that she's a Pentaxian you'll sign her up here right!?!)

Pat
06-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #6

Awesome kids, natural photographers...

Stu,

It may be redudant saying this, but what you've done for this little girl is just awesome. I'm sure that for the rest of her life, when she'll hear a shutter click, she'll remember you!

I've started to loan my digital cams to my kids as soon as they had enough motricity to stand still for a second or so (that's about 4-5 years old).
Since then, they produced amazing shots, much better (in my opinion) that what I could acheive with my fairly technical approach to photography. My older one (he's just turned 10) is producing still-images movies with my old Oly p&s and lego bricks.

Natural, they say...

- Vincent
06-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account

that is so generous of you, Stu. Good on ya.
May her first camera always be her most treasured memory of the kind person who gave her her first..."shot"

06-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
No, sorry Stu, we don't want any of your odd photos here.

Of course we will accept slightly odd, extremely odd and common or garden photos.
So my murder scene photo wasn't allowed

QuoteOriginally posted by Bokehboy Quote
Good for you! Wow you are terrific doing this for a youngster. I must say I am disappointed int the lack of replies to your post. C'mon folks, a big pat on the back needs to be voiced here.

Hooray for you! Post whatever you want.
It's no problem Bokehboy,
I saw her today, and she's still having the time of her life.
I can't exactly share any of her photos taken with it yet. My laptop, which I loaned her mom is out of commission due to until I do a re-install

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Congratulations - that is a good feeling indeed. (I'm shooting nearly 100% film in preparation: my daughter is about to inherit my K100D).

And that is one CUTE pomeranian puppy, she done good with the camera.
Good for her Nesster, your daughter will have fun.
I'm thinking of buying a Spotmatic, or something. Until I can either afford another system, or the wider angle lenses I need on digital.

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Hey I missed that post!

Good job there Stu! Looks like she has wonderfull potential, I look forward to seeing more of her work (well, now that she's a Pentaxian you'll sign her up here right!?!)

Pat
I'll see if I can sign her up here soon Pat, I know that you'd love her work.
I forget if there's an age restriction here, but even if there is there's ways around it
06-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cgw_vince Quote
Stu,

It may be redudant saying this, but what you've done for this little girl is just awesome. I'm sure that for the rest of her life, when she'll hear a shutter click, she'll remember you!

I've started to loan my digital cams to my kids as soon as they had enough motricity to stand still for a second or so (that's about 4-5 years old).
Since then, they produced amazing shots, much better (in my opinion) that what I could acheive with my fairly technical approach to photography. My older one (he's just turned 10) is producing still-images movies with my old Oly p&s and lego bricks.

Natural, they say...

- Vincent
All that I feel I've really done with this girl is given her a head start into the world of photography.
I strongly feel that with a little help she has the potential to become one of the best artists (using this media)
And even if she never does anything other than have fun with the camera it's worth it just to see her smile

And good for you loaning out your digital cameras. I've seen first hand what sort of fum children can have with them

QuoteOriginally posted by Niki Quote
that is so generous of you, Stu. Good on ya.
May her first camera always be her most treasured memory of the kind person who gave her her first..."shot"
Trust me Niki, it was worth it just for the smile.
06-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Good work, Stu! You certainly proved to a lot of folks around here that the K100D could sing when treated properly and I'm glad to see you passing along the tradition. I hope that we'll still see you atone here every now and again, Sigma shots and all.
06-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I respect your atitude. Unfortunatelly I can't view the pictures (maybe the problem is my connection).
I remember I first layed my hand on a Zenit E when I was 10 or so, and I still feel vivid in my memory the smell of the leather casing and the emotion of seeing the first roll on paper.

Many of us should learn from you.
06-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
Good work, Stu! You certainly proved to a lot of folks around here that the K100D could sing when treated properly and I'm glad to see you passing along the tradition. I hope that we'll still see you atone here every now and again, Sigma shots and all.
Thank you Code5

The K100D is an excellent camera in the right hands. I know that Vanessa will do it proud as well.
I've seen several people bad mouth Pentax, until they've seen what I've done with them. That usually shuts them up quickly

Since I'm still using Pentax lenses for most of my work I figure that it isn't much different than someone using a Sigma lens on a Pentax body.
I don't know of too many people that will argue with that logic

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
I respect your atitude. Unfortunatelly I can't view the pictures (maybe the problem is my connection).
No worries octavmandru,
I'll post a link just for you at the bottom of my reply
QuoteQuote:
I remember I first layed my hand on a Zenit E when I was 10 or so, and I still feel vivid in my memory the smell of the leather casing and the emotion of seeing the first roll on paper.

Many of us should learn from you.
I believe it. I still remember the day I got the K100, stopping about 30 times on my way home and capturing several excellent photographs.
I even got some of my best photographs using the Kit lens.

I know that several people here don't know whom I am, which is fine. I've been away from the boards for a while due to several circumstances taking their toll in my life.
I don't like to toot my own horn, however if you look at some of my old posts you'll see some breathtaking scenic's, along with flower shots, just artistic work, and even a couple of questionable shots the moderators chose to overlook
(although one of the present moderators (the second poster in this thread) gave me a run for the money in the questionable department )
I'm proud to say that most of those photographs were taken using a K100D.

Now for the links for octavmandru

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3
06-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Touching story. That's very generous of you. I wish more folks were like that....