Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 02:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This will make you feel better

Some of you will recall previous discussions where I said that my daughter opted for a Nikon D60 over a Pentax K200d purely because of availability at the time.
The camera has taken some good shots and she has published and sold a post card series using shots from the D60, her old *ist DL, and a Pentax P&S.

She has learnt about Nikon AFS lenses very quickly and the prices & choices.

The D60 has already had one trip back under warranty to repair a non-functioning auto focus in the AFS lens...and of course now, out of warranty, the same issue has reared its ugly head again.

So she now embarks down the track of Nikon repairs and service.

The moral of the story: **it happens mate, no one has a mortgage on invincibility and anyone who thinks they (or a particular product) does is fooling themselves.

The By- Line of the story: She has dusted off the old Pentax DL and kept shooting.

Cheers.

07-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not fun at all having to go through that arduous process. I don't envy her.
Hope it works out for her, and she rejuvenates her interest in Pentax again!
07-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch - as Ash stated no fun.

Just remember that one thing I do like about screw drive lenses: the electronics are much less complicated than the VR/IS/OS lenses for Canon/Nikon. Any problems with a lens having this technology will cost a significant amount of money. Go check some of those brand specific forums as proof. I am not saying or implying anything by the previous sentences. It's just another consideration if something goes wrong, especially in terms of cost.

Grant: I like your analogy on the "mortgage"...

Regards,
Marc
07-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Damn - that is never fun - I have dropped my K10D from about 3 feet onto a tile floor and came away without a scratch - then again I left it overnight once in my trunk in our not so friendly winter (got to about -30C that night) and then it would not power on (new battery, fully charged , etc). I had to go through the 6 - 8 week repair process (warrently fortunatley) which was of course bad timming as Christmas and a trip were comming up - thus started my dual bodies. So even under warrenty it cost me $$

Hope it all works out. Nothing electronic is safe from defect.

07-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear of her misfortune - I hope the repair isn't too costly. I glad she's got a back up.

Jer
07-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't know what post warranty repairs cost for a Pentax are but when I was in a camera shop recently there was a gent there who seemed to think it a better idea to buy a new Nikon versus the cost of getting the usb connector on the camera repaired.
07-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
I don't know what post warranty repairs cost for a Pentax are but when I was in a camera shop recently there was a gent there who seemed to think it a better idea to buy a new Nikon versus the cost of getting the usb connector on the camera repaired.
thanks johnno...your a big help!!! I'll pass it on (& then jump back quickly)

07-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

At least here in Canada Nikon is pretty good about repairing cameras, and even slide the one off warranty slide through without charges.
So she might be alright.

I wish I could say the same about Pentax Canada