Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
graphicgr8s

Just a little something to think about:

QuoteQuote:
Spending of $1 Million Per Day Since Christ's Birth Would Come to About $734 Billion
Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, Senate Republican Minority Leader, opens some eyes with a statement that's not open to debate.

Mitch McConnell says, to give the proposed economic stimulus plan some perspective: "If you started the day Jesus Christ was born and spent $1 million every day since then,
Economic Stimulus: $1 Million Per Day Since Jesus Christ Falls Short
you still wouldn't have spent $1 trillion."

We could do the math, but politifact.com in care of the St. Petersburg Times did the math for us. Biblical scholars may debate exactly when Jesus Christ was born, but the most common finding is that Jesus Christ was born some wher around 4 B.C. If this is true, then 4 B.C. should be adjusted to 0 B.C. and this would be 2012, which in a screwy way would mean Barack Obama was up for re-election, which would make some people happy, whatever!

So let's stick with Mitch McConnell's math. Take 2012 years times 365 days, then add 513 days for leap years, and you get about $734.5 billion. That's less than an economic stimulus package that could cost anywhere from about $800 billion to $1.2 trillion. But McConnell omits, since Republicans are such friends with Wall Street, that the sum is only slightly higher than the $700 billion Wall Street bailout.

The federal deficit has topped $1 trillion for the first time ever and could grow to nearly $2 trillion by this fall, intensifying fears about higher interest rates, inflation and the strength of the dollar.
The deficit of $1.09 trillion so far this year compares to an imbalance of $285.85 billion through the same period a year ago. The deficit for the 2008 budget year, which ended Sept. 30, was $454.8 billion, the current record in dollar terms.
Now as I understand a "deficit" If I have a million dollars in my checking account and write a check for two million dollars I have a deficit of one million dollars. If we have a trillion dollar deficit how much did the Obama spend in total so far?

Hmmmmm...

07-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lets look at this another way.

Lets say that your debt free, and have been that way all your life.
However your (formerly rich) father never stopped buying big ticket items after his accounts dried up. So he's now several million in debt.

There's a chance that he'll leave you his debt on his death bed, and then you'd need to borrow heavily to pay for it.
With the interest, and additional charges you may even be further in debt for a while.

I imagine this is more or less what has happened to your present government.
07-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Or to put things in perspective, if you had spent two and a half million dollars per day since the day the Cro-Magnons of the Upper Paleolithic painted the Lascaux caves in France 15,000 years ago, by now you'd have spent just about as much wealth as the US produces in a single year (assuming an annual GDP of about 14 trillions).

Seriously, all these calculations are meaningless, other than to impress the rubes with big fancy schmanzy numbers. It is of course unfortunate we find ourselves in this economic hole of our own creation, but there is no doubt that deficits, either caused by direct spending or by massive tax cuts (which would need to be several times as large in order to achieve the same economic recovery effect, according to the CBO estimates), are necessary at this point to support the economy and prevent it from going into a tailspin.
07-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
Or to put things in perspective, if you had spent two and a half million dollars per day since the day the Cro-Magnons of the Upper Paleolithic painted the Lascaux caves in France 15,000 years ago, by now you'd have spent just about as much wealth as the US produces in a single year (assuming an annual GDP of about 14 trillions).

Seriously, all these calculations are meaningless, other than to impress the rubes with big fancy schmanzy numbers. It is of course unfortunate we find ourselves in this economic hole of our own creation, but there is no doubt that deficits, either caused by direct spending or by massive tax cuts (which would need to be several times as large in order to achieve the same economic recovery effect, according to the CBO estimates), are necessary at this point to support the economy and prevent it from going into a tailspin.
The Obama says he isn't going to use CBO numbers. So that dog don't hunt anymore.

You're right, the only numbers that mean anything is 1.09 trillion dollars so far this year. More than 2 times the entire 2008 fiscal year.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 07-15-2009 at 05:36 PM.
07-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Lets look at this another way.

Lets say that your debt free, and have been that way all your life.
However your (formerly rich) father never stopped buying big ticket items after his accounts dried up. So he's now several million in debt.

There's a chance that he'll leave you his debt on his death bed, and then you'd need to borrow heavily to pay for it.
With the interest, and additional charges you may even be further in debt for a while.

I imagine this is more or less what has happened to your present government.
But let's say that Dad didn't spend and spend. In fact he tried to put restriction on those that lent money, but his liberal uncle started handing out entitlements (entitlements? thats stupid in and of itself. No one is entitled to my money) and couldn't be stopped.
07-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Just an FYI, the number in your thread title is 100 trillion.
07-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Just an FYI, the number in your thread title is 100 trillion.
Yeah I know. But once it was posted and I saw it I couldn't change it. But wait, next year it will be accurate again.

07-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Maybe you're a rube impressed by big numbers...
07-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Maybe you're a rube impressed by big numbers...
Only when they refer to a women's bu whoops can't say that can I?
07-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Woops, double post
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Only when they refer to a women's bu whoops can't say that can I?
Sure you can, Bust Size
07-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Sure you can, Bust Size
(snicker, snicker)

Reminds me of a Joe Walsh song right about now.

Hey, shouldn't you be working on a resume?
07-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
Inactive Account

But let's say that Dad didn't spend and spend. In fact he tried to put restriction on those that lent money, but his liberal uncle started handing out entitlements (entitlements? thats stupid in and of itself. No one is entitled to my money) and couldn't be stopped.
That's hilarious.
07-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
graphicgr8s

What's hilarious about it? I am not saying Bush didn't spend. and spend. But the dems outspent him 5-1. And he actually did try to bring banking under control. Of course Barney lied right to the American peoples face. And still is in office.
07-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
Inactive Account

What's hilarious about it? I am not saying Bush didn't spend. and spend. But the dems outspent him 5-1. And he actually did try to bring banking under control. Of course Barney lied right to the American peoples face. And still is in office.
It's not hilarious from a Nelson Munts "ha-ha" kind, but the analogy you provided vs. the one you responded to was spot on and made me laugh. I guess more of an ironic hilarious. I'm in no way making light of the economic situation, I apologize if anybody took it that way.
Closed Thread