Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Review – Olympus EP-1 Digital PEN Camera

Here's a review done by a friend:

Part 1:
Review - Olympus EP-1 Digital PEN Camera | David's Simple Photography

Part 2:
Review - Olympus EP-1 Digital PEN Camera - Part II of III | David's Simple Photography

Part 3:
Review - Olympus EP-1 Digital PEN Camera - Part III of III | David's Simple Photography

07-20-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Oh, you know him? I just read his review yesterday. Please extend my regards to him.

His review is pretty much fair, though if I had to give a numerical score for the E-P1, I'd be giving it an 8 (compared to David's 7), everything considered, primarily since I don't shoot sports and action much, and if I would, I don't mind going at it using manual focus, though, of course, that's not for everyone. The form factor and image quality (both sensor and kit lens) sealed the deal for me.

Gravy would be HD video, art filters (less time doing PP is great for a hobbyist like me), and the ability to mount most lenses via adapters.
07-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for this post. To me, this Olympus is the most interesting new camera this year. I wish Pentax would do something like this designed around the DA Limiteds.

Jer
07-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Another review:

Login

07-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Oh, you know him? I just read his review yesterday. Please extend my regards to him.

His review is pretty much fair, though if I had to give a numerical score for the E-P1, I'd be giving it an 8 (compared to David's 7), everything considered, primarily since I don't shoot sports and action much, and if I would, I don't mind going at it using manual focus, though, of course, that's not for everyone. The form factor and image quality (both sensor and kit lens) sealed the deal for me.

Gravy would be HD video, art filters (less time doing PP is great for a hobbyist like me), and the ability to mount most lenses via adapters.
Yup... will do.

Frankly, he's really really rooting for it but the AF system just isn't at par with the rest of the camera. Quite surprising given that he's very adept in using MF too (though that's quite hard to do in low light I presume).

Hopefully, the AF issue can be corrected with a firmware update.

Re: Sailor

Yup... hopefully they do. Chuck away the optical VF and forget about weather sealing...
07-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mazdamazda Quote
Yup... will do.

Frankly, he's really really rooting for it but the AF system just isn't at par with the rest of the camera. Quite surprising given that he's very adept in using MF too (though that's quite hard to do in low light I presume).

Hopefully, the AF issue can be corrected with a firmware update.

Re: Sailor

Yup... hopefully they do. Chuck away the optical VF and forget about weather sealing...
The LCD gets quite noisy in lower light levels, making it harder to focus manually. I suppose there could be a trick/habit one can learn over time to make things easier, but yeah, for now, it's kinda hard to MF in low light.

One Olympus user in England (probably a trusted Olympus photographer, since he's able to borrow stuff from Olympus UK for testing) thinks that the AF was designed for now to be able to focus with any regular 4/3 lens using the adapter. The Panasonic G1 and GH1 are only able to do that on certain lenses.

I think he may be right, especially when we consider that Olympus has the bigger burden of supporting regular 4/3 lenses since Panasonic only has a few of those made while that had been Olympus' bread and butter for quite some time.

That trade-off, though, has come at the expense of slower AF. I'm also hoping for improvements in AF via firmware in the future, but part of the problem is the lens, too, as some has noticed faster AF when using Panasonic lenses on the E-P1.

It's a serious deal-breaker for some, but not for me. The fact that I'm able to get it past the local stadium guards (who thinks that any DSLR, even with a kit lens, is a professional camera - they *could* be used professionally, but the person behind the camera is largely the determinant) is a big help for me. I don't think the G1/GH1 gets past those guards, even with the diminutive size.
07-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

why couldnt they just make it a range finder?

07-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
One Olympus user in England (probably a trusted Olympus photographer, since he's able to borrow stuff from Olympus UK for testing) thinks that the AF was designed for now to be able to focus with any regular 4/3 lens using the adapter. The Panasonic G1 and GH1 are only able to do that on certain lenses.
if that's true, that is weak. they could have made one focusing mode for 4/3 and another for m4/3.
07-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
why couldnt they just make it a range finder?
Why indeed? What a sweet set up that would be, and wouldn't need any mumbo jumbo.

