Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Funny link! You ***nix users crack me up.
I've been using Unix and Linux longer than I have Pentax. There are a lot of similarities. Both are underdogs, offer great value, and excellent backwards compatibility.

A month or so ago, I ended up at an event where someone I've known a long time (mother of a girl I knew in high school) was there with her Canon. "Oh, that's only a Pentax", she sneered at my K20D.

I raised my eyebrows, admonished her gently, and then spent a bunch of time trying to show her how flash fill worked. Never did manage to figure out what buttons to push to make it happen reliably on her Canon (with external flash), whereas with my Pentax, it was simple. Helps to have read the manual, I guess.

06-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Just met up with a Nikon D700 user earlier today. My mother introduced and met and he took a look at my flickr photos, and was "amazed" at my photos, suggesting I enter some contests in the local Houston area. But then that dreaded question appeared "what camera you shoot with". I answered with Pentax and immediately tells me to switch to Nikon or Canon and that Pentax is nothing but a " shitty camera company that is going to die soon anyways." I looked at his photos and found nothing amazing, as his only lenses were a 24-105 VR and a 85mm f/1.8. I suggested taking the hood off and setting the Exposure compensation to +.3 next to the huge windows of a bank, but all he replied was "sure, sure" and didn't do anything, but kept bringing up the topic of "why do you shoot Pentax? Nothing they have is worth the money."

Is it just here? Is this REALLY what people feel about Pentax? I must admit the D700 was QUITE a world away from my GX-10, but still....

There are some snobs shooting both Nikon and Canon. I find the worst offenders are D700 and 5D shooters - mostly guys who just moved up from DX and really need to justify the cost.

Nikon D3 or Canon 1DS shooters kinda seem above the fray, like they fly in rarified air and don't need to fight about it any more

That being said, *most Nikon shooters I know or correspond with in forums actually like and respect Pentax as a brand. Some of it's because they shot Pentax back in their film days, and some actually know and covet the Pentax limiteds.

06-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dschlamp Quote
"Oh, that's only a Pentax", she sneered at my K20D.

She actually SAID those words?? She SNEERED? Sounds like you were watching Desperate Housewives. Why is it I never get to meet people that rude? Guess I need to wear my camera around my neck everywhere I go eh?

Last edited by imtheguy; 06-25-2009 at 11:26 PM.
06-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
I LIKE being different. The snobbery against Pentax is a *plus* for me with this brand.

+1!

Being different defines who I am, from my orange Mustang to my K20d. I get plenty of negative comments on both. Its the few positive ones that makes it all worthwhile.

06-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Its a personality trait called being "contrary". I'm right there with you.

+1
06-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Tho, I have also gotten the comment after I did some shooting for local bands
"Thats a realy small professional camera you got"
"!!!"
"Why dont everyone have smaller professional cameras, must be a pain to cary around those big ones"
"!!!!!!"
06-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #52
Veteran Member

too bad I don't have the K-7 weeks ago. it would had been awesome shooting side by side with the Canon and Nikon shooters. yeah, there wasn't a Pentax shooter on that occasion. not even a soul. my primary targets were during that time were the D700 shooters. I was saying to myself, "I'm gonna get you guys with my K7". one particular fella was kind enough to give a good remarks about me getting the K-7. he must have been reading a lot lately here or some place else, lol. others were total snobs. like, oh ok, what was it again? K-7 by Pentax? you could just see their lack of significant reaction like the K-7 is nothing. oh well, I'm gonna get those bastards also. just wait after a week.

shooters during the event were >>> D700, D90, 40D, Rebel Xsi, Rebel Xs and D60. oh and one Olympus E520. atleast Oly got one representative. lol.

06-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by acrbill Quote
+1!

Being different defines who I am, from my orange Mustang to my K20d. I get plenty of negative comments on both. Its the few positive ones that makes it all worthwhile.
That's weird, many years ago I had an orange Mustang, a 1966 to be exact.

