Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Banned

question for people who sell on E-bay...

When your auction, BIN or Best Offer sale ends...

Do you.....

Send the buyer a note and thank them for making the purchase?

Send the buyer a not to let them know their purchase has shipped?

Send them a note after delivery confirmation and ask if all was as represented?

Send them a note and thank them for positive feedback?

You know, it's that inquiring minds thing.

07-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by _who_ Quote
When your auction, BIN or Best Offer sale ends...

Do you.....

Send the buyer a note and thank them for making the purchase?

Send the buyer a not to let them know their purchase has shipped?

Send them a note after delivery confirmation and ask if all was as represented?

Send them a note and thank them for positive feedback?

You know, it's that inquiring minds thing.
Hey, it's a Sale, not a Date. I'm not looking for a LTR out of the deal.

eBay! Sends notice to the winner. Paypal sends notice to the winner if I use Paypal to print a shipping label and I almost always do.

Now, this isn't to say that I don't respond to questions or concerns, or notify a buyer of shipment If I don't use Paypal to print a label, I always do, and I do so promptly. However, that's about it.

That enough for you, or do we need to cuddle?

Regards,
Mike
07-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I only send a note if someone has a question about the transaction.
07-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since eBay handles most of the communications including feedback, I usually send one note giving the shipping details and tracking number. Courtesy goes a long way in customer service and satisfaction.

07-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Almost all of the above:
Note to say congrats and here's the bill (invoice).
Note to say I've received payment and sent off item(s) - usually same day so is on same email.
Note to ask buyer to acknowledge receipt of item(s) functioning as expected and leave feedback.
Doesn't take long, and buyer feels he/she's been kept well informed.
07-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Almost all of the above:
Note to say congrats and here's the bill (invoice).
Note to say I've received payment and sent off item(s) - usually same day so is on same email.
Note to ask buyer to acknowledge receipt of item(s) functioning as expected and leave feedback.
Doesn't take long, and buyer feels he/she's been kept well informed.
Good Man. As a careful buyer (I've rarely sold anything on Ebay), I usually initiate a relationship before I bid by asking a question or two about the item (this also protects me if the item arrives in any state other than what's been described in the answers to my pointed questions). I include my first name along with a "Thanks" at the end of the query. This usually has the seller responding in kind, putting us on a pseudo-friendly first name basis. I then send him a note immediately upon completing payment, informing him of this & requesting that he lets me know when item is shipped out with a tracking number so that I might know approximately when to expect delivery. I then contact him when item has arrived & I've left him positive feedback, requesting he do the same for me. All of this is quickly & easily done, & makes for a pleasant, stress free transaction, especially useful if the item you've purchased is not as expected & you're relying on the sellers good will to provide a remedy of some sort. This has happened to me a few times, & I've never encountered anything but cooperation in such cases from any seller I've dealt with thus far..... A little common courtesy goes a long way.

Last edited by raymeedc; 07-15-2009 at 01:45 PM.
07-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes....

Although ebay and paypal will automatically send an email, I do send a real one myself. I think it adds the personal touch to my auctions. That said, I don't sell lots and lots of stuff, so it doesn't really take much time when I do run auctions.....

mark

07-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't sell much on ebay, but I do say thanks when I confirm the final price with shipping. I then let them know when it's shipped and when they should expect to see the delivery.
07-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I am the regular ebay buyer and I'm usually worried if the seller doesn't inform me that the item has been shipped and I have to ask for it.
All of the above should apply as it makes us customers happy and buy again.
I had an encounter with a seller that said I was asking too much questions for a $20 item.
After that kind of a reply, I didn't bother with her anymore and just bought the item from another seller.
I just hope her item doesn't sell with the way she handles her transactions!
07-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As a buyer i hate those sellers who manage to bury you in 10+ emails regarding the purchase of one, inexpensive item. It is enough to know that the item has been shipped, or will be in few days. Other usefull information is already provided by paypal/ebay.
07-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Once the item arrives too, I contact the seller and let them know that package arrived safe and I thank them and give them a very positive rating (for the ones that are concerned and communicates always of my purchase).
07-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Inactive Account

It's happened many ways in my transactions.

One transaction actually resulted in me and the seller meeting and engaging in business totally unrelated to the eBay transaction - which turned out very beneficial for both of us.

Mostly, if there is no automated communication (which there seems to be quite a bit of through eBay and Paypal) then I'll fire off another message. I find that really the only step that Paypal doesn't do is inform the people I've shipped the item, so I usually do that and provide the shipment details and tracking number if applicable.
08-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

As a seller on Fleabay, I generally don't do much in the way of individual communication, unless it's to answer a question that a potential buyer or winner has. As for as shipping notifications, Fleabay has that automated enough that it's easy to check shipping and feedback info. At least on Fleabay, most people are quick about going ahead and leaving feedback once the item arrives; from a seller's standpoint, once I know that they've left feedback, I'll go ahead and leave feedback for them, since I know that with the positive feedback they've left me that they're satisified with their item.

Around here, my communication with buyers is more personal. Generally, once someone has decided that they want to buy my item for sale, I'll send them a PM with payment instructions. Once I've gotten payment (either Paypal or MO), I'll send them another PM acknowledging that. Once it ships, assuming that I've printed out the label via Paypal, I know that they'll be getting an email from them with the tracking number, so I generally don't worry with it. The exception to that would be for packages that for whatever reason don't get a label printed out via Paypal; for international shipments via Express Mail, I'll PM the buyer with the tracking number. At some point either right before I ship or right after I ship, I'll ask them to please let me know once they get the item and everything's OK. Once I have that info, I'll leave them feedback.

That leads me to one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to selling--people who don't contact me after the item arrives to let me know that all is well, especially if it's an expensive item that I've shipped to them. I just want to make certain that the item arrived in good condition (ie--the box didn't get run over by a truck or something)--if not, then I'd need to start the claims process for the extra shipping insurance that I added for those types of situations, so that neither one of us wind up losing in this deal. I generally do have delivery confirmation or tracking on almost all of my packages and while it tells me that a package has arrived, it doesn't tell me that it arrived in one piece.

Anyway, that's my take on it.
Heather
08-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Yes to all. It makes it a little more personal to know that the person is taken care rather than an eBayer seller who sells so much they don't even communicate with their buyers. This way it's a good transaction for them and they will maybe buy from you again.

If I buy from a big seller and don't get any communication, I won't buy from them again. Common courtesy; treat people the way you want to be treated. When I get the item I give the person a feedback and also send them a note to say thank you.