Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Court declares Franken the winner of Minnesota Senate race

Court declares Franken the winner of Minnesota Senate race - CNN.com

06-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

A sad day for Minnesota and our country.
06-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
A sad day for Minnesota and our country.
06-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Damn Brit

About time to, I always thought it was just a delaying tactic on the part of the Reublicans.

06-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

Just proves what a joke this government really is. Too bad he sucked as a comic. Now he can suck as a politician.
06-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the first time that a political party has had a super majority in both houses and had control of the White House. This is why political parties are inherently dangerous and a 2-party system is a failure waiting to happen.

DB, if you thing the election in Minnesota wasn't tainted, you are kidding yourself. I think ballots showing up from the trunks of peoples cars is reason to throw the whole thing out. Georgia had a similar situation with 3 candidates and they held a run-off between the top 2 guys and the issue was resolved long ago.
06-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
T

if you thing the election in Minnesota wasn't tainted, you are kidding yourself.
If you think there isn't all kinds of fraud on both sides in every election, you're the one whose kidding himself, not to mention the fact that most voters are so ignorant, so easily fooled, flag wavers for their side "right or wrong" against all logic, or an unfortunate combination of the above negative factors, among others (don't get me started on the easily swayed one issue religious nuts), that the results are no more than who can fool the most people at any given time.

06-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
If you think there isn't all kinds of fraud on both sides in every election, you're the one whose kidding himself, not to mention the fact that most voters are so ignorant, so easily fooled, flag wavers for their side "right or wrong" against all logic, or an unfortunate combination of the above negative factors, among others (don't get me started on the easily swayed one issue religious nuts), that the results are no more than who can fool the most people at any given time.
That still doesn't excuse not holding a run off or letting it "slide" because the other side does it too. Both sides have their religious nutts along with a few squirrels.
06-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

Curious how there were more ballots cast than registered voters in a few counties. And how some ballots in certain counties were approved yet in others weren't. At least Coleman has enough respect for the people of MN and intelligence to concede. Can't say that about the joke that won.
06-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That still doesn't excuse not holding a run off or letting it "slide" because the other side does it too. Both sides have their religious nutts along with a few squirrels.
Exactly my point. Both sides have their fair share of all types of deception..... whatever it takes to win. The people who can only see negative forces on one side or the other are the saps the parties prey on. I would respectfully suggest that anyone who calls himself a Democrat or Republican do themselves & the country a huge favor & cease doing so. It's human nature to root for any club you're a part of, if only to justify your choice. Consequently, most members of any group look for any hairbrained excuse to bend the issues to suit the predrawn conclusions of their club rather than approaching issues with an open mind. Political leaders are well aware of this & know that the battle for their constituants acquiesence on any issue is already 90% won before they open their mouths. I personally find myself agreeing or disagreeing with one side or the other, sometimes only partially, on the merits of each issue after listening to each sides heavily slanted presentations and reaching a conclusion after doing a little research, mixed with a little common sense, on my own.
06-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

Exactly my point. Both sides have their fair share of all types of deception..... whatever it takes to win. The people who can only see negative forces on one side or the other are the saps the parties prey on. I would respectfully suggest that anyone who calls himself a Democrat or Republican do themselves & the country a huge favor & cease doing so. It's human nature to root for any club you're a part of, if only to justify your choice. Consequently, most members of any group look for any hairbrained excuse to bend the issues to suit the predrawn conclusions of their club rather than approaching issues with an open mind. Political leaders are well aware of this & know that the battle for their constituants acquiesence on any issue is already 90% won before they open their mouths. I personally find myself agreeing or disagreeing with one side or the other, sometimes only partially, on the merits of each issue after listening to each sides heavily slanted presentations and reaching a conclusion after doing a little research, mixed with a little common sense, on my own.
Well I stopped calling myself a Republican that's for sure. They stopped standing for what I believe in. I am a Conservative and damn proud of it. Just don't insult me by saying I am a republican.
06-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Then why are you happy an ass-clown like Al Franken will now be in the U.S. Senate? If you are alluding to Al Gore getting his but beat in 2000, it was Gore's fault for getting spanked in his home state. Had he won his home state, Florida would not have mattered. Anyone that looses their home state should not be President. In fact, it is kind of a scary concept. What do those people now about him that we don't?

Edit: I am aware that stuff goes on to cheat in elections. However, normally when enough people vote, it is minimized. However, there is no excuse for allowing organizations like ACORN to go around causing chaos.

My family is currently registered as Dem here in Fl. You have to pick or you can't participate in the primary. We will stay in the party until the 2010 primaries are over so we can vote against the incumbent Allen Boyd in the primary (Al Lawson will be up against him in the Dem primary). We will then join the Rep. Party to vote in the Gov. primary in order to vote against Crist. Then we will switch to independent.

Last edited by Blue; 06-30-2009 at 09:35 PM.
06-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is the first I've heard!!!!

Just sat down at the computer, haven't seen any news or really talked to anyone today about events, so believe it or not, this post is the first I've heard.

And that explains something I saw today - riding bike to a lake/park with my little guy in the Burley, a woman was in her front yard playing with some girls, and setting up some sort of lemonade stand or something, and she was chanting something like "democracy works" and in a joking way the girls would answer back with that chant. She was wearing a "Team Franken" T-shirt. Now I know what that was all about.

Anyway, it's welcome news. Coleman was a bit of a joke. He's known as "Quimby" here in Minnesota, even among his staff. He was a Democrat, switched parties when his personal path to power was blocked by more qualified Democrats, became a Bush/Cheney tool when he thought they were ascendant, switched to bad mouthing them when they weren't, said Franken should "give up for the sake of the taxpayer" when he (Coleman) was ahead by ~200 votes after the first count, and then refused to concede himself after he fell behind after all the subsequent votes. (I guess the Taxpayer didn't matter when Coleman was behind.)

Awesome news. It's a good day in Minnesota. And the nation.

06-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter

And you think Al Franken is not a joke? Coleman is an a-hole but damn.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Just sat down at the computer, haven't seen any news or really talked to anyone today about events, so believe it or not, this post is the first I've heard.

And that explains something I saw today - riding bike to a lake/park with my little guy in the Burley, a woman was in her front yard playing with some girls, and setting up some sort of lemonade stand or something, and she was chanting something like "democracy works" and in a joking way the girls would answer back with that chant. She was wearing a "Team Franken" T-shirt. Now I know what that was all about.

Anyway, it's welcome news. Coleman was a bit of a joke. He's known as "Quimby" here in Minnesota, even among his staff. He was a Democrat, switched parties when his personal path to power was blocked by more qualified Democrats, became a Bush/Cheney tool when he thought they were ascendant, switched to bad mouthing them when they weren't, said Franken should "give up for the sake of the taxpayer" when he (Coleman) was ahead by ~200 votes after the first count, and then refused to concede himself after he fell behind after all the subsequent votes. (I guess the Taxpayer didn't matter when Coleman was behind.)

Awesome news. It's a good day in Minnesota. And the nation.

06-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And you think Al Franken is not a joke? Coleman is an a-hole but damn.

Al Franken told jokes and wrote comedy for a living. That doesn't make him a joke, and you know that, blue - cheap shots are easy.

My sister helped organize a fundraiser for him up in Duluth, and she found him personally wonderful, brilliant, caring. He might be another Wellstone in the Senate - I know Wellstone was despised for his liberal stance on every issue by the Conservatives, but he was possibly the most honest individual to ever take a seat in the Senate, and he came to be respected greatly for that.

I think Franken is cut from the same cloth.