Oh yeah, lets make that a big +2.
06-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dschlamp Quote

A month or so ago, I ended up at an event where someone I've known a long time (mother of a girl I knew in high school) was there with her Canon. "Oh, that's only a Pentax", she sneered at my K20D.
LOL I wouldn't blame her. That's why Pentax should continue K10D K20D line success with K-7 and up maybe with K-5, K-3, K-1 line to regain it's old reputation. Otherwise market will keep current CaNik duopoly in the near future.

Until now, I haven't seen a single photo from K-7 better than K20D on the internet. Everyone blames early firmware versions about that. We'll see.

Best wishes.
Can.
06-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I am not ashamed at all of pentax. I know few people who are keen on nikon and they alway are telling me that pentax is cheap and not very good brand. Still I don't care
06-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Pentax might be able to afford the Rose Bowl.
You mean this?, way outta Pentax's league!

Though I don't do it on purpose I do enjoy being the odd one out when it comes to this sort of thing, somtimes is based on a usability preference (like not buying Sony becuase of the stupid Memory Sticks), and sometimes because i don't want to pay extra for the name (like ipod), and sometimes it's just pig-headedness!
06-26-2009, 03:10 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Just met up with a Nikon D700 user earlier today. My mother introduced and met and he took a look at my flickr photos, and was "amazed" at my photos, suggesting I enter some contests in the local Houston area. But then that dreaded question appeared "what camera you shoot with". I answered with Pentax and immediately tells me to switch to Nikon or Canon and that Pentax is nothing but a " shitty camera company that is going to die soon anyways." I looked at his photos and found nothing amazing, as his only lenses were a 24-105 VR and a 85mm f/1.8. I suggested taking the hood off and setting the Exposure compensation to +.3 next to the huge windows of a bank, but all he replied was "sure, sure" and didn't do anything, but kept bringing up the topic of "why do you shoot Pentax? Nothing they have is worth the money."

Is it just here? Is this REALLY what people feel about Pentax? I must admit the D700 was QUITE a world away from my GX-10, but still....
I have met several photographers with "Blads" around their necks that most of you here could shoot circles around. But being that they own a "Blad" they figure that they "HAVE" to be respected.

What a crock of SH-T!!!
06-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #58
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I have met several photographers with "Blads" around their necks that most of you here could shoot circles around. But being that they own a "Blad" they figure that they "HAVE" to be respected.

What a crock of SH-T!!!
Exactly Ben. Every time I have to compete against a Canikon shooter for an event or wedding, I tell the customer to be careful (in a diplomatic way) about the other shooters cameras. Comments about anti shake in the lens vs the body and the weather seals. One of my main competitors won't take his pair of 5D's anywhere in the rain, damp days or near a beach anytime. (Have you ever seen PEI? It's all beaches everywhere). He shoots with an XTi in those conditions. So it's a simple question. Do you pay full price to him and only get consumer quality on a bad day or get me and I'll do anything you want with my WS gear? I win every time and he's a great shooter.

At a local exhibition this spring, I entered 8 photos. I was the only Pentax shooter and took 1 first, 1 second and 2 3rd's out of the 8 categories. There were 336 photos (42 shooters with 8 each) judged by 3 pro shooters (one does work for Nat Geo). So that means I took 17% of the top spots and was the only Pentax.
06-26-2009, 04:13 AM   #59
Veteran Member

This is kinda a 2 way street, while alot of Canikon users look down on Pentax,I often do the same thing to them. I see people with Nikon D40 and Canon 450D, and my first instinct is to think, "oh, they're just went down to the store and got whatever the sales guy told em, they probably don't know much about photography." Where as anyone with a Pentax or Olympus, I think, they didn't buy into the big brands, therefore they must know abit about cameras/not be idiots.

Aren't alot of us in this thread implying that we are better informed and not brainwashable idiots because we shoot Pentax.
06-26-2009, 04:17 AM   #60

Would be funny if that Pentax making a full frame camera next report/rumor is true.

Where would the Nikon counterpart be to compare it to?