Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricehigh: No More Hope With Pentax

It has to be said: I really miss this schizophrenic guy on this forum. After all his praising, it does not surprise me in the least that he has "extensively tested" the Pentax K-7 and today he declared the Pentax system to be a dead end

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog

07-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
Forum Member

this guy dosn't even shoot pentax, he uses a 5d

Last edited by happyant; 07-06-2009 at 01:00 AM.
07-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Come on, did anyone believed he would actually buy the K-7?
I like this part: "I have bought and read every review and report by the local magazines and all these show unfavourable results in the K-7 performance and image quality."
Reviews and reports. Testing the camera itself, this idea never occurred to him
07-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This man is so TEDIOUS. I don't understand how he does not get tired of his own bullshit after occupying so much of his brain space with all this worthless measurebation and anti-Pentax propaganda (because everyone REALLY CARES whether you prefer a camera brand to another camera brand) crap for literally years. His writing style is grating to the max too; I could make it through about 2 paragraphs of that before my mind shut off completely. He's just regurgitating the same three points over and over again, hoping that someone cares the 136th time he whines about the AF system on a camera he's never used and never will use. Whoop dee doo.

I'm very happy he stopped posting here, at least.

07-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
emr

Asahiflex, isn't your description of him a little harsh? Of course he has his ways which do not come as a surprise.
07-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #6

It was about time!

Hopefully RH will start annoying elsewhere by finding all the (real & imaginary) countless problems in other brand... maybe next in line is Sony, who knows.

But anyway: good riddance, it went far beyond ridiculous in his personal war against Pentax.
07-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

as the saying goes, the more you hate, the more you love. therefore, RICEHIGH loves PENTAX K-7.
07-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
It was about time!

Hopefully RH will start annoying elsewhere by finding all the (real & imaginary) countless problems in other brand... maybe next in line is Sony, who knows.

But anyway: good riddance, it went far beyond ridiculous in his personal war against Pentax.
I dunno. but the A700 seems to have soft images, even with fast lenses used. maybe RICEHIGH could look this up as well.

07-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #9
emr

I just read through RH's blog entry. While there are many points I can't really agree with, it can not be denied that bang-for-buck-wise Pentax has seriously gone downhill. My own opinion is that K-7 may well be a great and worthwhile upgrade for someone who already has a significant number of high quality Pentax glass. But for someone starting from scratch, the brand may no longer be my recommendation. And personally, while I still buy suitable second hand lenses, I refuse to buy new ones until the company revises their pricing.
07-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by happyant Quote
this guy dosn't even shoot pentax, he uses a 5d
So what's new? There are plenty of people who don't even shoot Pentax loitering around here...
07-06-2009, 02:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

From the horse's mouth... everything is revealed... RH aka Michael Poon... has gone over to Canon...

Extracted from his latest blog entry: (emphasis mine)
In fact, my unsensible sentiments with Pentax and my old glass let me withhold many of my purchase plan with my Canon glass during these two years. Those Canon modern glass are actually with more updated technologies and best performance when used with and can cope much better with my Canon 5D body, which I have been totally satisfied with - in terms of IQ, accuracy and performance - the three most important factors for a camera and system - money is actually not a real concern for me, but value for money and reliability of the system and gear are!

Whilst totally and completely desparated with Pentax now, the good thing is that I have finally made up my mind and have started to buy more new Canon lenses and would buy also a new 500D or 40D body to supplement my 5D for just a P&S DSLR with built-in flash or for long range shootings like birds and concerts. In the last weekend, I have used my reserved K-7 Kit + DA 15 funds to buy two Canon L Zooms (the 17-40/4L and the 70-200/4L IS) but still have had some money left and thus I have ordered a new EF 35/2 prime and there is still a little bit saving!!
07-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm at a loss to understand just why Pentax (and every other camera brand) is so expensive in the UK and Europe but, given that all seem to be equally disadvantaged, I don't see real justification in the complaint that the K-7 doesn't represent good value for money. If you have a look at the poll on RiceHigh's site, you'll see that the overwhelming majority of respondents don't agree, either - 736 Yes to 125 No, with 207 Undecided, to the question as to whether or not people intended to buy the K-7 (that's 69% of the total, or a 5.9:1 yes/no ratio, ignoring undecideds).

Although I haven't had the benefit of trying out a K-7 (it isn't available here, yet) others have, and many whose reviews I've read don't agree with RiceHigh's conclusion that the K-7 marks a "dead-end" for Pentax, so I'm sceptical of the basis on which he makes the assertion.

If the positive reviews prove to be true, and my own scrutiny of the real thing confirms that, I'll quite possibly buy a K-7 after the first flush of enthusiasm passes, and the price drops sufficiently, just as it did with the K20D.

RiceHigh's entitled to his opinions, and I know that many people in this Forum were very hostile to him, but it strikes me that there may be some depth to the notion that it's better to have someone inside the tent and peeing out, rather than the other way round, which seems to have happened since RiceHigh's self-imposed exile.
07-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
From the horse's mouth... everything is revealed... RH aka Michael Poon... has gone over to Canon...
Good for him. Now you all can cease giving him the attention and importance in this forum that he doesn't deserve.
07-06-2009, 03:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

While I haven't read his blog, I did see a few posts he made here on different subjects re: the K 7. I was struck by the fact that he somehow wanted the camera to the equivalent of that full frame Cannon. It's priced well below that. It will be interesting to see if he continues writing about a camera and camera company that he no longer uses. At some point (my opinion) this stopped being about a buying a camera was kind of whiny. Just buy a different camera, complain about your old one a bit, and move on. I'm not sure why people read that stuff. Hopefully they would have something better to do with their time. After a while hearing someone complain constantly is kind of like being married to the wrong person.

Hopefully he's divorced Pentax and moved onto Cannon. I kind feel sorry for him. He just seems like a very unhappy person.

That said, I'm holding off on the K7 until I see how the lens prices go. I'm not going to dispute that at some equivalent price point Cannon or Nikon may be a better camera/lens outfit. My K20 is only a little over a year old so I can live with that a few more months while I see how/what Pentax does with their lens prices. However, I did buy a DA 21 and an M 85 from Henry's last week on Ebay. So...........
07-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

damn! I had forgotten about him for a while. Sure didn't miss him. Now he can go and complain about canon. Some people are just complainers and never pleased.
Closed Thread