Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 04:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
It translated the words, but the second paragraph is boggling my mind.
Google Translate is sh*t. It took me a while to figure out what sort of electronic brain-fart managed to get "airplane" in there. Japanese is not really a language that lends itself well to machine translation.

The real problem is the first phrase of the first sentence of the second paragraph. (1989(平成元)年12月にカメラが輸出検査の対象から外れたのを機に、JCIIは業務の重点を文化的事業へ転換し)

I understand it just fine. The problem is that it doesn't contain enough information. It only says that as of December 1989 cameras intended for export no longer had to be inspected and doesn't give any hint as to why they had to be inspected to begin with. Whether it was from a government mandate or just from voluntary practice.

EDIT:

A short search on Google Japan led me to this economic paper from Nihon University. A look on pages 167 and 168 indicate that cameras were among a list of items mandated by law to be specially inspected for export. The law dates from 1948 and cameras were removed from the list in 1989.

EDIT EDIT:

A bit more searching actually turned up the text of the 1948 law. Interestingly, cameras are not specifically mentioned. Binoculars and microscopes are, but cameras are in the catch-all of "other optical devices".

Last edited by Mike Cash; 07-01-2009 at 05:05 AM.
07-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The law dates from 1948 and cameras were removed from the list in 1989.
from mike post now i know, maybe due 1989, all those stickers already gone. what Pentax camera being released at 1989? i just want to know whter it still carry those stickers?

again this is just curios thing..
07-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
from mike post now i know, maybe due 1989, all those stickers already gone. what Pentax camera being released at 1989? i just want to know whter it still carry those stickers?

again this is just curios thing..
They started making the k1000 in China ~ 1990. The Late version of the LX was still being made in Japan. The P3n and P30n went out of production in 1990 but the P30t continued from 1990-97 but may have been made in China. The P5 stopped in 1989. The SF1n was produced in Japan from 1989-93 and I doubt any of those except maybe the first run had a sticker. The SF1 stopped in production in 1989. The SF7/SF10 was made from 1989-93. The entire P/PZ series was built in the 90s and the MZ/ZX series was made from the mid90s to the middle of this decade.

I think that covers that dates around the 1989 transistion away from the sticker.