Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which has the greatest sound range?
CD's 717.95%
MP3 410.26%
Cassette 25.13%
Vinyl 2666.67%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Vinyl precision is not unlimited. Its not possible to make a perfect analogue recording, storage or reproduction. Vinyl have a problem of reproducing:

- high frequencies
- large amplitudes and
- track precision (amplitude accuracy)

I'm convinced that CDs are far more accurate if mastered with sense, and that vinyl in practice degrades faster too. Vinyl goes from bad to even worse when used a lot.
And then there is the provisions for having your turntable mounted in cement to further reduce embellishing vibrations. This takes up a lot of valuable space in your car's glove compartment, however. Even in a hoopy Escalade, G.

07-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Also, it's hard to use your handmade camel hair brush and canned air to clean the dust out of the grooves while you're legally required to keep both hands on the steering wheel when doing 100 on the highway.
07-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the old days (1970's)

• 100 w/p/c Pioneer Amp (I forget the model number, but it had lighted, analog needle amp meters on the front) with dual tape inputs
  • AR-99 bookshelf speakers (when Acoustic Research speaker boxes were real wood and Henry Kloss worked there). I tinned the speaker wire.
  • Dual TEAC cassette decks with mahogany faces
  • I just can't remember the turntable - perhaps it was also Pioneer - but it was a belt-drive platter and a big deal at the time.
My roommate and I eventually bought two Revox reel-to-reel decks, Bose 901's on stands, recorded 500 or so 50's and 60's 45's and dee-jayed (unknowingly breaking EVERY copyright law on the books) sorority dances.

We sold all the stuff when we graduated - except the AR's - still have those.
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #49

Am I the only complete luddite who likes to listen to real live people making real live music in person?

07-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #50
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by malkin Quote
Am I the only complete luddite who likes to listen to real live people making real live music in person?
uh, that would be a no.
07-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by malkin Quote
No. But some of us love listening to music they way it was intended - perfect, free of errors, intrusive noise, and so on...

Matter of taste.
07-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Voted MP3, though I really meant lossless APE or WAV

07-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I voted mp3.

All I can say for my reasoning is the best thing they ever did at work was allow personal headphone/radio use. I can now drown out annoying gossipping co-workers, or simply wear the headphones and pretend to ignore them. Thus the mp3 player does more for me than a turntable would do sitting at home collecting dust while I'm at work suffering.

-Dan
(ps I understand the question was more about audio quality, but I figure the arguments are so in favor of vinyl that it's a silly poll, so I had to be different)
07-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #54
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I voted mp3.

All I can say for my reasoning is the best thing they ever did at work was allow personal headphone/radio use. I can now drown out annoying gossipping co-workers, or simply wear the headphones and pretend to ignore them. Thus the mp3 player does more for me than a turntable would do sitting at home collecting dust while I'm at work suffering.

-Dan
(ps I understand the question was more about audio quality, but I figure the arguments are so in favor of vinyl that it's a silly poll, so I had to be different)
Silly yes. But it wasn't politics.
07-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #55
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I voted mp3.

-Dan
That's the what's more portable poll. Your ballot is challenged.
07-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vinyl has made a comeback in the last few years. Its incorrect to say new music isn't on vinyl. Go to Best Buy, Hot Topic, Hastings or many other stores and find new albums by Guns & Roses, Vampire Weekend, Metallica, etc. Possible that LPs will out live CDs. With computers & portables we don't even need CDs any more.

Vinyl has arguably more dynamic range than CD. No argument that it has greater frequency response. Any decent testing facility can prove it. CD can not go above 22.5K. Vinyl can go way past that (quad LPs went out to about 47K for the rear channel info).

MP3 is rough. Why compress ( throw away) music when storage is so cheap? Use FLAC, WAV, or uncompressed Apple format for much better sound. Have FLAC on the Sansa Fuze. Want the Korg player. Only portable to do SACD!

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT #20 Contest WINNERS in compact camera forum. Enter # 21. Any brand camera. Enter now!