Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 04:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Dream" photo gear acquired

Just had to share... I finally, after many years of wanting one, picked up a Leica M series. I've had my IIf and previously a III screwmount, but have wanted an M since the first time I saw one. Fortune finally smiled upon me, and I spotted an M4-2 on ebay with the auction ending on a Monday morning -- not a lot of action on it and I scored it for a very good price.

Happy days! (And it turns out the guy who serviced my other Leicas also works on the all-mechanical Ms so he will do a full CLA on it for me. Should last many years after that.)

07-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow -- congrats! Now...what lens(es) do you plan on using?
07-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am debating just getting a LTM->M adapter and keep my ~1936 vintage uncoated Summar since it's such a wonderful lens. Possibly pick up a Voigtlander 35/2.5 as well since they perform admirably and are very inexpensive.
07-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Banned

the only Leica I would ever want would be an R3. when it comes to rangefinders I think ill take a Bessa any day of the week. mmmmm.... R3a and nokton 40mm. but congrats on the acquisition! my only rangefinders are Japanese Petri's the colour 35 is an amazing little camera, but its no Leica I suppose.

07-21-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Bessas are great and no doubt a more usable and modern camera than an older M body... but I've been wanting one for a loooong time and had to take the opportunity.

Side note on the M4-2: up until the late 70s all the M bodies had been 'handcrafted' in the regard that the factory workers would do a lot of part picking and tweaking and adjusting to get things just so... then Leica was going to drop manufacturing of the M line altogether and focus on the R (SLR) series since they figured it was the future. The guy running the Canadian Leica plant convinced management in Germany to let him have a go at making rangefinder cameras in a more efficient way, and the M4-2 was born. The idea was to have higher precision machining on the components so they wouldn't require so much adjusting and tweaking during the manufacturing process. Initially this lead to a few bumps in the road, the first few hundred M4-2 cameras suffered from lots of issues, and the entire production run got a bad rep from it, even though the bugs were quickly ironed out and apart from the initial batch the M4-2 is every bit as fine a camera as the other Ms... but as often happens, especially these days with all the Internet communications, things get blown out of proportion and the M4-2 suffers from a poor reputation even more today than before. The upside is that they can be had for a bit less than the other Ms, and you still get the same build and quality.
07-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats on the purchase. Care to divulge how much you got it for? There are times when I feel the urge to get a rangefinder, hopefully someday I might push through with it.
07-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
$400.01 -- I made a guess that the high bidder had put in $400 max and added a penny to that 5 seconds before closing...

A CLA on it from Youxin Ye (he works on all mechanical-only Leicas and does a *fantastic* job) is under $100 unless parts need replacing so I'll have a nice M4-2 for < $500 all said and done.

Probably will sell the IIf now, as much as I love it... trying to reduce the amount of gear and end up with a handful of things I *really* like.

Just ordered up an LTM->M adapter from Adorama, decided to go with the Summar for now.

If you just want a rangefinder, you can find a lot of nice 60s/70s cameras for well under $100 just to get your feet wet. Feel free to hit me up with any questions and I can probably offer some advice on makes and models depending on your needs and wants.

07-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
$400.01 -- I made a guess that the high bidder had put in $400 max and added a penny to that 5 seconds before closing...

A CLA on it from Youxin Ye (he works on all mechanical-only Leicas and does a *fantastic* job) is under $100 unless parts need replacing so I'll have a nice M4-2 for < $500 all said and done.
damn that's a good price. how have you been metering?
07-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteQuote:
If you just want a rangefinder, you can find a lot of nice 60s/70s cameras for well under $100 just to get your feet wet.
that's no joke.

olympus, rollei, petri, canon, minolta, kodak, argus, konica, yashica, zorki, FED, ricoh, mamiya, etc, etc.

the only rangefinders that will cost any 'real' money would be the leica's, viogtlander's, zeiss ikon contax's & the nikon's.
07-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that's no joke.

olympus, rollei, petri, canon, minolta, kodak, argus, konica, yashica, zorki, FED, ricoh, mamiya, etc, etc.

the only rangefinders that will cost any 'real' money would be the leica's, viogtlander's, zeiss ikon contax's & the nikon's.
The Canon 7/P and similar will run a few bucks too. My favorite "cheapie" is the Kiev -- I have a 4 which is a great little camera. Fedka.com is a good place for finding good copies of the russian RF cameras.

As for metering, I just eyeball it on the IIf and will continue to do the same. After doing manual or no metering for a while you get a pretty good "feel" for it, and using C41 negative film you have a fair bit of forgiveness for exposure errors. Or use TriX and Diafine and you can pretty much expose it +/- 3 stops and get decent results.
07-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteQuote:
As for metering, I just eyeball it on the IIf and will continue to do the same. After doing manual or no metering for a while you get a pretty good "feel" for it
that may be true, but I would not be caught without my sekonic. that thing is more invaluable than any piece of equipment I own. I think I could probably do rather well myself concerning 'eyeballing it' but I imagine I would be second guessing myself every time until I pull out the lightmeter.
07-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote

Probably will sell the IIf now, as much as I love it... trying to reduce the amount of gear and end up with a handful of things I *really* like.

Just ordered up an LTM->M adapter from Adorama, decided to go with the Summar for now.

If you just want a rangefinder, you can find a lot of nice 60s/70s cameras for well under $100 just to get your feet wet. Feel free to hit me up with any questions and I can probably offer some advice on makes and models depending on your needs and wants.
Wow, that *is* a good price. Again, congrats.

Thanks for the assist. I'll do basic research first, so I can get most of the simple questions out of the way. What I do know is that I'd want an interchangeable-lens system just so I could share lenses between that and the E-P1 via adapters.

that's no joke.

Seems like there are plenty of choices to pick from. That's good. I like choices.
07-22-2009, 04:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Wow, that *is* a good price. Again, congrats.

Thanks for the assist. I'll do basic research first, so I can get most of the simple questions out of the way. What I do know is that I'd want an interchangeable-lens system just so I could share lenses between that and the E-P1 via adapters.
Keep in mind that pretty much all Leica screwmount lenses will work on M mount cameras via an adapter, so if you get an M to u4/3 adapter you can use just about anything made in either mount. M lenses are pretty costly still but you can find quite a bit of interesting LTM (screwmount/M39) glass that doesn't break the bank. It would be interesting to see how the really old uncoated glass (e.g. the Summar I have) looks on a modern digital camera.

One thing to watch out for, I'd presume, is the collapsible lenses. I'd imagine the E-P1 doesn't have enough room inside to handle those. It's very easy to temporarily make it non-collapsible though, with a rubber band or tape around the extending barrel.
07-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

that's no joke.

And Canons.
07-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
And Canons.
?

I don't think canons are that expensive. certainly more so than the others listed but not generally in the same league price wise as Leica, Voigtlander, Nikon & Zeiss.

you can get canonets for peanuts. the P is the only one that is overly desirable, but even then its a bargain choice when concerning Leica screw mount.