Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
But are digital sensors accurate? With only on or off how can it compare to variable? Like a rheostat or potentiometer which can go in between 1 and 2?

I know on my radio which goes incrementally ie 1, 2, 3 etc. it always seems 2 isnt enough and 3 is too much. I like the old way better. Just always seems a compromise with digital.

I got to admit I do not have much practical experience with the digital engine systems. The ones that i worked on were all analog. However I have a friend that is a recently retired Chief Warrant Officer 5, CW5, who retired as a Black Hawk test pilot and instructor pilot. She tells me that the move to digital engine control was a blessing. I will have to ask her but I would not be surprised to find out that they still use some type of mechanical droop compensator and/or pneumatic accumulator setup for engine stability.

I just know she has tons of flight hours in some very trying conditions and loves the digital engine control.

BAE Systems Delivers 10,000th Engine Control for Apache, Black Hawk Helicopters - BAE Systems

07-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #32
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
Your CD player etc use digital - the accuracy is a function of the number of samples converted to a number. eg with computer screen colour (RGB) colour is 0-255 levels in each channel - so 255 255 255 is white, but drop off a few numbers and its grayer. This has 65000 levels.

Thats potentially limiting, so other systems like CMYK or LAB add luminance, and give and give 2^4 levels - even more to play with....
Actually if you look at the gamut of cmyk v rgb, rgb has the larger gamut
07-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #33
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How about Steven Sasson and the CCD and the digital camera?

Medical wise, how about PET & MRI?

How about the Baltimore classification system for viruses?

Polymerase chain reaction?

GPS?
Not big enough and nothing to be proud of anyway.
07-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I hope and pray that your children never, ever need this:

"Lifesaving Light - Special lighting technology developed for plant growth experiments on space shuttle missions is being studied to treat brain tumors in children. Doctors at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee are working with light emitting diodes in a treatment called photodynamic therapy, a form of chemotherapy, to kill cancerous tumors."

My son is a cancer survivor thanks to N.A.S.A., the military doctors at Bethesda and Walter Reed. If not for the people form this country he would be dead now. So please understand if I tell you that if you do not like this country please feel free to get out anytime.

By thew way thanks for taking this thread somewhere it was not intended to go.

07-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's because you are ignorant of the impacts of the aforementioned breakthroughs.
07-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #36
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Bokehboy Quote
I hope and pray that your children never, ever need this:

"Lifesaving Light - Special lighting technology developed for plant growth experiments on space shuttle missions is being studied to treat brain tumors in children. Doctors at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee are working with light emitting diodes in a treatment called photodynamic therapy, a form of chemotherapy, to kill cancerous tumors."

My son is a cancer survivor thanks to N.A.S.A., the military doctors at Bethesda and Walter Reed. If not for the people form this country he would be dead now. So please understand if I tell you that if you do not like this country please feel free to get out anytime.

By thew way thanks for taking this thread somewhere it was not intended to go.
I'm not denying the importance of NASA and advances that have come fromtheir research. It is a shame though that many of these advances in respect of being beneficial for mankind have come as a lucky byproduct instead of being deliberate.
I still hold by my earlier statement though, America has been going in the wrong direction for a long time and has fallen behind other nations in the field of humanitarian advances.
Your statement about me getting out if I don't like it was a cheap shot by the way, I prefer to stay and do my utmost to make this country and this world better than it is.

You should realise by now that threads in General Talk rarely go in the intended direction.

That's because you are ignorant of the impacts of the aforementioned breakthroughs.
Not ignorant, what is there to be proud of when kids starve so you can have a cheap laptop or any of the other aforementioned breakthroughs.
07-21-2009, 05:46 AM   #37
graphicgr8s

I still hold by my earlier statement though, America has been going in the wrong direction for a long time and has fallen behind other nations in the field of humanitarian advances.

Not ignorant, what is there to be proud of when kids starve so you can have a cheap laptop or any of the other aforementioned breakthroughs.
Are you crazy? Look at whose there first with aid. And why don't we talk about china's advances in humanitarian aid. Among others.

07-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #38
Site Supporter

The aforementioned breakthroughs had nothing to do with cheap laptops (which weren't all that cheap initially anyway). They had to do with medical breakthroughs as well as scientific ones. The Polymerase chain reaction is the screwdriver of basic and applied genetics work. PET and MRI has had a dramatic impact on invasive surgery.

