Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a dumbass

Surely I can't be the only one to do things like this.

Picked up the 50D this morning with the 400/5.6 and found that it wouldn't focus. I thought maybe I had somehow switched the back focus button off and tried the shutter half press. Nothing. I manually focused the lens to "ballpark range" and THEN it would autofocus just fine. Started getting concerned that maybe the lens is having issues, or the body might be bum or....

Then I realized that last night I had turned "Disable focus hunting" on.. oopsie. It works like a charm to keep the lens from going too far out of focus when shooting against a low contrast background (e.g. blue sky) so is really nice for birding, but it also means that when the lens is too out of focus it just won't attempt to move it at all.

Now I don't feel so smart.

06-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Surely I can't be the only one to do things like this.

Picked up the 50D this morning with the 400/5.6 and found that it wouldn't focus. I thought maybe I had somehow switched the back focus button off and tried the shutter half press. Nothing. I manually focused the lens to "ballpark range" and THEN it would autofocus just fine. Started getting concerned that maybe the lens is having issues, or the body might be bum or....

Then I realized that last night I had turned "Disable focus hunting" on.. oopsie. It works like a charm to keep the lens from going too far out of focus when shooting against a low contrast background (e.g. blue sky) so is really nice for birding, but it also means that when the lens is too out of focus it just won't attempt to move it at all.

Now I don't feel so smart.
I guess the first mistake really was picking up the 50D instead of a K20D.

Disclaimer: This is a joke. I am just kidding around. It is in no way shape or form meant as an insult.
06-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote

Disclaimer: This is a joke. I am just kidding around. It is in no way shape or form meant as an insult.

Yeah, right. Like we don't know you.
06-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Yeah, right. Like we don't know you.
I know you love me Yves.

06-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never left a lens cap on and wondered why the view finder was dark either.

Edit: Nor have I ever forgot to put a memory card back in before going out to shoot. Nor have I filled up a memory card and wondered why the perpetual picture machine quit working.
06-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I usually keep a small memory card in my camera strap's zippered pocket (I use the R-strap) and that's a lifesaver at times! My 1Ds2 luckily takes two cards and I make sure to never take both out at the same time... the 20D/50D I've done they "hey, why won't it fire?" thing with a few times.
06-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I know you love me Yves.
How come it"s so hard to hide one's feellings on this forum?

06-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I can do better than that! Was shooting a soccer game with my D300 and 300 f4.0 and kept getting some way over exposed and some way under---took this dummy half the game to realize I had some how put the camera on autobracket. If it can be done wrong, I have done it at one time or another. 25 years of self training I guess.
06-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

I use to have a handle mount vivitar flash that used a special pc cord. Checked out all my gear before shooting a wedding and left that stupid little cord on my desk. Stuck with my backup flash for the entire shoot

Same wedding (thank God it was a gift.) checked out the camera the night before to make sure all was well. Went through all the shutter speeds. Forgot to put it back to 1/60 for the flash shots which came up first. Didn't notice it till we were back in the reception hall after the outdoor shots. Yes, we all make stupid mistakes.

(Disclaimer: I am not calling mistakes names, they ARE stupid. Management is not responsible.)
06-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ah yes, the old out of sync syndrome--been there done that! Or the old film leader didn't catch. Learned real quick to put the leader end into the spool and then pull film canister over to the rewind knob! Fire a couple of shots and watch the little handle go around. LOL
06-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Ah yes, the old out of sync syndrome--been there done that! Or the old film leader didn't catch. Learned real quick to put the leader end into the spool and then pull film canister over to the rewind knob! Fire a couple of shots and watch the little handle go around. LOL
I still tighten up the rewind to make sure my film is caught. And I always rewind so the leader is inside the cartridge so I know for a fact it's done.

Out of sync? You bet at 1/1000. Needless to say the shots were toast. And it was the ceremony. And I was an experienced wedding photographer. My "gift" to them would have been about 4 grand. I did manage to get them some really nice shots for the wall though 16 x 20's