Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
The D5000 doesn't have a built in AF motor either. The best thing to do if you're on a budget is buy used or new after a camera is discontinued. In Nikon land the current best deal going is the D200. You can get them for $600 brand new with full warranty. Its IQ may not be quite as good as the newer 12mp sensor, but it's perfectly acceptable (especially when shooting RAW) and you'll get pro-grade build quality, fast AF and FPS, glass prism VF, x-sync port, built in Nikon CLS wireless flash control, and just about every other pro feature anyone needs. Of course if you want video, live view, and a camera that feels like a toy then the D5000 is the way to go.

Either way you're looking at $600 + $200 (35mm) + $120 (50mm 1.8). Then I'd personally pick up the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 used for $190. All together you could have a nice little kit for $1100.

But that's the problem, like it or not Nikon is considered the superior brand in the publics eyes. Pentax can charge more then Nikon, but its going to take some marketing on their part to make people understand why they should pay more for the brand they know nothing about.

I would never recommend the D200 to a beginner, entering DSLR. They would apply a setting without noticing, and not know how to get out of it; it is way too advanced. And do they even still sell from new ? B&H has no more, and Adorama has one refurbished for 770 $. Besides it has no sensor cleaning, poorer higher Iso, and a non impressive LCD.
I would instead recommend a D80 or D90, for a shopper, new to DSLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Regarding RH,

I have seen a total of three images of his during my time on this forum.

A bee & flower
A moon shot
A Dragon boat team

I will never understand his fixation with the 5D mkI. I will never understand his contempt for Pentax. I can't say I miss him.

Regarding the new pricing of pentax lenses:

(I had yet another rant here about price, but I deleted it. I'm going to go and have a look at a D300 instead.)
I understand the draw from the D300. It has pretty much set the benchmark for APS-C sensor.
Would be a shame to loose you, I always enjoy reading your posts.

07-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
At least Yvonne doesn't write about a camera that he has never used and only held in his hands for 15 minutes. He actually owns and uses the camera he writes and talks about. Huge difference.
the thing is that I (or you for that matter) do not need to read Yvonne to know what Pentax marketing wants me (or you) to read... he is boring... of course you might guess what RH will write too - but all Yvonne's postings are drawing less "interest" than one from RH

PS: if Pentax wants to have an interesting pro-Pentax blog they need somebody like Kanarek
07-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #138
Veteran Member

The issue that we had with RH (if I may speak collectively) was that he followed the same pattern before, during, and after a release.

It went something like:
"This new Pentax _____ is going to be great! Come check out my blog for more!"
"This new Pentax _____ might have a major issue! Come check out my blog for more!"
"This new Pentax _____ fails! Canon 5D ftmfw! Come check out my blog for more!"
"This new Pentax _____ might be ok. Just kidding! You suck, Pentax! Check out my blog for more!"

Then add to the fact that when called out about not using the gear he talks about, what does he reply? "Come to my blog and see that I use Pentax stuff!"

All he's doing is reeling people in with positive news, then breaking their hearts and convincing them that FF is the only way. Stop reading his blog, everyone.

It's people like him who make beginners want to get a FF cam, when they don't even know how to turn it on :ugh:
07-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Stop reading his blog, everyone.
make a confession, brother... was a minute or two ago that your IP was logged there ?!

07-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Why do you people get so worked up over a has-been? (RH has been an active member of this forum)

Let it go.
07-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #141
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I could be wrong, but I thought that RiceHigh just got a warning and decided to take his ball and go play somewhere else. Anyway, I have uttmost respect for a man who doesn't really need facts to form an opinion.
He is banned.
07-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #142
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
He is banned.
Yes, he got a 1-month ban from me after offending our moderators. Good grief...
07-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #143
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, he got a 1-month ban from me after offending our moderators. Good grief...
That's a suspension then and his membership status below his screen name shouldn't say banned if he will be back in a few days. Any way, that wasn't the points I was making. I was responding to a comment on the previous page that he was being picked and and left as a result. The other point I made a page or so back that the biggest reason that this thread is out of bounds is the fact he can't respond to this thread and even if he could, it would likely end up like his last thread. So rather than "good grieffing," just lock the thread.

07-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
make a confession, brother... was a minute or two ago that your IP was logged there ?!
lol no...I think I went there once when I first joined just to see what the big deal was. Turns out I didn't miss much
Closed Thread