Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

A utility to hide desktop icons

Hey, you worked hard to get the right photos for your desktop wallpaper right? Here is a neat free utility that will make it easy for you to automatically hide those Icons so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. The program is called Iconoid. I have no affiliation with the owners or founders whatsoever but have been using their utility for years now. It works great! It is free and you can download it here:

Iconoid - Hide and show desktop icons, maketransparent backgrounds

Just thought you might like to know and perhaps share any similar program you are using.

Cheers all,
Eric

07-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

exit to your desktop

right click

-->view

--> "show desktop icons"

???

profit!

explain to me again why you would need a 3rd party program for something windows has been doing for years?
07-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
exit to your desktop

right click

-->view

--> "show desktop icons"

???

profit!

explain to me again why you would need a 3rd party program for something windows has been doing for years?
thanks never knew that but then again not really overly computer savy here
07-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
exit to your desktop

right click

-->view

--> "show desktop icons"

???

profit!

Because it is a utility that automatically hides the icons in accordance with your settings for the utility. I do not have to right click anything. Also because I wanted it, that's why. Additionally I do not owe anyone an explanation. I was just being friendly and passing on some knowledge on a gadget. I am fully aware of how Windows utilities function and how many years they have been doing it.

Furthermore, if you really check the utility out you will discover that it does just a bit more than hide your icons.

07-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Bokehboy Quote
Because it is a utility that automatically hides the icons in accordance with your settings for the utility. I do not have to right click anything. Also because I wanted it, that's why. Additionally I do not owe anyone an explanation. I was just being friendly and passing on some knowledge on a gadget. I am fully aware of how Windows and it's utilities function.

Furthermore, if you really check the utility out you will discover that it does just a bit more than hide your icons.
Don't worry Eric, you'll get used to Gooshin, we have.
07-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Because it is a utility that automatically hides the icons in accordance with your settings for the utility. I do not have to right click anything. Also because I wanted it, that's why. Additionally I do not owe anyone an explanation. I was just being friendly and passing on some knowledge on a gadget. I am fully aware of how Windows utilities function and how many years they have been doing it.

i have enough utilities

and i dont know about the rest of you.. but aside from some short-term docs and files, my desktop is free of everything but the recycling bin...
07-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i have enough utilities

and i dont know about the rest of you.. but aside from some short-term docs and files, my desktop is free of everything but the recycling bin...

That's cool. Hope you can forgive an old fart like me for being a bit crabby. My desktop looks a lot like some of the other ones posted on another thread. Thought some might like this tool.

07-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have about a thousand icons on my desktop.....thanks for the link Bokehboy.
07-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i have enough utilities
It's not about you.

I am glad for the information. Looks like others are as well.

If you don't need it then move along.

woof!
07-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, I'd be lost. If I ever saw the desktop, anyway, apart from when booting up, shutting down, or looking for something I put on the desktop so I could find it in the first place. Thought that was what it was for.
07-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Banned

i have enough utilities

I don't even have the recycle bin on my desktop. your is too cluttered...
07-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've always used the built-in Windows function Gooshin pointed out + the "Desktop" toolbar on the taskbar. I don't really get the need for a third-party utility either, but to each his own.
07-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, my "desktop" (hate that name) is icon free too, just use the Windows turn off thing.
07-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sometimes we buy or use things because we like them. If everything were invented, used or bought on need only basis it would be a very spartan world.

....and some of us don't particularly care for the way some components of Windows function. Freedom of choice because we want it and not necessarily "need" it. Kind of like owning two DSLR's when one will suffice. Why two? Because we want to.
07-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Sometimes we buy or use things because we like them. If everything were invented, used or bought on need only basis it would be a very spartan world.

....and some of us don't particularly care for the way some components of Windows function. Freedom of choice because we want it and not necessarily "need" it. Kind of like owning two DSLR's when one will suffice. Why two? Because we want to.
oftentimes people want two of something when one will suffice because they want their friends and neighboors to be jealous.