Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Thinking about going into the card business Photos included :)

I have a question for all of you out there..

Been enjoying my camera equipment lately, and have been writing poetry for years, I really like to expand my tallent into the card industry..

But i do not know if it is legal for me to take pictures of my Personal Pony Collection to use as graphics on my cards... Can I get in trouble from hasbro for doing this. They did not supply the ponies to me for free. I had to pay for that on my own.. I am not using any of their own graphic or art design, just photographing the toys in the past for my cover art...

I like to experiment and improvise, be daring and creative... Here is a sample of my Photographic skills....

All were taken with the Pentax K20D and the 50mm 1.4 and pop up flash on my camera...These are just sample shots of what I can do... So what do you all think... I am so very serious about going professional... I used Photoshop CS3..

ABCWinter ( Laurie :P

06-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #2

Buy a light tent, the idea is good but your light is way harsh.
06-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ABCWinter Quote
I

But i do not know if it is legal for me to take pictures of my Personal Pony Collection to use as graphics on my cards... Can I get in trouble from hasbro for doing this. They did not supply the ponies to me for free. I had to pay for that on my own.. I am not using any of their own graphic or art design, just photographing the toys in the past for my cover art...
No, it is not legal for you to use Hasbro's ponies like that. What you are creating with their copyrighted materials is considered a "derivative work". That means you own the copyright to the work you created, but you can't use it without the permission of the person who owns the copyright to the material you derived it from. For example: Just for sh*ts and giggles I once translated a Japanese novel. I own the rights to my English translation, but I can't do anything with it, as it is a work derived from the Japanese original, which is the copyright protected property of the original author (read: "copyright holder").

If you try to sell such cards through normal reputable distribution channels at some point somebody is going to ask you about the licensing agreement you have with Hasbro. Look on the toys and I guarantee you'll find a copyright notice molded into the plastic somewhere.

If you sell a couple here and there yourself, chances are Hasbro will never find out. But if they do you may expect to find yourself on the receiving end of a "cease and desist" letter from their corporate attorneys, at the very least.

Think Hasbro won't sue to protect their copyright?
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #4

Laurie - You are going to get sued, and Dads don't want cards with My Little Ponies on them! If you are going to enter into a lawsuit with Hasbro, let it be for something that makes sense, Birthday cards for Daughters with ponies on them.
Speaking from experience here, I have had enough of ponies (begging for them, DVDs, CDs, stepping on them barefoot in the middle of the night, etc.) don't give me a card too.
Now, if you want to sell them on e-bay, you have some great shots there. Just do it before the bottom drops out of the market like the beanie babies.