Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigmalux on the way, wish me luck!

Just sold off some more gear and ordered up a Sigma 50/1.4 for my 1Ds II. Apparently there's been some serious QC issues with this lens, lots of front focusing problems, so wish me luck on it -- I did order from Amazon just in case since they have a good return/exchange policy...

Can't wait to get it! I only see one review here so guessing it's not really that popular in Pentax land...

07-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Just sold off some more gear and ordered up a Sigma 50/1.4 for my 1Ds II. Apparently there's been some serious QC issues with this lens, lots of front focusing problems, so wish me luck on it -- I did order from Amazon just in case since they have a good return/exchange policy...

Can't wait to get it! I only see one review here so guessing it's not really that popular in Pentax land...
if you will decide on exchange - better send it to Sigma Service Center itself in Ronkonkoma, NY - turnaround is fast... and you can request them to put a CD w/ test images once they will be sending the lens back to you... in most cases they just send you another copy instead of trying to repair your copy...

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 07-09-2009 at 01:30 PM.
07-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They can do it with just the lens? Canon usually requires that you send the lens and the body it's used on... if I can get away with just sending the lens off I'm all over that.
07-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would have possibly chosen someone else for Sigma. Apparently Sigma doesn't recognize Amazon as an authorized dealer, meaning no 4 year warranty, just the standard 1 year.

07-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

...I only see one review here so guessing it's not really that popular in Pentax land...
Ummmmm...I wonder why? Could it have something to do with this:

PENTAX DA Star Lens for Digital SLRs and Compacts: smc PENTAX DA Star 55mm F1.4 SDM

- or -

Perhaps this:

PENTAX FA Lens for Digital SLRs and Compacts: smc PENTAX FA 50mm F1.4

- or -

perhaps even something like this:

Russian lens: Helios-44M-4 58mm F/2

Good as the Sigma may be, there are so many options for a 50-58mm lens and so many available at relative low prices. If I had $500 burning a hole in my pocket for a fast 50, I think I might be more inclined to find a Zeiss or a Voigtlander. As a Canon FF shooter, your options are pretty much endless. May I ask why you settled on the Sigma?

Steve
07-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had the Canon 50/1.4 which was a decent performer but nothing exciting. I was browsing one of the photo forums a little while back and some images just jumped out at me -- I found out what the guy had been using and it was a Sigma 50/1.4. Did some more research and looking at shots from it and it has a certain quality I just have not seen in the other 50s (the Canon 50L is amazing too but a little too costly). I do want AF so that seriously limits the options. Thus, Sigma.

I do have my Zuiko 50/1.8 and Industar 50/3.5 for manual focusing fun when I am in the mood and planning to get a couple more old "normals" as well.
07-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

the sigma is supposed to be really nice wide open with smooth bokeh
look forward to seeing your results

i wonder how many people here get the 'lux' reference

07-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

They can do it with just the lens? Canon usually requires that you send the lens and the body it's used on... if I can get away with just sending the lens off I'm all over that.
yes, they can do w/ just a lens alone - or you can send them both lens and the body (if you want to) - I have exchanged my 17-70/2.8-4.5 because of decentering that way (w/o the body)...
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
I would have possibly chosen someone else for Sigma. Apparently Sigma doesn't recognize Amazon as an authorized dealer, meaning no 4 year warranty, just the standard 1 year.
no need to guess - here you can see who is authorized

Sigma - Where to buy

Amazon is there.
07-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Good to know. I was mistakenly informed. Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
no need to guess - here you can see who is authorized

Sigma - Where to buy

Amazon is there.
07-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm sure that the Sigma will treat you good pingflood, they've earned their reputation as one of Sigma's finest lenses.
I'm thinking of getting one myself, when I can afford one.

There is a chance it'll have a (usually front) focus problem, however Sigma is probably the quickest when it comes to repairs like that.
In my opinion your probably best off just getting it repaired vs replaced.
07-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the Canon 50/1.4 which was a decent performer but nothing exciting. I was browsing one of the photo forums a little while back and some images just jumped out at me -- I found out what the guy had been using and it was a Sigma 50/1.4. Did some more research and looking at shots from it and it has a certain quality I just have not seen in the other 50s (the Canon 50L is amazing too but a little too costly). I do want AF so that seriously limits the options. Thus, Sigma.

I do have my Zuiko 50/1.8 and Industar 50/3.5 for manual focusing fun when I am in the mood and planning to get a couple more old "normals" as well.
When you get some photos, do post them up. I know nothing of the lens beyond an early favorable review on dpreview.com and am curious. As you may know, I am a real fan of prime lenses that have "character" and always like to be aware of good product.

Steve

(Strangely...looking for two more fast 50s...it would seem I should know when to quit...)
07-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is here. F/1.6, 100% crop from 16.6MP image. On a 72 dpi monitor roughly equal to a six foot print. At f/1.6...

Last edited by pingflood; 07-10-2009 at 05:00 PM.
07-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It is here. F/1.6, 100% crop from 16.6MP image. On a 72 dpi monitor roughly equal to a six foot print. At f/1.6...

Since I'm not Super Man I can't make out much detail in such a small photograph.
So I have to ask, are you happy with the results
07-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
jem

Looks like a grin to me...