Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Paypal Free for send money within the US

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just received this via email, but haven't try it out yet:

QuoteQuote:
Hello Mummy,

Did you know you can use your PayPal balance or bank account to send money to friends and family within the US for FREE? Seriously, neither you or the recipient will pay any fees.

Check it out

06-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

the home URL's are of different origin

i would contact the real paypal before doing anything like this,

site looks fake, and has no link/button to the real paypal site until you hit enter/continue and enter your email addresses..

but why would it ask you to do that?

its like crawling into the house through the window, opening the door, then going in through the door.. again >.<

Last edited by Gooshin; 06-26-2009 at 10:34 AM.
06-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I understand it's free when both persons have an "amateur" account (not sure of the exact name) which comes with a few restrictions: limited $ amount, limited number of transactions per month, quite a few days delay btwn send & receive/cleared, etc.
06-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to be on the safe side, forward that email to spoof@paypal.com and they will get back with you and tell you if it is legitimate or not. There is a similar address for suspicious emails relating to ebay, spoof@ebay.com. I use these every couple of months or so. 99.9% of the stuff I have forwarded to them over the past several years has been a scam of some sort.

06-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Just to be on the safe side, forward that email to spoof@paypal.com and they will get back with you and tell you if it is legitimate or not. There is a similar address for suspicious emails relating to ebay, spoof@ebay.com. I use these every couple of months or so. 99.9% of the stuff I have forwarded to them over the past several years has been a scam of some sort.
Great advice... And, that URL beginning with a CMS.Paypal doesn't look good to me. I often wonder when we see reports of Paypal fraud if the hacking occurred due to a virus/keylogger/reply to a Phishing e-mail and have come to the conclusion that, yes that is almost always the case.

Regards,
Mike
06-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any bank/eBay/Paypal emails that asked you to click any links should be trashed instantly.
06-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Any bank/eBay/Paypal emails that asked you to click any links should be trashed instantly.
Forwarding to the spoof addresses above can actually do some good and then deleted.