Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Their sign said: Our expertise is free...

I went to a local camera shop last weekend to see if they had any good deals on used Pentax lenses. I was looking in the case at what they had, and a salesman came over and asked if I needed help. I told him I was looking for Pentax lenses, my boyfriend added that I wanted the K mount. This guy obviously didn't even know what a lens was, because he grabbed an old Minolta film camera and said "you can get this camera for only 30 bucks". I told him I didn't need another camera, just interested in the lenses he had. He asked a second employee if we had any Pentax lenses, the guy looked a little stumped, my boyfriend again mentiond the K mount. The guy said "The K mount lenses are manual only so we don't carry them because they don't work on the newer cameras".

So much for free expertise....

05-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

John 11:35

I feel the same way.
05-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least you don't need to waste your time in there any more. I imagine the guy that said K-mounts don't work in newer cameras was the manager. LOL

Last edited by MRRiley; 05-02-2007 at 10:49 AM.
05-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That is both sad and funny.

05-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

sometimes you get what you pay for.
05-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I had to explain what spot metering was to a kid in Jessops recently... not surprising though...

Funnily enough he said he knew all about the camera I was talking about before we started talking...

And on monday a girl working in HMV (music store) asked me what an EP was...

Why don't people take an interest in what they do for a living? ... I think working in a photography shop/music shop would be great! Surely learning /playing with the stuff in store would relieve some of the boredom they are suffering from?
05-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
I had to explain what spot metering was to a kid in Jessops recently... not surprising though...

Funnily enough he said he knew all about the camera I was talking about before we started talking...

And on monday a girl working in HMV (music store) asked me what an EP was...

Why don't people take an interest in what they do for a living? ... I think working in a photography shop/music shop would be great! Surely learning /playing with the stuff in store would relieve some of the boredom they are suffering from?
I agree with you 100%. It's funny I don't know everything about photography and I can honestly say not everything about my camera but I still find time to ask questions and read the questions and answers others are posting. But when I walk into a camera shop and see these kids, either still in high school, or just out of school, and they are selling cameras and equipment, and know nothing about their jobs except how to find the door coming to work and going home I wonder how the owners can justify paying for a warm body (and that's a stretch).
Right now in my life I would very much like to retire from what I do for a living and find a cushy little job selling cameras and equipment.

05-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I think you are stumbling across a common problem (at least in this country) - nobody cares about anything unless it involves them, making money. Camera salesmen probably don't make much - and if they are commissioned, most certainly make more from Canon than Pentax - so guess what they will study (if at all)

Go to a car dealer sometime - read a review from Edmunds.com first - I can almost garantee you'll know more about the car than the salesman - especially if you are looking at a used car.
05-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That's why I now pretty much only deal with a small locally owned store for my new equipment.

I haven't been able to afford everything through them, but they try their best to get me what I need at a good price.

I didn't buy my camera through them, but I'll probably buy my next one through them.
05-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This definite sounds funny and sad at the same time.

But the advantage is that you might get bargains when they are in the store sitting on the shelf with some fantastic price!

That is the reason Joel and I walk to these shops a lot. (just taking a look around for some bargains)