As far as "children" starving, we do major effort. However, we aren't the only country in the world and many of these countries have ruthless dictators. Before you pull resource usage out of your arse, we also out produce other nations in agriculture and the breakthroughs in agriculture have also been major since 1969.
07-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #39
graphicgr8s

The aforementioned breakthroughs had nothing to do with cheap laptops (which weren't all that cheap initially anyway). They had to do with medical breakthroughs as well as scientific ones. The Polymerase chain reaction is the screwdriver of basic and applied genetics work. PET and MRI has had a dramatic impact on invasive surgery.

As far as "children" starving, we do major effort. However, we aren't the only country in the world and many of these countries have ruthless dictators. Before you pull resource usage out of your arse, we also out produce other nations in agriculture and the breakthroughs in agriculture have also been major since 1969.
And lets not forget that all that genetic engineering has allowed Monsanto to put Bacillus Thurengensis into potatoes to kill the worm that eats the potato thereby allowing them to develop a resistance to the bacteria and hurt the organic farmer. Or the fact that they have put fish dna into tomatoes for cold hardiness. So if you are a vegan and eat a tomato so altered are you still a vegan?

We may outproduce but if there is so much hunger why do we pay farmers to let their ground lie fallow? And since we are producing so much with synthetic fertilizers how much are we hurting the environment?
07-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #40
Site Supporter

And lets not forget that all that genetic engineering has allowed Monsanto to put Bacillus Thurengensis into potatoes to kill the worm that eats the potato thereby allowing them to develop a resistance to the bacteria and hurt the organic farmer. Or the fact that they have put fish dna into tomatoes for cold hardiness. So if you are a vegan and eat a tomato so altered are you still a vegan?

We may outproduce but if there is so much hunger why do we pay farmers to let their ground lie fallow? And since we are producing so much with synthetic fertilizers how much are we hurting the environment?
First off, the potato is not in wide spread use. Secondly, resistance management is important whether conventional, IPM or organic methods are used. The said tomato isn't found in grocery stores very often either. There aren't as many farmers getting paid to "Not grow" crops as you think either. The biggest racket used to have to do with tobacco farming but that's another issue.

Off to do some biological control work . . .
07-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Gary said, "Your statement about me getting out if I don't like it was a cheap shot by the way, I prefer to stay and do my utmost to make this country and this world better than it is."

Gary,
I apologize for being a bit of a hothead. I was raised old fashioned. I am a firm believer in the saying from Thomas Paine, "Lead, follow or get out of the way". As a veteran of our military I helped this nation pour tremendous amounts of money, time and effort into making the world a better place to live. A different time and different leadership. If I am going to find fault in something then I am going to do my best to fix it or change it too, not just talk it down. I admire your courage and willingness to act. Strengths that the nation and the world in general need.

No hard feelings I hope.

Eric
07-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #42
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Another very important spin off!

This spin off called H.A.C.C.P. (Hazardous Analysis and Critical Control Point) was developed by Pillsbury for N.A.S.A. to ensure safety for the flight crews from food borne illness. It has been adopted almost world wide by the food service industry.

Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It works great and we have seen the results when it's guidelines along with it's spin off of SaniServ Serv Safe Food program are not followed. I was in the restaurant business for a long time and this strict program works great. It also applies to how we handle food in the supermarkets and at home.

Welcome to ServSafeŽ
07-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #43
graphicgr8s

Man there's more that came from NASA and space exploration in general that we don't even think of. Only problem is it's all from the 60's. And it still works. Well except for computers those are still a PITA

What about Velcro?

Actually NASA didn't invent it.

Nope, Velcro was invented by the Swiss aristocrat and engineer, Georges de Mestral, who was born in 1907.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 07-21-2009 at 09:21 AM.
07-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Man there's more that came from NASA and space exploration in general that we don't even think of. Only problem is it's all from the 60's. And it still works. Well except for computers those are still a PITA

What about Velcro?

Actually NASA didn't invent it.

Nope, Velcro was invented by the Swiss aristocrat and engineer, Georges de Mestral, who was born in 1907.
Those older spin offs are still generating new technologies of their own. This site will get you some of the very latest N.A.S.A. spinoffs:

NASA Spinoff homepage

Thanks for the info on Velcro.
07-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #45
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Bokehboy Quote
Those older spin offs are still generating new technologies of their own. This site will get you some of the very latest N.A.S.A. spinoffs:

NASA Spinoff homepage

Thanks for the info on Velcro.
Yeah when I was looking for the inventions I came across that site. People tend to forget all that space exploration gave us and still gives us. The professor who talk me in college was head of Huntsville and got me interested in cryo and propulsion systems. He had helped design the shuttle engines. Some amazing things came out of our space quest.