Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
They look stupid.

If I wore a pair of those, I think I'd have to kick my own ass.
Don't. If you hit your own coccyx, you might break a toe.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Are they bicycle-friendly?
Unless you get your toes caught in the chain, the spokes, the gears, or if you have to stop suddenly and your brakes aren't quite doing it so you put your feet down, then I suppose they might be.

I mean...jeez, no. Please. Don't. They mightn't be uglier than Crocs, but by gum the difference would have to be measured with some seriously expensively electron microscope and a bunch of NASA engineers.

07-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I've recently taken up barefoot running, and I've been thinking about picking up a pair of these since the pavement gets a little rough at times. I just wish Five-Ten made a version with stealth rubber... I can no longer stand shoes with normal rubber. I imagine they'd be fine for cycling as long as your feet are strong (I do that barefoot on occasion as well but it's not very comfortable :-P ).

You silly people and your prejudices. These look perfectly fine imo, not to mention that if you must wear shoes all the time they're pretty much the best thing for your feet; the lack of additional cushioning and support leads your feet to develop properly, which "oddly" seems to prevent chronic foot and posture issues. After all, our foot structure did evolve to allow us to run for miles and miles barefoot every day. Walking around a few hours a day should be no problem if we let our feet develop how they're supposed to, eh?

And anyways, crocs are hideous. No comparison. :-P
When I was a kid we used to run barefoot through the pastures while doing morning chores. Nothing like the warm, oozy feel of a fresh cow patty on a frosty fall morning!
07-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I ordered a pair last Friday, and still waiting for Canada Post to deliver them... It's taking too long. I want them... NOW!
07-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Are they available in sharkskin with leather soles?

Jer
Why would you need them in shark's skin with leather souls?

07-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have a pair of Crocs.
They are comfy and are quick and easy to slip on for slopping around the garden and such.
Besides, they're made in Canada so they have to be great!

I think the Five Fingers look interesting.
I'd probably buy a pair just for laffs.
07-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #21
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I have a pair of Crocs.
They are comfy and are quick and easy to slip on for slopping around the garden and such.

I think the Five Fingers look interesting.
I'd probably buy a pair just for laffs.
Isn't Crocs going bankrupt?

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/17/smallbusiness/crocs.smb/index.htm
07-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I have a pair of Crocs.
The crocs plant that was here closed and moved production to China last summer... 700 people lost their jobs here.

As for those 5 fingers things, they sorta look like ninja shoes from those cheezy 80's ninja movies

Pat

07-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
The crocs plant that was here closed and moved production to China last summer... 700 people lost their jobs here.

As for those 5 fingers things, they sorta look like ninja shoes from those cheezy 80's ninja movies

Pat
I wasn't aware of the plant closure, but it doesn't surprise me.
07-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ninja shoes!!!
07-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #25
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why don't they just put a small layer of neoprene across the top, to cover the split toes, so it looks like a normal shoe. The inside could be the same as you see it, but it would just look better.
07-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Why don't they just put a small layer of neoprene across the top, to cover the split toes, so it looks like a normal shoe. The inside could be the same as you see it, but it would just look better.
Well, that would kinda defeat the purpose (of having them be "different")..

I'd wear a pair, just for the hell of it!

Jim
07-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I just got my pair of "classics" today and went for a walk with the dog. I noticed two things:
1. Either my gait is incorrect or I'm not used to barefooting on concrete (gee), but my heel was in a bit of pain at the end from striking the ground.
2. I almost got a blister on both feet. It occurred at the point where the material with the tightening cord goes over the large tendon that moves the big toe upward (extensor hallucis longus). It was more more painful on my left foot as I have a prominent vein right where the fabric was making contact.

Otherwise, they look pretty cool to me. It's somewhat of a battle to get all toes into the appropriate slots; the pinky toe is the most difficult, as it's the least mobile. I'll take them for a more serious adventure tomorrow when I got downtown to pickup a book from the library... and do some shootin'.

Last edited by mischivo; 07-29-2009 at 09:30 PM.
07-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Well, that would kinda defeat the purpose (of having them be "different")..

I'd wear a pair, just for the hell of it!

Jim
I thought they were made that way so you could still climb trees and peel bananas with your toes, like a chimp.
07-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
I just got my pair of "classics" today and went for a walk with the dog. I noticed two things:
1. Either my gait is incorrect or I'm not used to barefooting on concrete (gee), but my heel was in a bit of pain at the end from striking the ground.
2. I almost got a blister on both feet. It occurred at the point where the material with the tightening cord goes over the large tendon that moves the big toe upward (extensor hallucis longus). It was more more painful on my left foot as I have a prominent vein right where the fabric was making contact.

Otherwise, they look pretty cool to me. It's somewhat of a battle to get all toes into the appropriate slots; the pinky toe is the most difficult, as it's the least mobile. I'll take them for a more serious adventure tomorrow when I got downtown to pickup a book from the library... and do some shootin'.
Yep, your gait is wrong, thanks to being used to walking around in shoes with cushions under the heels. The way your foot is supposed to plant is initially on the fleshy outside edge rolling slightly forward to the ball of your foot, which is what is supposed to take your weight. The heel is not supposed to take the weight. In this way, the arch compresses to take the weight and the achilles tendon stretches and turns your entire leg into a giant shock-absorbing spring far superior to any of that air gel crap they've ever shoehorned into the heels of anyone's shoes. You're not supposed to plant your heels when you walk.

Walking with a biomechanically correct gait may cause you some pain and tightness in the back of the calves at first. This is normal, as the spots where the achilles tendons connect to the calf muscles may not be used to being used that way. They will adjust.

Blisters are a possibility anytime you've got something rubbing against spots that aren't used to rubbing. The skin'll get used to it.

K-9, I'm pretty sure a neoprene strip like that would, in the long run, restrict the range of motion in a negative way, which would be contrary to the philosophy of the shoe.
07-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I thought they were made that way so you could still climb trees and peel bananas with your toes, like a chimp.
Ook, Ook!

Jim