Jer
07-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
if that's true, that is weak. they could have made one focusing mode for 4/3 and another for m4/3.
Well, it's mere supposition by one Olympus user. My personal mindset is that Olympus is still doing research on better contrast AF tech, and that Panasonic won't share theirs with Olympus (with good reason - Panasonic is just about the lone manufacturer able to make decent contrast AF in the interchangeable-lens space).
07-22-2009, 12:28 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
An AF assist lamp would have helped a lot IMO... deleting that feature just for aesthetic purposes seemed like a marketing move (am sure those engineers are itching to stuff that thing with it).
07-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Why indeed? What a sweet set up that would be, and wouldn't need any mumbo jumbo.

Jer
If you meant film rangefinder the Contax G2 is a quality, AF rangefinder system with interchangeable lenses. That would be my choice.
07-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I personally find this camera extremely ugly and a good case of bad industrial design. It looks far too busy, and I'm not talking about the buttons and wheels and nubs. I'm talking about the moulded plastic. Why are there so many crevices and levels to the outer shell? It's too much! The designers should've made it retro, as in identical to the PEN F:

Not only does the camera stand out as a pathetic blast from the past, the lenses are also ugly, and useless. Where are all the fast primes outside of the telephoto range? And I'm talking about fast primes that are equivalent to their 35mm cousins. When will any of the companies signed up to this lame 4/3 sensor standard be releasing 25mm F1.4 or 14mm F1.4 or 40mm F1.4 lenses? How about a 7mm F2.8 or faster? Look at the image above, at just a smidgen larger, the old PEN has a 38mm F1.8 lens, while the digital version has a 17mm F2.8, which is basically a 34mm F2.8 lens. It should be easier to design good fast optics for smaller sensors, yet I'm not being convinced by their ability to produce.
07-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
If you meant film rangefinder the Contax G2 is a quality, AF rangefinder system with interchangeable lenses. That would be my choice.
Naw - I was thinking about digital designed around the Limited lenses. I've got a Leica M3, so I've got the film side covered (should I ever use film again).

Jer
07-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
I personally find this camera extremely ugly and a good case of bad industrial design. It looks far too busy, and I'm not talking about the buttons and wheels and nubs. I'm talking about the moulded plastic. Why are there so many crevices and levels to the outer shell? It's too much! The designers should've made it retro, as in identical to the PEN F:

Not only does the camera stand out as a pathetic blast from the past, the lenses are also ugly, and useless. Where are all the fast primes outside of the telephoto range? And I'm talking about fast primes that are equivalent to their 35mm cousins. When will any of the companies signed up to this lame 4/3 sensor standard be releasing 25mm F1.4 or 14mm F1.4 or 40mm F1.4 lenses? How about a 7mm F2.8 or faster? Look at the image above, at just a smidgen larger, the old PEN has a 38mm F1.8 lens, while the digital version has a 17mm F2.8, which is basically a 34mm F2.8 lens. It should be easier to design good fast optics for smaller sensors, yet I'm not being convinced by their ability to produce.
The design is a mix of retro and modern. You can't sell solely on retro alone, as there are folks who like to buy modern-looking stuff, too. The current design is a good compromise, save for the lack of an EVF (certainly not a deal-breaker for me).

About the lenses, it takes time. Panasonic is slated to come out with a 20/1.7 soon. About fast optics for small sensors, I believe the consensus is that smaller sensors are harder to design for.

Olympus is actually pretty fast in coming out with lenses for regular 4/3, but I wonder if maintaining two lens lineups will hurt their capability to bring out m4/3 lenses in a timely manner.

You seem predisposed to hate the camera, though, even when the "lame" sensor is actually producing good results. In case you didn't notice, there's such a thing called perspective in the shot you linked to, so it seems like the E-P1 and the Pen are nearly similar in thickness when they're not.

Last edited by vinzer; 07-24-2009 at 08:15 PM.