Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regarding RH,

I have seen a total of three images of his during my time on this forum.

A bee & flower
A moon shot
A Dragon boat team

I will never understand his fixation with the 5D mkI. I will never understand his contempt for Pentax. I can't say I miss him.

Regarding the new pricing of pentax lenses:

(I had yet another rant here about price, but I deleted it. I'm going to go and have a look at a D300 instead.)

07-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Apparently no one much liked RH, everyone thought his blog was garbage BUT READ IT ANYWAY and probably more than once, replied to his posts when you should just IGNORE THE TROLL, kicked him in the butt on the way out, and now can't stop talking about him.
Sounds like good advice.
07-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know what's incredible

Even without participating in the forums, he STILL generates enough excitement here to fill 77 posts in less than 24 Hrs.

Wow...

I wish I could generate so much excitement without even being around.
07-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #79
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Even without participating in the forums, he STILL generates enough excitement here to fill 77 posts in less than 24 Hrs.

Wow...

I wish I could generate so much excitement without even being around.
They still talk about A. Hitler and C. Manson.

07-06-2009, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They still talk about A. Hitler and C. Manson.
the KING OF POP is dead, yet all his albums are selling like pancakes. NO, RH is not MJ. although RH is a PENTAX molester though.
07-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #81
Veteran Member

The fundamental problem here is that a good portion of his blog readership is made up of people who disagree with him, and want to read the next 'wrong' thing he writes.

If he stops writing about Pentax, he'll lose 75% of his readership, and won't gain it back with Canonites, who have a lot more blogs to choose from.

Unless... he starts bashing Canon. That will bring them to his blog in droves. Maybe that's his plan, p*ss off a much larger base!

07-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The fundamental problem here is that a good portion of his blog readership is made up of people who disagree with him, and want to read the next 'wrong' thing he writes.

If he stops writing about Pentax, he'll lose 75% of his readership, and won't gain it back with Canonites, who have a lot more blogs to choose from.

Unless... he starts bashing Canon. That will bring them to his blog in droves. Maybe that's his plan, p*ss off a much larger base!

that won't happen. he is so madly inlove with his 5D.
07-07-2009, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
that won't happen. he is so madly inlove with his 5D.
And that I don't understand. The 5D has a great sensor, but everything else is just average. I know, as I also have the 5D and had the K20D (sold it in anticipation of the K-7). Every time I use my 5D I wished it had the controls and well thought out layout of my K20D. Also, the back display of the 5D is a bad joke. If RH honestly thinks the 5D is better then he can have it

07-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
no. no he does not.

hwaattt? he does not..?!

now im really mad..!

07-07-2009, 02:47 AM   #85
wll
Veteran Member

Noise ?

I have seen just about every high iso shot and the lack of noise on the K-7 (1600-3200+) images is just outstanding, I have no idea what RH is talking about.

For me, the 6400 iso is usable, especially if you turn it into a black and white image. It will be very interesting to see dpreview's review of this camera after they run it through their tests.

wll
07-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rice is amazingly able to write reviews full of semi coherent gibberish. I can generally discern what he is trying to say, but sometimes it is just confusing.

As far as the prices of Pentax goes, for once I agree with Wheatfield. The worst place to be as a seller is in the "cheap" category. Over the last five years, there have been minimal price increases in both lenses and bodies. Unfortunately, it is probably a lot better policy to raise prices incrementally (5 percent a year) rather than hitting the users with a huge increase all at once.

However, if people want to see better auto focus, full frame, and a truly high end camera from Pentax, the money has to come from somewhere. Selling your lenses at cost is not the way to gain money for research and development.

I don't understand the comparison to the plastic-fantastic primes of Canon. Would Pentaxians be satisfied with a cheap, poorly built 50mm f1.8 that fell apart after a year of moderate use? Just check the reviews on amazon and see what people say about the build quality of these lenses.

In the end, you get what you pay for. Whether it is Canon or Nikon or Pentax, the high end lenses have to cost more. Just ask GM or Chrysler what happens when you sell lots of product at a loss...
07-07-2009, 04:44 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
However, if people want to see better auto focus, full frame, and a truly high end camera from Pentax, the money has to come from somewhere.
I can manual focus, I am happy with the Pentax plans for medium format (if it ever sees the light of day) and I don't know what "high end" means when the K20D can take wonderful shots. So, no, I do not want these things, not if lenses need to double in price. That's why I chose Pentax over Canikon. What differentiates them now?

I find it amazing that you are justifying the FA 50mm selling for £439, the DA* 50-135mm for £919 etc. etc.

I don't understand the comparison to the plastic-fantastic primes of Canon. Would Pentaxians be satisfied with a cheap, poorly built 50mm f1.8 that fell apart after a year of moderate use?
I know little about Canon, but there are plenty of great Nikon lenses to go with their full-featured bodies. None of them fall apart after a year and many are now cheaper than Pentax.
07-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Apparently no one much liked RH, everyone thought his blog was garbage BUT READ IT ANYWAY and probably more than once, replied to his posts when you should just IGNORE THE TROLL, kicked him in the butt on the way out, and now can't stop talking about him.
SpecialK... You cannot always just ignore the trolls... especially when they hang around under bridges where children (or in this case, people making camera purchase decisions) cross. RH is harmful to pentax because his stupid blog is consistently in the top 10 results of searches for "Pentax." As much as I hate him, he comes across to the casual camera buyer as a very authoritative and knowledgeable voice. If I had not been so familiar with Pentax in general from over 20 years experience using their film cameras, after reading RH's drivel about Pentax DSLRs I would have gone Nikon when I went digital. Fortunately I saw thru his facade fairly quickly and bought into a superb digital camera system.

Sometimes trolls need to be squashed... not ignored...

Attachment 38302

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-07-2009 at 10:49 AM.
07-07-2009, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I can manual focus, I am happy with the Pentax plans for medium format (if it ever sees the light of day) and I don't know what "high end" means when the K20D can take wonderful shots. So, no, I do not want these things, not if lenses need to double in price. That's why I chose Pentax over Canikon. What differentiates them now?

I don't want to turn this thread into some kind of apology for Pentax, but I would say that Pentax needs more users and most of those out there that are potential users are going to be drawn in by things like better high iso and better auto focus.

Pentax has done a poor job of selling cameras over the years as a "value" brand. Basically they ended up selling few, cheap lenses and that got them into the place where they were bought out by Hoya.

I don't know what a "fair"price for a given lens is, but in the US, anyway, Pentax's primes are still considerably less than 'L' lenses, just about every one of which is over a thousand dollars. I hope Pentax is wise in their pricing, but I imagine if their sales drop, they will suddenly offer rebates, or discounts to boost them. It is funny how people will buy a more expensive thing "marked down" twenty percent, than the same item at "regular price," even if the regular price is less
expensive.
07-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #90
Damn Brit

I don't want to turn this thread into some kind of apology for Pentax, but I would say that Pentax needs more users and most of those out there that are potential users are going to be drawn in by things like better high iso and better auto focus.
The subject of auto focus is debatable. On Pentax it may be slower than that of other brands but many would say that it is more accurate. If by better you mean faster, then another brand may be the way to go.
High ISO is also another debatable subject. Not everyone is bothered about high ISO. The limitations of ISO on film didn't stop anyone from taking pictures. Many would say that high ISO is merely a gimmick.
Closed Thread