Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which has the greatest sound range?
CD's 717.95%
MP3 410.26%
Cassette 25.13%
Vinyl 2666.67%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
graphicgr8s

Music

Just listening to the news here and they're talking about the tonal quality of digital music. Basically they're saying digital doesn't have the same quality of vinyl.

07-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vinyl is better because your original waveform is analogue, and hence perfectly accurate, while digital media only approximate analogue waveforms, albeit at a very high frequency. It's like trying to approximate a curve with a series of straight lines - the higher the frequency, the more straight lines, the more it LOOKS like a curve, but it still actually isn't.

I would, however, like to see someone take a turntable with amps and audiophile grade headphones on the bus.

07-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

You HAD to go and get semi-technical didn't you?
07-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think there'll be much debate about this.

Vinyl is better not because of the inherent properties of vinyl, but because of the nature of the recording, as kcmadr has pointed out.

SACD/DVD-A could made the tonality advantage of vinyl pretty much academic, had either format really taken off.

07-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mp3s save space by deleting areas out of the human range so they are out by default. CDs have improved over the past 20 years, but I still give the edge to a Vinyl that isn't worn. The use of diamond needles helps keep vinyl in better shape.
07-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I don't think there'll be much debate about this.
True but at least it ain't politics.
07-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Phonographs are badass.

/Thread
07-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't vote. Issue too complicated...

CD's while getting better over the last 15 yrs isn't high fidelity.

MP3s are lossy compressed so are out.

Cassette? Unless we're talking about top quality copies run on top quality rigs their performance is miserable.

Vinyl? Well, the winner by default given your choices. However, most normal humans will never have the gear and the type of setup to get what vinyl can lay down.

So, I'd say for mere humans and not obscenely wealthy audiophiles it's digital all the way. Lossless, at a very high bit rate.

Regards,
Mike

07-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If "cassette" were changed to "tape" the poll results would be completely different. Tape is the only option listed above that is a viable recording medium; all the others are purely for reproduction.
07-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
If "cassette" were changed to "tape" the poll results would be completely different. Tape is the only option listed above that is a viable recording medium; all the others are purely for reproduction.
Well, he said cassette rather than reel-to-reel. There are some good quality cassettes available for the audiophile as well. The biggest trouble with cassettes is the mechanics not holding up. However, I have some ~ 30 years old that still work o.k.
07-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
Igilligan

After being in bands for years, my ears are shot... And I can still hear the difference

07-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I love my rekkids.
Convenience and reproduction in sounds that were lost due to neglect force me to have many compact discs and other digital music.
But I love me rekkids.
07-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I wonder if the 2 folks who voted for "mp3" also shoot JPG...?
07-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
I wonder if the 2 folks who voted for "mp3" also shoot JPG...?
Canon ... Pentax
Jpeg .... RAW
Film ... Digital
Vinyl ... MP3

... round and round we go!

Deep minded technical results can be interesting to some folks but the end result is what works best for me.
I still have a decent quality, linear-tracking, direct-drive turntable with Yamaha amp and monsterous Queon speakers. But I haven't used this system in years simply because it is too big for our current home and all of the latest music is in digital format. MP3 or CD may be measurable inferior to the techies, but it's good enough for me. I have several thousand songs on one MP3 storage device that can fit in my pocket. Compare this to the 3 milk crates of LP's in the attic and the space required to setup the equipment just to listen to them it is no contest.
07-24-2009, 05:31 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Fi

I voted for vinyl only because reel-to-reel isn't listed. And that's a reel-to-reel deck and amp with tubes (valves), of course.