Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks for all the tips,

She was using Firefox when she got it. So it isn't immune. It's the first program I discovered the tool bar on.

And I've used CClean to try cleaning the system.
AVG for the virus's
In the spyware department I've used Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, along with SuperAntiSpyware.
Although Ad-Aware has discovered it, it just freezes. And the other spyware programs don't even do that much.

I'll try a couple of other things, however I'm pretty much finished with it. I don't want to spend all day trying to patch it up, when it only takes 1/2 a day to re-do everything.

I'm not even planning on seeing them for a few weeks, so I imagine that it'll be even worst then.
This happened to me a while ago as well. Everytime I connected to the web the processors went up to 100% and stayed there leaving to power for what I was actually ment to do.

What I've learned during the process of rescuing my computer:
Windows Defender is crap! It claims the computer is clean when it is full of spyware and malware. I seriously suspect microsoft is taking bribes to make some companies spyware imune to the "defender".
There are many good freeware options to clean up your computer. The one I settled for was SpyBot. Works very efficiently without any hidden fees. I'm even going to make a donation on their website because it works so well.

07-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Indeed Stu been there many times and you are right at some point a re-install is the best method - there are other benefits of a fresh install other than just removing the spyware.

I also keep an image for quicker restores as most of my software is 112 security updates out of date so while the install is relatively painless - the constant update / reboots get somewhat tedious
07-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
I've made a practice of dividing my laptop hdd into 2-3 partitions, one of which to hold data/docs and a ghost image of the (Win+programs) partition taken before the baddies have a chance to attack. Anything occurs, boot into Ghost and it takes just 10 minutes to restore Win+programs from the image. Has rescued me & my family dozens of times.
I have done this too. Helps me stay organized and protects me at the same time. I used a program called Partition Magic. Even allows partition resizing without having to reformat that partition
07-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
By saying "Administrator" I mean any user with administrator rights. Windows usually creates such users by default.
The problem is that if the "account" I use doesn't have administrator rights, I can't do a lot of things that I do.

07-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #20
Forum Member

You can simply make an account without admin rights, and one with them. Always use the one without them for general use.
If you want to install something from the un-privileged account, simply right-click on the EXE or whatever extension the installation file has, and click on "Run As..." That will allow you to choose the privileged account for installing the program.
07-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nanthiel Quote
You can simply make an account without admin rights, and one with them. Always use the one without them for general use.
If you want to install something from the un-privileged account, simply right-click on the EXE or whatever extension the installation file has, and click on "Run As..." That will allow you to choose the privileged account for installing the program.
There's more functions than stalling software that you can't do from an un-privileged account though.
07-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You never know what other junks are hiding on your nb now. Next time, just mirror the hd b4 giving ur pc to anyone. When it came back, just restore it, piece of cake. In the meantime, have fun restoring the oem disc that came with the nb. I know it's a pain in the axx.

07-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There's more functions than stalling software that you can't do from an un-privileged account though.
For example?

Anyway, that's why in Vista UAC was introduced. Even in administrator accounts applications run without administrative rights. If some application requests administrative rights, user is informed and he can allow or dissalow for application to grant such rights.

This is good security measure, however most ignorant users hate it and turn it off...
07-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
For example?

Anyway, that's why in Vista UAC was introduced. Even in administrator accounts applications run without administrative rights. If some application requests administrative rights, user is informed and he can allow or dissalow for application to grant such rights.

This is good security measure, however most ignorant users hate it and turn it off...
Ignorance runs 2 directions however. Those that don't know as much and know it, and those that know a lot and really don't know everything but don't know they don't know everything. The majority of the time, it is the people in these extremes that have these kinds of problems.